Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 20 21
S
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
S
Bob, thanks for sharing your project with us. I have never tried the Mashburn, but I had one of the first 7MM-3000WM in my neck of the woods-1975 or there about. I still use a 7RM some. However, recoil has begun to bother me some and I don't like muzzle brakes or heavy rifles. So my solution to the ideal elk, deer round is the .280AI. I can push the 160gr Nosler Partition at 2950fps without torturing my rifle or cases and recoil is not bad at all. The rifle is on a pre-64 Mod.70 with a #2 Krieger, it's stock is a well finished piece of English walnut with good color contrast and well done checkering. I'm going elk hunting in a couple of weeks so I did a final zero check yesterday and got a slightly less than 4" five shot group at 300yds.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That is one fine rig. Cool factor is off the charts. Since no one has claimed it, I will. DIBS. grin

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Bob that is sweet with the cool meter pegged!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very nice rifle Bob. Interesting fix for the stock resonance.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Bob, that is a beautiful rifle! Very, very well executed as only a Simillion, Echols, Penrod can do.

Congratulation!

Mind posting a pic of the cartridge?

IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Nice rifle.

Does anybody have a few pics of the cartridge case itself, especially in comparison to a 7mag, etc.

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by hillbillybear
Just a random thought here. Wonder how a 7mm Remington case with a 40 degree Ackley shoulder and long throated for the 160-175 bullet would compare to the Mashburn ballistically?

Such a setup would make for easier case forming.

That would sound a lot like a 7mm Sharpe & Hart; performance is good, but a tad below the Mashburn, IIRC.

MM

Hillbilly: I have not formed an Ackley shoulder,but have "long throated" a few 7RM's and generally they work a lot better than a standard Rem 700-type factory throat.There is not a huge velocity gain,but I found the cartridge a lot more tractible as you got to max than with some shorter factory throats;I think barrels and throats are behind a lot of the difficulties a lot of guys see with the 7RM;why many will hit a wall and the velocities are not quite up to what one "expects" of the cartridge.

Of course if you throat for the 160-175, you compromise bullet/land relationship with 140 gr bullets,because thet have to jump to the lands.Sometimes this works OK and sometimes not.

It is really as much the longer neck,longer bullet seating,and a skosh more capacity that makes it easier to hit these velocities in the Mashburn,as opposed to the Remington...the Mashburn just lets you get there easier near as I can see so far.There is not a real universe of difference;but if you have struggled with the 7RM to get the vels you see from some sources,the Mashburn will be appreciated.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Bob, that Echols stock is a thing of beauty. Makes me want to throw away the edge I just got for my M70

oldelk: That Echols stock is about as nice as I have seen,especially for a magnum chambering;the stock could be one of the reasons it does not seem to kick so much...... wink

Gene tells me D'Arcy did the paint job on it,which is a two-tone black/brown.

Last edited by BobinNH; 10/01/10.

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
SuperT:Sounds like you are GTG;I suspect that load will put an elk hoofs up in short order! wink And as you note,with less recoil as a bonus.

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
DD/Huntr; I will try to get a few pics of the cartridge through the forming process this weekend.

There is more than one way to skin the cat and I have had a couple of conversations with Bill Steigers at BBC;he is instructing me on how to fully form the Mashburn case with tumbling media(corn husks),large pistol primers,and Bullseye pistol powder.

That means I can form cases from new brass by firing out the back door at the house...the neighbors will love it,but hey this is NH...there are always guns going off here! grin

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by hillbillybear
Just a random thought here. Wonder how a 7mm Remington case with a 40 degree Ackley shoulder and long throated for the 160-175 bullet would compare to the Mashburn ballistically?

Such a setup would make for easier case forming.

That would sound a lot like a 7mm Sharpe & Hart; performance is good, but a tad below the Mashburn, IIRC.

MM

Hillbilly: I have not formed an Ackley shoulder,but have "long throated" a few 7RM's and generally they work a lot better than a standard Rem 700-type factory throat.There is not a huge velocity gain,but I found the cartridge a lot more tractible as you got to max than with some shorter factory throats;I think barrels and throats are behind a lot of the difficulties a lot of guys see with the 7RM;why many will hit a wall and the velocities are not quite up to what one "expects" of the cartridge.

Of course if you throat for the 160-175, you compromise bullet/land relationship with 140 gr bullets,because thet have to jump to the lands.Sometimes this works OK and sometimes not.

It is really as much the longer neck,longer bullet seating,and a skosh more capacity that makes it easier to hit these velocities in the Mashburn,as opposed to the Remington...the Mashburn just lets you get there easier near as I can see so far.There is not a real universe of difference;but if you have struggled with the 7RM to get the vels you see from some sources,the Mashburn will be appreciated.

Thanks for the information. I have never chronographed any 7MM Remington factory ammo that was even close to the factory listed velocity and only one 7mm I have worked with came near the loading manual listed velocities before hitting pressure issues.

This 7MM Mashburn of yours has set me to thinking. That usually winds up costing me money smile

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh, how is the cost of the Echols stock versus a "standard" McMillan?

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Azshooter
Very nice rifle Bob. Interesting fix for the stock resonance.

AZ: Th double groups had me puzzled;something changed when I went from the bags to a "softer" medium, like my hands.I repeated the test a few times to make sure it was not me.It wasn't.

Thinking on it I felt the barrel didn't need "up pressure" so much as it needed something to "dampen" vibration,since it had shot well with the lighter bullets.So I thought about the pipe insulation. That cured it.

I have noticed with these precisely tuned sporters with light barrels, that they really shoot well,but equally true that if you feed them something they do not like,they will let you know right away...a guy has to figure out what is wrong.

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
hillbilly: They are available through D'Arcy at pretty much the same prices for the stock as for the mcMillans IIRC. A friend bought three,and sent them to CAS for paint and bedding.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobinNH
hillbilly: They are available through D'Arcy at pretty much the same prices for the stock as for the mcMillans IIRC. A friend bought three,and sent them to CAS for paint and bedding.

Thanks. I didn't know if they were more expensive than the standard ones.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hmm.....never heard about the round could someone tell me a bit about it.. wink

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Hmm.....never heard about the round could someone tell me a bit about it.. wink

Dober

The nut-job appears (grin)...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Good looking rig Bob, well cept for the Model 70 part.......grin

Anyone got a pic of said cartridge next to say a Remington version?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nut job, panache, style.....same o same o... grin

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bob-the 160 Sierra HPBT is one heck of an accurate and game killing son of a gun! Add 7828 of course..grin

Dober

Page 3 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 20 21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

687 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1234, 65 invisible), 2,899 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,486
Posts18,451,994
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.