-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I finally shot my Cooper Jackson Squirrel Rifle today! I have had it over a month and have not had a chance to shoot it till today. I mounted a Leupold Compact 3-9 on it.

To say it shot incredibly is an understatement! The trigger breaks like glass and I was getting ragged 1 hole groups at 50 yards.

My buddy is trying to convince me to put a Bushnell Elite 6500 4.5-30 on it.....and I think it is going to happen. I think I could get a REAL 1 hole, .22 caliber group with this rifle.

I know that it cost a lot, too much most likely but you only live once and I am going squirrel hunting this fall with the finest Squirrel rifle I have ever owned!

I can't wait!

NRA Life Member
Shoot Straight-Shoot Often (my thoughts on deer drives)
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
You have a fine .22 rifle. The Leupold 3x9 is actually a better choice of scope than the 4.5x30 for hunting purposes.

μολὼν λαβέ
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
If it were mine I'd stick with the Leupold. Nothing ruins the look of a fine rifle more than sticking a Hubble telescope on it.

WarDamnEagle
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by wareagle
If it were mine I'd stick with the Leupold. Nothing ruins the look of a fine rifle more than sticking a Hubble telescope on it.

+ 100

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
After thinking about it for a bit now I think you guys are right. The Leupold Compact is small, light and bright. I am able to easily keep all shots within 1/4 inch with it.....the only thing a bigger scope would do is let me shoot even smaller groups.

I actually did buy this to hunt squirrels with and the 3-9 should be great for this.

I have a CZ 452 Varmint with a 6-18 Nikon if I want to have a competition gun.....so I guess the Cooper will keep the Leupold.

Wareagle, I put the Burris I traded you for on a new Browning X bolt .300 WSM....nice scope but that gun sure does kick the crap out of me! Thanks again for the trade. Did you end up selling the kimber .22?

NRA Life Member
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Nomad2506
I am able to easily keep all shots within 1/4 inch with it.....the only thing a bigger scope would do is let me shoot even smaller groups.

Don't be too sure about that...

Unless your eyesight is poor-

If your aiming points are circles or squares with light colored center bulls, a 9x is fine as long as the target centers ar large enough to be easily quartered.

Plum center is plum center whether on 9x or 20x. At that point your rifle hold and follow through are more important than the magnification of your scope.

And for the size and field of few issues posed by larger scope, there really is no much of an upsideto high powered scopes on any all around .22 rifle.

Any decent 3-9 is plenty.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I think I am going to have to get contacts. I wear glasses a lot of the time but I have a hard time shooting a scope with glasses. I know what you mean about centering the cross hairs. The only problem I might have is this shooting fish game I do with my buddy's 11 year old. That boy is starting to wear me out!

He killed a monster 11 pointer this year and now he is trying to beat me with the .22's........the joys of youth!

NRA Life Member
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Nomad2506
I think I am going to have to get contacts. I wear glasses a lot of the time but I have a hard time shooting a scope with glasses. I know what you mean about centering the cross hairs. The only problem I might have is this shooting fish game I do with my buddy's 11 year old. That boy is starting to wear me out!

He killed a monster 11 pointer this year and now he is trying to beat me with the .22's........the joys of youth!

Well, don't loan that kid your CZ and get into any kind of shooting match.

They shoot well enough that paired with a young set of eyeballs, an older dude and his $1,600 Cooper might get whupped by his own rifle.... grin

To all gunmaker critics-
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
lol....he is the one that got me started on this kick for accurate .22's.

I bought a Ruger 77/22 and he kicked my butt with his CZ. So, I bought a new trigger for my Ruger and I tied him....so I bought a CZ 452 American Varmint. It had a horrible trigger. I bought a Timney for it and that has been a nightmare. I am sending the entire gun to Timney for them to get it right. So.....then I I was looking for a Kimber but I could not find one and due to my lack of patience I bought a beautiful Cooper that shoots like a $1,600 rifle better!

I am having so much fun shooting these .22's that I tried to trade for a Marlin Model 60 like I had when I was a kid to get my three nieces into shooting. I am going to keep my eyes open for a deal on one. They are 5, 11 and 12 and I think they will really enjoy this as much as I do!

NRA Life Member
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Fine rimfires are an addiction for sure. Though I don't have a Cooper yet. My favorite is an original Kimber 82 with a Leupold m8 6x compact AO.

WarDamnEagle
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Bigger ain't always better in the world of optical sights. 2.5X can do MOA at 100 yards easy enough and isn't all that clunky to tote around. Good gun, decent cartridge, but it's still a fairly short range rig. Simple and to the point is more practical...

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
On a rifle like the Jackson Squirrel Rifle,that Elite 6500 is going to look like the Hubble telescope.That scope is far too heavy and bulky for me to ever mount on any of my Cooper 57s.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I ended up sendind a Leupold 3.5-10x40 VX-3 back to have the parallex reset to 60yds. It is a great scope and looks very nice sitting on top of her.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I wish I could find a Kimber at a reasonable price. I have a Cooper and a couple of other nice .22's but I would really like a Kimber.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by BenelliHunter
I wish I could find a Kimber at a reasonable price. I have a Cooper and a couple of other nice .22's but I would really like a Kimber.

What's reasonable? I have a Kimber HS for sale........ PM me if your interested....

WarDamnEagle

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

621 members (10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 160user, 117LBS, 62 invisible), 2,529 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,164
Posts18,465,273
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.