Bastard!

Toldjaso

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Please look at GreyBull an american trying to run a small bussiness . The way the ecomomy is these days please give him credit for leaving the dream and being succesful at what he enjoys doing.

If people want and are willing to pay the price of his rifles more power to them. I have a number of Jarretts that have costs me $1,000s They probably do not shoot any better than one that could be made by a smaller unknown smith. But its my money and it is something I have wanted for years

If people are trained to shoot long distaces succesfully that is great and I am envious that they can shoot that far

In closing please look at him as man that is tryuing to make a business instead of sitting at home collectiing unemploymet. Also thinks of the other US companies that he is buying his materials from that are putting money in their pockets

I think it is time to give him credit an dclose this post

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think for a few of us here, we do not disagree andrews1958, and I wish the man well. At the same time, many may believe in seeing reality for what it is, behind any possible smoke and mirrors of the glory of long range shooting on game.

I accept we all have a right to pursue the shooting and hunting sports as we see fit in America, so long as it's legal. Likewise, Americans have a right to be responsible, ethical, sportsman IF they so desire. OR they can be slob hunters...shooters, who may maim and wound game needlessly giving others a bad rap.

I do hope and wish whoever uses his system, or a similar system, OR sees ANY long range kills on video and get the burning urge to kill something whether they feel like 'Ishi the Yani Indian who taught Saxton Pope and Art Young', Daniel Boone, Tom Young - Buffalo Hunter, or Carlos Hathcock - One shot One kill military sniper......that they take a 'mindset' with them in the field that they should learn what they are doing, before they apply techniques and equipment on game. That mindset hopefully will put their endgoal at 1st shot, clean kill when it comes time to squeeze.

Changing winds, game that may move, and uphill/downhill angles might give them different results than what they see on these videos of long range shooting of game. This needs to be understood IMHO.

Mr. Burns, I wish you all the success sir and all shooters/hunters alike who pursue the art/sport of long range shooting of game.

Now everyone enjoy your weekend.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
In my case I sent an old (1970's vintage) Remington action to Gre-Tan Rifles and had a complete "blueprint" job done, action and bolt trued, bolt sleeved and timed, Gre-Tan firing pin and bolt shroud installed, firing pin bushed, and a Schneider barrel installed (I supplied the barrel)for about $850.00. Made my own pillar bedded stock and the whole thing came to under $1,500.00 with a Farrell base, using an existing 6-24x scope. Performance is exceptional, with .5" or smaller groups the rule.

I have neither loyalty or concern for businesses or brands, settling on performance versus cost relative to performance, the formula for value. I can easily match any custom gunsmith's product, with the exception of dedicated competition benchrest rifles, using Savage actions, prefit high-end barrels and commonly available stocks and parts.

Still, there is a place for the high-end rifle smith; I wish them all well.

As for Camera Land, I shop all retail outlets on-line based on price alone. All scopes are warrantied by the manufacturer so service is not a problem. I just checked a Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x X40 Multi-X AO price at Camera Land = $519.99 or $520.00, with delayed delivery. Another vendor sells the same scope for $479.00 with uncanny delivery - in my case they arrive overnight or within two days if ordered early in the week. Both offer free shipping. This is not a slam against Camera land, rather it's a market fact. Each vendor has inventory, overhead, regulatory, labor and indirect expenses to cover in the prices they charge, so the more efficient on-line distributor without brick and mortar storefront costs will be cheaper. Also Camera Land is more a general merchandiser offering a larger array of optical goods and other products including everything from Aquapac waterproof gear to photo printers, adding inventory control and shipping expenses.

Purchasing an advertisement on a forum board does not guarantee user preference, but it does provide an opportunity for inclusion in the vendor selection process.

Last edited by WranglerJohn; 09/11/10.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Based on the phone calls I need to clear up a few things concerning the rifle Wayne used for the shot.

We do not build rifles in 6.5 Creedmoor. Magnum Research installed the barrel and then bedded the rifle in our stock.

I did do the breakin, mounted the optic, and collected the drop data for the custom turret.

If you want a 6.5 Creedmoor I can say they did a very good job, I bore scoped it before I started shooting and the chamber was centered and the throat was smooth. It was chambered using a SAMMI spec chamber with live pilot in one of their Carbon wrapped barrels.

The gun shot very well with the ammo supplied to me from Hornady.

The reason we don�t do the Creedmoor is I feel the 243 Win 105VLD is more versatile.

After we see how ammo and brass availability turns out we may add it to the line but it will not be for a while so don�t hold your breath.

Short answer is if you really want a setup just like Wayne�s (that was his personal rifle) call Magnum and order the rifle from them. We can supply the optic and stock.

This will be cheaper but you will have to do some of the work yourself such as mounting, data, load development if you choose not to use factory, and breakin.

Hopefully this will answer a reoccurring question.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

IC B2

I keep seeing people complaining about the price of GreyBull rifles and constantly bashing John for shooting long distances at game. It would really be nice to come to a site like this and be able to discuss or research hunting/shooting issues without a lot of childish banter from certain members that detract from hunting sites because of their own limitations and preconceived ideas. State an opinion if you want and then let it go for GOD's sake! Here are some facts and some opinions of mine:

Cost of a custom rifle WITH AN ACCURACY GUARANTEE = 2500 TO 3000 dollars

Price of a box of ammunition = Average maybe $40. Multiply that by the number of boxes needed to properly break in a new barrel, find a load that particular rifle likes, then get the drop data at various ranges.

Cost to buy a scope with custom turrets/rings/bases from Leupold = 1000 - 1200 maybe?

Now add the time, money and knowledge it's gonna cost you to (PROPERLY) mount your scope (I believe they lap rings for you), go to a range, properly break in your barrel, get data out to whatever range he gets it to for you, then work out all the little pain in the butt bugs that will inevitably occur. After this they wrap it in a nice little package with bow on it (just kidding about the bow I think) and send it to you. Lets not forget the guy has also gotta feed his kids or himself if he has no kids.

I have custom rifles that I went through all these steps on and I have an ass load more money than 6000 invested in some of them, but I learned a hell of a lot in the process, so to me it's worth it. Now after all this stuff is done for ya' all you gotta do is go out, LEARN THE ART, PRACTICE A LOT in real conditions and enjoy your rifle.

These rifles are for people that either don't have the desire or time to go through all these steps.

As far as John Burns shooting at distances that some consider "unnecessarily long". If all everyone did was the same old thing that everyone else always does we as hunters or as a country would never have gotten to where we are. Those guys have probably got a lot of people back in the woods and spured more interest in hunting than anyone has in a great while. For this I am very thankful.

I spend thousands of dollars every year on ammo, and barrels because I love to practice, and to hunt more than anything else. A big part of hunting for me is not how close I can get, but to know that I"m good enough that when I hunt if I see it, and it's within my comfort zone (aint' as far as John's but it aint' close either) I'm gonna bring meat home. But guess what, I'm buying a muzzleloader too because I've never tried that type hunting, it's a new challenge and as long as I'm in the woods I'm having fun.

So try to stop dogging someone else's idea of what hunting, or just what's fun is to them and maybe try to learn a little from 'em.

GOD knows hunters need to stick together now cause the flaming liberal left and anti gun whackos are doing everything they can to f^&k the sport/lifestyle up that supposedly we all love, not to mention what they are tying to do to our country in general. Ever hear someone say merry Christmas on the phone when you call a business during Christmas time any more?

And for you John Burns, keep that sense of humor. That is a rare and refreshing commodity these days.

Happy out

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by HappyShooter
I have custom rifles that I went through all these steps on and I have an ass load more money than 6000 invested
Hummm....1 post.

Happy Shooter, new member huh? Welcome. How about for your 2nd post, show us your custom rifles. You can post them in 'blueprints or on this thread. You must have some nice customs with an azz load more than $6000 invested.

Last edited by slg888; 09/14/10.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
slg888,

re: HappyShooter - new guy on the 'fire and new at hunting are different things.

Also, I don't own a GreyBull, and maybe never will, but I wouldn't bash a man that makes a quality product that people buy, and I NEVER see on gunbroker 2nd hand. As in I have a search that sends me e-mails when something gets posted and I've never seen a GreyBull rifle listed.

I think one of you nay sayers ought to take him up on his challenge and out shoot him with your rifle vs. him shooting one of his.

Else, I think you're full of [bleep].

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JPro
I think for some rifle nuts, the process of building a custom rifle is the majority of the fun. Learning about what works and what won't, and then applying it all with some measure of success is what makes their wheels go 'round. For others, it may be only the end resut that is of concern. They only want to be the racecar driver, not the mechanic, not the engineer.

I kinda see these Greybull rifles as the "crate engines" of the rifle market. The homework is done by someone with experience, the parts are optimized to work well together, and the turnkey performance is guaranteed. That well-built, yet expensive crate engine may be perfect for the man who wants to bolt it in and run, but it may hold little interest for the grease-monkey who dreams about camshaft specs, intake manifolds, and stretching his dollars. He wants to build his own from the bottom up, even if it might not turn out as nicely as that high-end engine he could have ordered with a phone call. Perhaps one day he has the means but no longer has the time, and it is then that he appreciates a turnkey engine for what it is. At that point, it may sound like a bargain.

I say this is SPOT ON!

If you want and can afford a greybull then I'd say go for it. If you don't then don't and go buy something else.

I'm proud to see a firearm company in the US have good success and be able to sale their product to willing customers that seem to enjoy the goods.

At times, I (a hunter) honestly believe our worst enemy can be ourselves (hunters).

Enjoying Each Sunrise...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by slg888
Originally Posted by HappyShooter
I have custom rifles that I went through all these steps on and I have an ass load more money than 6000 invested
Hummm....1 post.

Happy Shooter, new member huh? Welcome. How about for your 2nd post, show us your custom rifles. You can post them in 'blueprints or on this thread. You must have some nice customs with an azz load more than $6000 invested.

Judge a man by how many posts he has on hunting website?.....thats funny right there!! No, thats lame.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Greybull prices are a joke and so is BOW TV show.

How many ranches have you or the BOW guys been kicked off of now for wounding animals, JB?

You'd have done better to spend your $ on a site where the members are uninformed dumbazzes who can't shoot, don't know or care when they're being ripped off, and enjoy having smoke blown up their a$$e$.......

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
i would have saved a pile of money if i'd just bought a GreyBull right off the bat instead of learning this schitt by trial and error. those errors get expensive. thirty years and untold $$ of "independent research" and my current long range rifle is, guess what, a 10# 700 with a Jewell trigger chambered in .264 Win.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
to bad you cant show the civility that Mr. Burns has shown thru this entire thread if you dont like what he offers than move on and let well enough be

gene

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Last I checked this was an open forum dedicated to the discussion of custom firearms

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
But you are not discussing custom firearms, merely attacking and making completely unsupported accusations.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gents,

Let's cut JB some slack. OK, so many of us aren't into the long-range thing but that doesn't mean we can't learn something and welcome another campfire member.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My last take on this schit!! I'm saying what I feel, if it bothers some of you, then so be it - at least I spoke from my heart, not what I think others want to hear.

#1 - JB, the best to you & Grey Bull Precision, seriously!! I don't agree with your pricing, but I'm just one guy. What works for me, doesn't work for the next guy & vice versa.

#2 - No one has ever questioned the shooting abilities of JB - Hell, he shoots schit at big time distances - well over distances I have ever shot, none-the-less killed something.

The only thing questioned was the price of his rifles with the components used. Like it or not, they are what they are & only YOU can decide if it meets your needs. For me, it doesn't fit my needs - no problems!!

No one has personally attacked JB - only questioned his cost. Evertything in life has positive & negative sides to it, even custom rifles.

#3 - I have not heard many other "thank yous" to the other sponsors of this site. Hmmm, could it be that JB was on a TV hunting show?? NO OFFENSE TO JB, but its seems some on here like to kiss his azz. We have a ton of sponsors on here & not many "thank yous" were thrown out until the "TV Guy" became a sponsor!! Now alot want to get on their knees and thank him - it must be nice to be on the side of the TV guy??

I personally don't think that is what JB is looking for!! I think he wants to advertise & sell his rifles. Does his sponsorship help us have this great site, hell yeah, but so does the other great sponsors. Thank you to ALL of them!!

Good hunting to all!!

Last edited by 300MAG; 09/14/10.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah Jeff, no one's EVER given Doug any props.... grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Skane,

Why is that...............because Doug did something for them???

As far as I know, no-one has a GreyBull rifle on this site.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In defense of slg888 I can see how he might be a little suspicious of HappyShooters first post. He might have handled it with a little more tact and given HappyShooter the benefit of the doubt.

Slg888 is really just starting to learn what is involved in setting up a really good hunting rifle and the name scribed on the side of the action is not the most important thing, unless you just want to brag to your buddies.

If a guy has the time and knowledge he can do a lot of the the work himself and get a truly great hunting rifle ready to go for less than $3000.

Here is the formula I would recommend:

1. Remington SPS Stainless in 7MM Rem Mag
2. Optic suitable for both close and far shots. You can guess my recommendation
3. High quality synthetic stock. I would recommend the Greybull stock SURPRISE
4. Rugged scope mounts and I would suggest a 20MOA tilt
5. Jewel trigger. Don�t screw around here, just do it right
6. Retumbo powder, Berger 180gr VLDs, Winchester Brass, Mag primers

If the VLDs don�t shoot well when loaded to kiss the leade in the factory throat then either sell the rifle and get another or have a good gunsmith screw on a good barrel with a throat designed to handle the VLDs.

80% of the factory Rem SPS I have tested will shoot the VLDs into � MOA of less when loaded to kiss the rifling.

You will most likely have about 40hrs in to setting everything up and have a rifle that will stand toe to toe with anything in the world.

Some guys have way more time and money invested in rifles that are 400yd guns, at best. It is impossible to learn to shoot at 800yds with a 400yd gun.

The only way anyone is ever going to learn to shoot well at extended distance is to first get a rifle that will perform at extended distance.

Lots of different ideas on how to get the rifle and we can either supply our turn key approach or some of the parts (or none of the parts) for the guy who want the satisfaction and has the time to do it himself.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Page 10 of 22 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

702 members (12344mag, 1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 160user, 77 invisible), 3,050 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,267
Posts18,467,242
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.