Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I read the whole thread and it was worth it, for the laughs.

When the OP said that nitrogen was heavier than air, perhaps he forgot that nitrogen makes up about 78% of the air. Oxygen, a heavier atom than nitrogen, makes up about 21% and argon, a much heavier atom, makes up about 1% or the atmosphere.

The other funny one was the bit about moisture being heavier than the N2 molecule. That's probably why I get getting woken up by huge clouds crashing down to ground do to the heavy water vapor molecule. Whoops, water is H2O so when in a vapor state, such as in humid environments, it's lighter than air.

Argon is a noble gas and does not react with anything, it's completely inert and is 38% denser than air, which is why it makes a better medium in a riflescope than nitrogen. It has low thermal conductivity and that's why you find it in double and triple-pane windows.

BTW, March scopes are filled with argon instead of nitrogen.

BP-B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by battue
If some want to dunk their scopes in hot water so be it. Since that is something that is hard to imagine a scope being subjected to, I find little interest in doing so for the reason of why subject it to an extreme that may cause it to fail prematurely. Which in all likelihood would be at the wrong time. Leave them outside on a cold winter night then bring them in the house and see what happens seems to be more realistic of real world conditions. Let the manufacturer do the extreme testing in it's R/D department. Can't remember of hearing about a Leupold of recent manufacturer fogging. Even by the non Leupold people on this forum.

I agree. Regardless of scope brand, I do not water test my scopes for leaky seals. That is another thing that should be done at some stage of engineering or QC. As far as "What if your scope fogs up on you on an expensive or remote hunt"? In that case, I remove the scope, put it in my pack and within less than 2 minutes have those old useless, outdated, pre-zeroed iron sights installed and keep hunting. RJ

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by FTR_Shooter

When the OP said that nitrogen was heavier than air, perhaps he forgot that nitrogen makes up about 78% of the air. Oxygen, a heavier atom than nitrogen, makes up about 21% and argon, a much heavier atom, makes up about 1% or the atmosphere.

The other funny one was the bit about moisture being heavier than the N2 molecule. That's probably why I get getting woken up by huge clouds crashing down to ground do to the heavy water vapor molecule. Whoops, water is H2O so when in a vapor state, such as in humid environments, it's lighter than air.

Argon is a noble gas and does not react with anything, it's completely inert and is 38% denser than air, which is why it makes a better medium in a riflescope than nitrogen. It has low thermal conductivity and that's why you find it in double and triple-pane windows.

Tract also claims to be filled with argon

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by JeffP

Thanks for the info. So I sauntered over to their website and did a search for argon. It seems they only use argon in three of their spotting scopes; the 30X80, 22X80, and the 27-55X80. None of their riflescopes have argon.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Thanks for the info. So I sauntered over to their website and did a search for argon. It seems they only use argon in three of their spotting scopes; the 30X80, 22X80, and the 27-55X80. None of their riflescopes have argon.

Actually Tract riflescopes are filled with Argon.
This from one of the owners

"Good morning John, yes our scopes are filled with argon gas"

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Badda boom

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

From one of the owners of Tract

"We specifically request Argon Gas to be used in our rifle scopes, binoculars and spotting scopes."

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Just about everyone here can experience a leakdown if they keep a vehicle long enough.

The little black cylinders, gas springs is the term I think, that hold up car hoods or the rear hatch are nitrogen charged & work harder than the gas that's in a scope. Considering that, the gas springs have a pretty good lifespan.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I always do the boiling water test after the throwing test. crazy

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
It escapes from every scope brand except NF which has super duper sealed and bedded lenses smile

IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by jwp475

Excellent. I can only go by what they say at the website. If they don't mention it for the riflescopes but they do for the spotting scopes, that means the riflescopes do not have it because in my book that is a differentiator, and they don't mention it; they sillies.

So now, only the few readers of this thread know that.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

Excellent. I can only go by what they say at the website. If they don't mention it for the riflescopes but they do for the spotting scopes, that means the riflescopes do not have it because in my book that is a differentiator, and they don't mention it; they sillies.

So now, only the few readers of this thread know that.

Pick a toric riflescope
Scroll down under the toric line (IDK about the rest)
Under features of the toric scopes

[Linked Image]

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
FTR SHOOTER,you are spreading miss information

https://tractoptics.com/videosview/argon-vs-nitrogen-gas.html

They fully explain that Tracts are filled with argon

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F

I can see why you were banned on another website, with comments like that.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I can see why you were banned on another website, with comments like that.

For being factual? Which you weren't

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F

Pick a toric riflescope
Scroll down under the toric line (IDK about the rest)
Under features of the toric scopes

[Linked Image]

Excellent. I used their search engine, typed in argon and it came back with 3 results, their spotting scope that I listed. I had to actually go look at each one and do a ctl-f argon to find it.

I think they need to work on their website.

Good job, JeffP.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
89 members (99Ozarks, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, akshooting, 15 invisible), 1,640 guests, and 748 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,758
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.