Print Thread
Hop To
M
mod7rem Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I just bought a cz scout for plinking and small game. Which scope, simmons 4x32 22mag with rings or bushnell rimfire 4x32 with rings? I dont imagine there is much difference but opinions are always appreciated.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have the Simmons. Recently bought a Nikon 4x Prostaff rimfire. There is no comparison. I never warmed up to the Simmons: the reticle is too thick and it is not a clear scope. The Nikon, on the other hand, is remarkable. Save for a little longer.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by mod7rem
I just bought a cz scout for plinking and small game. Which scope, simmons 4x32 22mag with rings or bushnell rimfire 4x32 with rings? I dont imagine there is much difference but opinions are always appreciated.

Between those two scopes, any real perfomance difference is exactly zilch.

Bushnell and Simmons are owned by the sme company. While not the exact same scopes, they are serviced at the same place. Made in the same plant most likely.

About the only functional differnce is the Ocualr focus, te Buehsnll 4x has the old style Lock ring in front of the yepeice and the Simmons has the Euro style finger adjustable at the back.

The 1" .22 mag Simmons scopes have a good rep for being a decent scope for a rimfire.

Frankly, if you want a better scope than that save up $58 and get one of theses HAWKE 3-9 AO scopes.They are an English brand of scopes made in the same places the Bushnell and Simmons are- (China).

http://swfa.com/Hawke-3-9x40-Sport-HD-Riflescope-P41166.aspx

Excellent optics and very nicley made. They are rated for High powered spring airguns, which tear most regular scopes apart. They are very highly thought of in Europe and have a solid import office here in the US. They back their scopes better than Bushnell does their low end scopes IMHO.

Last edited by jim62; 09/17/10.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I thought Hawke's Airmax line is the one that will hold up to a spring air rifle. They run about double the cost of the one in your link.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Condition Yellow
I have the Simmons. Recently bought a Nikon 4x Prostaff rimfire. There is no comparison. I never warmed up to the Simmons: the reticle is too thick and it is not a clear scope. The Nikon, on the other hand, is remarkable. Save for a little longer.

+1

I just posted a range report for my 10-22 - and it has this scope - the Nikon Prostaff rimfire 4x. Very bright and clear optics for the price. Spend a little more and get quality.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by OSOK; 09/17/10.

NRA Endowment Life
NAHC Life
MOLON LABE!
OCS 120th MP BN MSSG
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by doubletap
I thought Hawke's Airmax line is the one that will hold up to a spring air rifle. They run about double the cost of the one in your link.

As far as I know everything Hawke sell is airgun rated. The whole "Airmax" designation has more to do with the M.A.P. airgun trajctory drop reticles Nick Jenkison designed for them than anything else.

Even if it is not Airgun rated , it is a MOOT point. The OP asked for a good rimfire scope and the Hawke HD 3-9 AO is equal to anything out there for rimfire use at it's price point.

They are excellent scopes.

Last edited by jim62; 09/17/10.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
G
G
I have several of the Simmons 22 mag scopes and for the money I think they're a pretty decent scope but if you buy one do yourself a favor toss the rings they supply with the scope in the trash and buy some decent ones.
I have mounted two of these scopes with the supplied rings and didn't have enough windage ajustment in the scope to even get close to zeroing them.Replaced the rings with good quality rings and problem solved.

M
mod7rem Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks guys, sounds like a little more money is in order and get the nikon. Which rings would you suggest for the cz scout?

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Lot's of good rifire rings.

A set of steel Burris deluxe rimfire rings in low height would work well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have used the Simmons 22 Mag 3 X 9 32mm AO on my Kimber 22 for 4 years and it has worked fine. Lets me make head shots on squirrels and rabbits at reasonable ranges.It certainly seems clear enough to me. IMO you can pay more but you certainly don't need to pay more for the uses of a 22.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Simmons seems to only make one grade of scopes regardless of price. Bushnell makes a wide range of scopes in both price and quality. Their top of the line models are as good as any but their lesser cost models are equal to Simmons and that's not a good thing!

That said, I bought a compact Chinese made Bushnell 2-7x32 .22 scope for my 10-22 some years ago and it's still doing quite well, for whatever that's worth.

M
mod7rem Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I wound up buying a leupold 4x28 with leupold rings. Its more than I was going to spend but the size of the scope fits the little scout perfectly. Thanks for all the input.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by mod7rem
I wound up buying a leupold 4x28 with leupold rings. Its more than I was going to spend but the size of the scope fits the little scout perfectly. Thanks for all the input.

You have chosen, wisely.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I have owned 4 Simmons 22mags. One fixed 4x, and two 3-9AO's. Each has been accurate and has held up. None is on an airgun or autoloader tho. For the money the Simmons is fine. For clarity it lacks more expensive stuff, but that stuff is more expensive for a reason. My son took a tumble, off our roof, while shooting a chicken thieving fox, with my Simmons on an H&R. It came out of it a little dinged, a little dented, and still working fine.

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I agree with Corelokt--Simmons is OK for the money. If you want to get a nice scope cheap, check eBay for an older Tasco made in Japan--prior to @ 2002 I think, if you can find one in good shape. Study, great clarity.

Too, I had an older Simmons and it was nice heavy aluminum with great blue. Then a newer Pro Hunter--It was much lighter, but OK for optics. I do like the quick adjust focus on the Simmons for sure.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Corelokt - "Older, Slower, not much wiser. All the downside of youth and none of the pluses.". Don't sell yourself short here.
Your wisdom has come to the fore as you recognize being older and slower comes with age. Remember the yarn about the old bull and the young bull? Curious about the comment on the "downside of youth" however - you miss pimples and not having money? Regards, Homesteader.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (1973cb450, 808outdoors, ATC, Bclark, 10gaugemag, 8 invisible), 1,389 guests, and 744 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,674
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.