Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1,261 of 1,842 1 2 1259 1260 1261 1262 1263 1841 1842
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Congrats on the new baby CBF! Going to bed now and again at 8 pm is not shameful, in fact, I encourage it!

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Congrats on the new baby....

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Congrats to the new parents! A virtual cigar for everyone! (do they still do that?)

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot
Congrats to the new parents! A virtual cigar for everyone! (do they still do that?)

Box of cigars must cost about the same as a 4 year college education these days.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Where is everybody??? It says yesterday as the last post is this possible??????

Felt like a heat wave today 18 degrees for the high......LOL...
No wind for once...

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Outside with my son. Finally warm enough to be out for more than an hour sledding.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Not if you're working outside it didn't. laugh I was cold anyway, but it was nice, yes.

Camp is where you make it.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
We made it up to 15* today. Wind had a bite to it and the streets were greasy as heck. Salt that had been laid down before the cold snap finally started to work.

IF was minus 25* at 5:30 this morning. Dave was probably colder.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Pretty steady at zero for a high, but I saw my temp reading in my car tease around with 1 degree above zero in several spots on my drive home today.

But Bill was colder this morning, I think it was only 9 or 10 below here when I left for work this morning.

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
A real heat wave up there.

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
What kind of boots do you Gents wear to keep your footsies warm? I was in a layout blind hunting ducks/geese Sunday and even with Sorel pac boots and toe warmer stickies I thought I had frostbite. Took my boot socks off and my toes were white. Hurt like the dickens as they warmed up. There's gotta be something warmer.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
12* above this this morning. Talk about a heat wave. smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Merry Christmas to all the Chickenbuckers. Muzzleloader season ends this weekend, and if it stays in this relative heatwave mode again, I might actually go out for a few hours on Sunday.

Guys, I need some help here. A couple weeks ago I posted a thread asking for prayers and donations for my best friend from high school, Bill. He and his beautiful wife were visiting their daughter in Ohio when they got a call at 4 a.m. on Thanksgiving morning. Their house had burned to the ground. It was a total loss. They could salvage nothing. When the firefighters learned there was no one in the house, they pulled back and just let it go. When the first truck arrived on scene, the fire had all ready breached the roof and the north wall. It was an old wood-framed farm house, and went very fast.

Bill and Lori lost everything, including Bill's hunting gear. I have mounted an effort to replace Bill's gear. Through the generous donations of many of our members here, Bill will have a full set of gear by the time deer season rolls around next year.

I will be sending him a pellet gun (to shoot with the grand kids) a .22 semi-auto Marlin out of my stuff that I don't shoot much any more, and Leighton has graciously donated a Winchester 1300 12 gauge for him. I am working on a deer rifle and hope to have that bought for him within the next couple months here.

Our members, in true Campfire form, have stepped to the plate and covered most everything Bill will need to hunt next fall. The only things I'm still looking for are a pair of sz. 13 hunting boots, and sz. XXL long johns. Used gear is fine. If you have anything to spare, please contact me at your convenience.

Most of the small stuff has all ready been covered, but if you have anything you'd like to contribute, it will be going to a good cause.

They lost everything-nothing inside the house could be salvaged. The fire burned so hot, they couldn't even get near the foundation by Friday night. Other efforts have been mounted to help them out. I wanted to help the best way I could, so Bill will not want for any hunting gear for the foreseeable future. It's just friends helping friends-he'd do the same for any one of us, I'm sure.

If you have anything to donate, please PM me.

Thanks Guys!

Best Regards,

Gophergunner

Last edited by gophergunner; 12/13/13.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
CFT, Are you boots too tight? Too tight reduces the blood supply and you end up with cold feet.

What material are your socks? If you're wearing cotton, your going to end up with cold feet. You should be using a polypro liner and wool blend heavy boot socks.

Some years ago Sorel went to a thinner 9mm liner. The old liners were thicker, something like 3/8". What size do you wear? I might have a spare liner (Old style) in a size 10 you can have.

I currently have a pair of Muck Artic Pro's that say they're good to minus 30. Maybe if you're moving, but not sitting on a stand. My feet were getting cold after a couple of hours. I also have a pair of Thorogoods with 1000 grams of Thinsulite. They were a bit better than the Mucks.

Cabela's has a boot with 2000 grams of Thinsolite that should work.

Thermacell makes an electric foot warmer that apparently works, but costs $125 or more.

Last edited by Grizzly_Bill; 12/13/13.

S
SSB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
CFT,
I have a pair of boots from Cabelas that I sorta got by accident. My sister ordered the wrong ones as a Christmas gift. They are rated to -130. They have 1200 gr of thinsulate plus a felt pack that has inserts for warmers. I don't wear them alot but when it gets brutal I dig them out and my feet have never been cold in them. They are the only boot I can say that about and I've had many. Plus I have never put handwarmers in the liners. They are very light and easy to get on. Hope this helps...

Scott

We eat organic in our house, we just have to shoot and gut it first.....
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Sorry to hear about your friends loss Gopher. If I find anything that will help I'll let you know.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
CFT,

When I'm working I'm wearing Redwing Model 1412, inuslated (200gm) steel toe boots. I wear wool socks most everyday in the winter. At work my feet stay pretty warm as long as you're moving around. On Saturday AM when it was -15F I was frozen stiff and it didn't matter what the hell I had on my feet, in steel toe boots, it's friggin cold.

While hunting, I have a Lacrosse 800gm thinsulate goretex boots. They're about wore out though. They're probably 8 years old. On really cold stand hunting days, I wear Lacrosse, Ice Kings.

I'm actually thinking of getting a lighter weight pac style boot for deer hunting next year. The Ice Kings stink for any type of walking. Rocky makes a nice smaller pac type boot, though they're Chi-com and I like to try to keep that stuff Made in USA.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
GG,

You know what I have for you but we need to get together so you can take it. Do you think you could come up Sunday? I have a TON of spare stuff in addition to what you "need."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Grizzly_Bill
Sorry to hear about your friends loss Gopher. If I find anything that will help I'll let you know.
Thanks Bill. Any contributions would be greatly appreciated.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tom-Sunday will be doable. I was kind of holding out on the weather, thinking I might hunt, but I don't think I'll be going. When would be a good time for me to run up, and will Jack be there?

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Page 1,261 of 1,842 1 2 1259 1260 1261 1262 1263 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 163bc, 53 invisible), 2,250 guests, and 1,135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,606
Posts18,454,857
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.