Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Gary O Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have a newly manufactured M70 with the new trigger. After test fireing today I need to adjust the pull-weight downward. Anything I should know? Any suggestions? Thanks...

Gary

Never underestimate the likelihood that the Republicans will cave...
GB1

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Gary,

There will be expoxy coating on the adjustment screw. I had a hard time removing it. I finally was able to pick it off with a knife blade and a push pin. There may be something that would melt it, but I did not try anything like that.

Even with my adjustment screw completely removed my trigger was still at 4.2 lbs, a drop from the 5 lbs. + it came from the factory with.

I called Winchester and they asked me to send it to them. Had it back in 10 or 12 days with the trigger at a crisp 3.2 lbs., as I remember.

I like the feel of the new model 70 trigger, but I share the concerns raised here of why change a good thing, and what happens when the enclosed trigger system of the FN gets wet/frozen or just dirty and needs field attention.

But hey, thats a whole different discussion.

C
CCH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I used acetone and a cotton swab to remove the epoxy on mine. It wasn't a quick job.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Gary O,

Go to erniethegunsmith.com. Buy a lighter weight trigger pull spring. Follow directions on p. 21 of your manual, and those you will get to Ernie. Replace old trigger pull spring with one from ernie.
Insert trigger spring screw. Screw it in(clockwise), then back the screw off, until you find a weight you can live with. Some campers don't put the screw back in, but I put mine back in with just a couple of threads holding and used blue loc-tite. I then used some of my wife's finger nail glue on the outside of screw where it makes contact with front of the trigger group.

I now have a rifle with a 3.5 to 4 lb pull, with no creep, that breaks crisp with no overtravel. Let's face it, this was never intended to be a bench rest gun. Most campers would probably agree, that when you get the cross hairs in the right place you probably will not even remember pulling the trigger.

Trigger pull on the 70 MOA is never going to be as good as a Sako or Kimber. I would bet that before long, Timney, Basix, etc. will have a replacement. If you want further info send me a PM.

G2

Last edited by Gramps2; 09/12/10.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 163bc, 1lessdog, 16penny, 55 invisible), 2,069 guests, and 1,143 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,198
Posts18,465,978
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.