24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I've got a leak in a propane post that I've repaired and was just wondering how much pressure there is in a 20 lb propane tank.

One of the threaded fittings was leaking and it was originally put together with epoxy on the threads. I removed all the existing epoxy, scuffed it up with 100 grit sanpaper, mixed up some 2 ton epoxy, heated it to try and get it to suck in the fitting and I'm letting dry as I type. I repaired it in the only way possible and I guess the ultimate test is whether it leaks or not. I'll find out tomorrow.

Last edited by fish head; 09/25/10. Reason: changed thread title
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Anyone who uses Epoxy as a thread sealant on any pressurized gas tank could have a large surprise.

The right way is:

Wrap Teflon tape around the threads of the compression fitting.
Insert the connection at the end of the hose onto the compression fitting and twist until it is hand tight. Continue twisting the hose end with a wrench until it is tight.
Test the connection for leaks by splashing a small amount of soapy water onto it. After several minutes, bubbles will begin to appear if there is a gas leak. Tighten the connection, and then repeat the test. If bubbles appear a second time simply replace the compression fitting and hose. Repeat the test on your new fitting and hose.

As for pressure: Tank Pressure Unregulated vapor pressure in any size propane tank can range from about 60 to 120 psi on average. This pressure is not consistent and fluctuates constantly based on the temperature of the propane and the draw of vapor from the upper vapor space.

A'int Google wonderful ?

Fish scales flying all over Kaloradio ........

Last edited by BossLady; 09/25/10. Reason: more FACTS

Newt-Condi 2012
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I replaced the propane regulator on my travel trailer and they told me to be sure to not use white teflon tape. I guess there is yellow tape made for gas connections, but they said they didn't use it either. They use the yellow (for gas connections) stuff in a squeeze tube, because they have seen tape pieces from connections break off and clog the orfices in gas appliances on RVs.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Bulletbutt
I replaced the propane regulator on my travel trailer and they told me to be sure to not use white teflon tape. I guess there is yellow tape made for gas connections, but they said they didn't use it either. They use the yellow (for gas connections) stuff in a squeeze tube, because they have seen tape pieces from connections break off and clog the orfices in gas appliances on RVs.

And they are correct. If you arn't careful when you apply the teflon tape, you will cause pieces to plug up anything downstream. But it is easy to do it correctly.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
HEY STUPID,

Did you read the part about it originally being put together with epoxy?

I didn't make it or put it to together that way.

Ever tried unscrewing a threaded fitting that's been epoxied?

It's not a compression fitting dumbazz, it's a threaded pipe connection.

Typical dumbazz "woman" butting in on a subject you know nothing about. Go back to [bleep] Florida or New fuggin' York you wannabe tranvestite sick old douche bag. How about coming down to the Front Range so we can have a little azz kickin' contest. Don't worry about the "Castle Laws", we'll just settle it the old fashioned way.

And in your own words; "Thread pirates are like boils, they must be lanced right away."

Goggle this - [bleep] OFF.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
my, my mommy will have to wash baby boy's mouth with soap.

any one with a lick of sense would buy a new tank ..... probably welds up automobile gas tanks too!

Newt-Condi 2012
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by fish head
HEY STUPID,

Did you read the part about it originally being put together with epoxy?

I didn't make it or put it to together that way.

Ever tried unscrewing a threaded fitting that's been epoxied?

It's not a compression fitting dumbazz, it's a threaded pipe connection.

Typical dumbazz "woman" butting in on a subject you know nothing about. Go back to [bleep] Florida or New fuggin' York you wannabe tranvestite sick old douche bag. How about coming down to the Front Range so we can have a little azz kickin' contest. Don't worry about the "Castle Laws", we'll just settle it the old fashioned way.

And in your own words; "Thread pirates are like boils, they must be lanced right away."

Goggle this - [bleep] OFF.

relax,...calm down

The Damn thing is gonna be fine, and leak free.

Douchelady got Bag repair mixed up with Gas repair is all.

That teflon tape chit is GREAT for fixing D-bags.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You wouldn't make a pimple on a field repairman's azz, you fuggin' sick troll.

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

oooops, sorry old'm.

Kent

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Rollin' here,....TFF !

GTC

IC B3

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Hadn't really thought about it... hmmmm, maybe Boss Boobies likes 'gropers'... bet he does...

Kent

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's gonna take a LOT of douches to wash his sins away,....

GTC

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Tell us what you mean Fish....

LMAO here. laugh

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'm not really mad. Oldman's new persona cracks me up.

Just haven't had a good excuse to throw some jabs at oldman lately.

FIW, the repair worked fine. I just leak tested it and no problems. Heating the threaded fittings allowed the epoxy to flow into the joint through capillary action. That's the technical explanation.

==========================

OLDMAN,

You need to get somebody to weld your pie hole orifice shut. Try some superglue. It oughta work good on your rectal orifice too. It'd be kinda like a chastity belt for an oldman with deviant perversions.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
The epoxy will be fine and do not use teflon tape on compression fittings.

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
fishead..I don't know doodly about anything mechanical, so all this talk of repairing things leaves me in the dust. But I have to agree wholeheartedly on the second, edited, part of your thread title....Old Douche is an idiot... grin

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
careful...he'll sic the secret douche gestapo on ya! laugh what a pitiful person it must be

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I thought I'd at least get a PM out of all this. laugh

Nothing so far. frown

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
107 members (160user, 35, 6mmbrfan, 10Glocks, 308ld, 338reddog, 15 invisible), 1,723 guests, and 767 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,776
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.