Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Here are 2 of the hefty 50's in action...lookout rabbits.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Right On!

"Doing right isn't always easy but it is always right."
GB1

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Luv that BAR shrapnel! I cooked a young cottontail in the crock pot yesterday with a can of cream of celery soup and it didn't last long,lol. We're still alive.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
If you harvest a rabbit in the summertime where I live, they are usually covered with flea's and have some bot fly larvae living inside of them.

Once the first frost hits them, the bot flies larva either dies or goes away because the lumps disappear.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tularemia is the biggest concern. It is more of a problem in warmer states than colder ones. When I was in school taking epidemiology many years ago, Arkansas was the tularemia hotspot of the US. I think there are far fewer cases now as fewer people subsist off the woods.

I used to not worry about catching anything until I got into healthcare and actually started seeing people with diseases from wild animals. I still trap and hunt as much as I used to, but now use gloves when skinning fur bearing animals and small game. I don't worry about deer.

I also try to limit when I contact these small, furry animals to winter time. Hopefully they have less fleas and ticks on them at that time, thereby decreasing the chances of getting something. Chances are pretty low, by the way.

So in answer to your question, yes, rabbits are safe to eat. Take some small precaution when handling them and you will be fine.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
Tularemia is the biggest concern. It is more of a problem in warmer states than colder ones. When I was in school taking epidemiology many years ago, Arkansas was the tularemia hotspot of the US. I think there are far fewer cases now as fewer people subsist off the woods.

Funny, that's where I was when I got it. Doctors originally diagnosed it as childhood leukemia. I thought that was cool, as my father had cancer and we could go to treatments together. confused

Never stopped me from eating rabbits later in life. In fact, I'd love to eat one right now. laugh laugh

Last edited by GrizzlyBear; 10/24/10.
IC B2

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
They always say after the first frost, I always wait until after the first snow, seems to work.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Man how soft America has become! Never thought I'd see hunting/shooting people afraid of eating rabbits.
There's ALWAYS stuiff you can catch from animals.
I remember back in nursing school that there are approx 50 diseses/parasites that you can catch from dogs and 52 that you can catch from cats. How many of you have a dog or cat? How many have a dog or cat living inside with your family? How many let them lick them in the face? Your kids face?
It's a wonder there is anyone left alive.........Laffin.

B.C. don't matter.............Laffin!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Maybe you just let the dog in with months that have a R in it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
BTW,
The month with the "R" in it thing comes from the days of no way to keep meat cold. As in they had no fridge and months without a "R" are the hottest.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's the months oysters are good though not the best at either end.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

140 members (007FJ, 257 mag, 44mc, 6mmCreedmoor, 10Glocks, 14 invisible), 1,670 guests, and 879 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,236
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.