-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
OP Offline
C
Went elk hunting last week, stepsons new Mossberg 4x4 with black skeleton stock literally fell apart! Was as if the cold was too much for that cheap plastic to hold up to - it just crumbled in our hands!

Mossberg wants $50 to REPLACE (rifle well under a year old, should be under warranty....or so I thought), and they will not even offer to SELL us a heavier duty laminate either... Pretty upset w/Mossberg customer service at the moment!

What other options might we have? Thanks for ANY help!!!

Last edited by COfishrmann; 11/17/09.
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I think its a howa action and their stock should fit it fine.

Whatever a 7x57 can do a 270 can do better.

True fair chase is you in the woods buttnaked with nothing but your finger nails and teeth.

If you'e fixin' to put a hole in something, make it a hole to remember.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Weatherby's are Howa actions. As for the Mossbergs, they are their own thing. Your stepson should use this as a relatively cheap life lesson.

That lesson?? Buying cheap doesn't always save you money!

For $50-$100 more than the cost of the Mossberg, he could have had a decent Marlin XL7, a Savage w/accutrigger, or a Remington SPS 700.

You can try Boyd's for an aftermarket stock. However, I don't know if they carry any for Mossbergs. Most folks aren't looking for $150 stocks to put on their $250 gun. You might also try Havlin Sales.

Please don't take this post as me trying to be offensive or a smart-a**. I'm just trying to be honest with you regarding the quality and reputation of the Mossberg bolt rifles (they DO make a darn reliable pump shotgun). You might be better off just spending $250-$300 for a Marlin or a Stevens 200 rather than spending $100-$200 to get a replacement stock for a lost cause (maybe buy the $50 replacement plastic stock for the Mossberg and sell it to get money for one of these other guns). Sorry...

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by RugerM77270
I think its a howa action and their stock should fit it fine.

You're thinking of the Moss. 1500.

C
OP Offline
C
fburgtex, couldn't agree more! Love my Mossy pumps, dissapointed in the two Mossy 4x4's we recently purchased, and now so frustrated with their customer service on this stock issue.... No more Mossy's in our future - may head your advice and sell BOTH the Mossberg bolts and just get rid of 'em, not worth the headaches dealing with a company that doesnt stand behind a rifle stock that is no more than 6-7 months old now and crumbles every time we pick it up!!!!

IC B2

C
C
Sorry to hear about your stock. Here are some stock mfg's:

http://www.ram-line.com/
http://www.hsprecision.com/new_sporter_stocks.htm
http://www.mcmfamily.com/mcmillan-stocks-ultralight.php
http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Axiom-UL-Rifle-Stock,220,1447.htm
http://www.brownprecision.com/
http://www.getgrip.com/main/overview/overview.html

Have any of you with the 4x4 found a base that fits. A buddy of mine bought the laminate "package" with scope and would like to change rings and bases, I haven't found any that fit proper. Phoned Leupold and they said they don't know of any that'd fit. I'm hoping some aftermarket company will pick-up the slack. Haven't been able to zero the current set-up. But to be fair we only tried 1 type of ammo.

Hope this helps, Tony

C
OP Offline
C
Thanks Tony. Try out the DedNutz scope mounts, they make a model that fits the 4X4. I recently put a set on new Tikka T3 in 7 Rem Mag and am very pleased.

Checked out the links you posted, didnt see anything specifically for the 4X4. Maybe I'll just have to shell out the $50 for "replacement" skeleton stock and either hope it's better or quickly sell that rig before it falls apart again. After that no more of my money going to Mossberg for anything.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
CO ... don't know how much the 4x4 has in common with their ATR series of rifles. If you do a search here @ 24HCF, it appears that they are not particularly safe firearms. Be happy only the stock fell apart on you.

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I used to have a gun like this one
raptor arms

when the mossberg ATR came out,I noticed it was the same as the raptor.I was thinking about getting a replacement stock from mossberg,as Im sure it would fit,but I sold it before I did.Mossberg had to of bought the Raptor arms co out when it went bankrupt,because its the same.Sometimes you will find a raptor arms stock on ebay.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQY/is_10_45/ai_55605819/?tag=content;col1

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=216327

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
B
B
Ok have to chime in here. I have a synthetic Marine cote 30-06. It is brutal to shoot. Not just to me (I'm a big guy) but others also. I wanted to put on a heavier laminated stock but no one seems to make one. Mossberg will not sell me one of the laminates that come on this rifle figure that out! They are a horrible company to deal with and shouldn't be around much longer. Mnay say the action is the same as the Howa 1500, if that is true a Howa 1500 aftermarket stock should work without too much cutting. Any thoughts? I have a Thompson Center TCR rifle in 30-06 and 300 win mag and it kicks much less than this one.

IC B3

B
B
Just a noted update. I emailed the VP of Mossberg sales and finally got someone there that gave a damn. They sold me a new laminated stock for the 4x4 30-06 marinecote rifle. Was about $150 and it seems to fit fine. Haven't shot it yet but it should help with the recoil. Bypass customer service and email a VP for results.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Best replacement "stock" is the one on a decent rifle.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by bluz
Just a noted update. I emailed the VP of Mossberg sales and finally got someone there that gave a damn. They sold me a new laminated stock for the 4x4 30-06 marinecote rifle. Was about $150 and it seems to fit fine. Haven't shot it yet but it should help with the recoil. Bypass customer service and email a VP for results.

So now your what...$350 into a mossberg rifle? That is a Savage, which I'd take 10 out of 10 over a mossberg. You $100 away from a good used M70 or M700.

Camp is where you make it.
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
$350 puts you within $100 for the NIB 700 ADL stainless rifles that Dick's had pre-Christmas.

I can't see running a Mossberg 4x4 if someone gave ME the $350, unless it was to off the turd and buy a decent, safe rifle with the cash.

C
C
I have a Mossberg 4X4 .270 that will put 3 shots in .44 inches, at 100 yards from sandbags with the factory synthetic stock. So I'm keeping mine. If the stock breaks, though, I can get another at Boyds for the 4X4. They do make them for the Mossberg 4X4. Just go to the Boyds site and type in the info. Actually for the money, I was more disappointed in the Remington SPS Varmint. Stock wasn't even free floated and the trigger stinks..

C
C
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by bluz

So now your what...$350 into a mossberg rifle? That is a Savage, which I'd take 10 out of 10 over a mossberg. You $100 away from a good used M70 or M700.

I have Savage, Remington 700 and Mossberg. So far the only one to out-shoot the Mossberg .270 4X4 is the Savage .243 with accutrigger. But to each his own.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
You do realize this post is 10 years old ?

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KentuckyMountainMan
You do realize this post is 10 years old ?

Yea....I don't think OP is looking for a stock any longer.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (10gaugemag, 444Matt, 44automag, 35sambar, 16 invisible), 2,225 guests, and 721 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,665
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.