-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
F
OP Offline
F
I've had a Ruger 77/22, good shooter, no problems, got stupid and sold it. Was going to order new one but gun shop manager told me about CZ Firearms and I might take a look at their rifles. I'm going to use it for Bench Rest shooting. They have a bolt action,heavy barrel CZ 452 Varmit. Have never had one - never heard of one - lower cost then Ruger. Would like to hear from someone who has had good or bad shooting with CZ's. Cost is not a major factor, but buying STUFF for it is, didn't see many things as far a STUFF goes in any of the Mags.Ruger has STUFF everywhere, and lots of it! Maybe not looking the places I need to, info on STUFF for CZ's would be welcome also! I'm not sold any brand, I just want a good shooter for Bench Rest Competition! Freetimer

Living and Loving My Jesus! Freetimer
GB1

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
All I have is a CZ 453 American. It has the single set trigger, but I haven't used it yet since the unset one works so nicely. When I was in the market, I talked to a dealer that had both the Ruger and the CZ's on the shelf, and his comment to me was this -- the 9 out of 10 CZ's that will shoot good out of the box will outshoot the 1 out 10 Rugers that will shoot out of the box. And ya save about 200 bucks.

As far as "stuff" goes, I haven't bought anything for mine other than a scope and ammunition, O and the kids and my wife bought me a bipod for my birthday.

Mine shoots. First 5 shot group at 20 metres off a makeshift rest went into one tiny hole that was 46 thousandths centre to centre. Went back to 50 metres, and it opened up to about 0.270" for 5 shots -- with Federal Bulk ammo, or Winchester Dynapoints. The only 100 metre group I have shot was on a windy day, and it was just over an inch -- inch and a sixteenth, IIRC. Never touched the trigger, cleaned it, mounted the scope and shot it. Scope is a $200 Bushnell.

I've never owned a Ruger 77/22, but I have a box stock 10/22 that has a $40 Bushnell 4X on it, and it shoots bug holes too. Maybe I'm just real lucky when it comes to buying firearms -- most of my stock stuff shoots nicely.

Hope you enjoy whatever you buy, but I sure wouldn't hesitate on the CZ. Hear tell from the boys on Rimfire Central that a Brooks trigger of a Yo-dave trigger kit is about all ya need on a 452 -- my 453 didn't even need that!

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have both, and I'd choose CZ over Ruger every time, especially at equal or better price. You could get the CZ453 with an adjustable trigger, and probably still be less than the Ruger. I always check to see which is selling more used (...people tend to get rid of so-so guns), lots more used 77/22's than CZ452/3's for sale. Critical change in both as new production comes for sale; CZ had threaded barrels up until last year, now they're pinned tenons. Ruger's barrels were clamped tenon until last year, now they're threaded. Not too many of either lining up at benchrest comps though, Anschutz, Remington 40x, Winchester 52, and lotsa custom builds. The wallet rules at benchrest

Czech out RimfireCentral for in-depth .22 discussions

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I own and shoot both. I also replaced the triggers in both as they are both unacceptable from the factory.

I put a Rifle Basix in my Ruger and a Timney in my CZ. The Rifle Basix is awesome in the Ruger and the Timney is a nightmare that is getting ready to go back to Timney so they can try to get it right.

All of that aside, the Ruger has a 2-7 Nikon Prostaff and it shoots ragged holes at 50 yards. The CZ has a 6-18 Nikon on it and it shoots ragged holes also. The accuracy difference in the two is pretty negligible. I would imagine that if I swapped scopes the groups would swap. I am shooting target ammo in both to get the great groups.

Off the bench they are totally different rifles though. The Ruger holds more, carry's better in the woods for hunting and has a safety that swings, "the right way". The CZ has a backwards @$$ safety and is heavy, but the thumb hole stock is very comfortable when shooting.

I personally don't mind the weight of the CZ but I am a big boy and I typically deer hunt with a Sendero.

I would advise you to look at both, handle both and see which one you want to carry, hunt and shoot most....or do what I did and buy them both! They are a ton of fun!

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I would have to vote for CZ...I have three, 453 Varmint, 452 American with the 17" threaded barrel and a 452 Scout.

Really love the Ruger 77/22s but have not shot one yet that will outshoot these guns. The big problem I've found with the Rugers is shifting zero from one shooting session to the next. Never have had that problem with the CZs... I think that the screwed in barrel of the CZ vs. the clamped in barrel of the 77/22s makes a big difference. That being said the new CZs are coming with a set-screw quick change barrel system...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
IC B2

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by RJM
That being said the new CZs are coming with a set-screw quick change barrel system...

Please take note freetimer that this would be true of the new 455 models. The only CZ rimfires up to the intro of the 455 model that had a press fit barrel were a few of the 452s chambered for the .17 Mach II round.

Last edited by sheffieldshooter; 09/27/10.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by freetimer
I'm not sold any brand, I just want a good shooter for Bench Rest Competition! Freetimer

What kind of Bench Rest Competition? If you are talking about shooting against custom or unlimited class rifles, neither the CZ or Ruger can run with them. If money is of no object, you should consider putting together a custom bench rifle. Do some reading over in the rimfire forum at Benchrest Central.

But don't get me wrong. I am a big CZ fan. I have six 452s and one 513 Basic. The USBR has a factory sporter class (limited mods allowed). Look how well the CZ Americans did in the recent USBR Alabama State Championship at my local club in Sheffield, Alabama:

2010 ALABAMA USBR STATE RIMFIRE MATCHES

Sporter Class
235-6X, Barry Holmes CZ American, Weaver GS 6-20X, Lapua Master M
222-5X, Dave Hollimon, CZ American, Tasco W/C 24X, Federal 510
222-1X, Willie Rhodes, CZ American, Weaver 20X, Lapua Center X
219-2X, Reed Gamble, CZ American, Sightron II, SK Std+
206-1X, Ulus Farris, CZ American, Barska 32X, Federal 714
201-0X, Bart Harkins, CZ American, Leupold VX2 18X, Lapua Center X
195-1X, Tony Gilmore, Savage BV, Tasco W/C 24X, Lapua Center X
195-1X, Peary Willard, CZ Lux, BSA 36X, Aguila SE
164-0X, Anedra Gilmore, Savage MK II BV, Tasco W/C 24X, Lapua Center X

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I have had both--sold the Ruger. It was ammo-specific, would only shoot Federal 711b worth a darn. Had the trigger rew0rked down to 2.5 lbs and it was a good squirrel gun. But my 452 Varmint model is a better bench gun due to better stock design. It shoots better than the Ruger did, but is ammo-specific too--only likes Remington SubSonics. Trigger has been modified with a "Brooks Kit" (Yo Dave makes the same thing now that Brooks is apparently out of the picture) and it is a crisp 12 oz. So far as stuff being available on the after market-well, I don't buy 'em to decorate, I buy 'em to shoot. As someone said, scope and rings are all I need.

An Old Pilot, but Not A Bold Pilot
"Pig-murderin' Fool"
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have a ruger 77/22 and 2 CZ 452's. I get slightly better accuracy with the CZ 452 22. If it weren't for the reversed saftey and the cheap bottom metal, these would be perfect.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am very happy with the 2 CZs I have. One is a lightweight 527 American in .223 that shoots 1/4-inch groups at 100 yards very often. The other is a 452 Varmint in .17 HMR. I also put a Brooks kit (don't EVER buy anything from that jerk!) that is identical to the Yo-Dave kit on ebay or Rimfire Central. It is now very crisp and just right for ahunting rifle. I don't think I need to buy any more stuff for it - it works great as-is.

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell
IC B3

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
My CZ 452 with TC1's milled bottom metal, and a trigger fix by me, puts Ruger in a distant second place as far as being a beautiful, well designed and fabricated rifle goes.
No comparison on accuracy either. The 452 blew the Ruger out of the water in the accuracy department.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by sheffieldshooter
Originally Posted by RJM
That being said the new CZs are coming with a set-screw quick change barrel system...

Please take note freetimer that this would be true of the new 455 models. The only CZ rimfires up to the intro of the 455 model that had a press fit barrel were a few of the 452s chambered for the .17 Mach II round.

I just recieved my 455 with swap barrel in 22 LR and 17 HMR. What a great gun!

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Should have said that I picked up my 453 used for about $250 less than an albeit new Ruger 77/22. With Scope and rings still about the same price as a bare naked Ruger. And she SHOOTS!

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 1lesfox, 1Longbow, 11point, 49 invisible), 2,576 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,361
Posts18,468,985
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.