Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 20 21
B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
No, not a misprint.... smile

2001 or thereabouts brought us the 7mm Whizzum, aka 7mm Winchester Short Magnum(WSM)....a sorta stout,vertically challenged affair and really a copy of a design that originated back in the 50's in the Gradle Express line

But also back around the 1950's a guy from Oklahoma named Art Mashburn(actually known by OU76 who posts on here)gave us,after much experimenting,the cartridge known as the 7mm Mashburn Super Magnum,aka 7mm MSM.The Gradle Express series went nowhere at the time, but the Mashburn was popularized by such notables as Bob Hagel and Warren Page back in the 50's and 60's;and by our own Mark Dobrenski today. grin

(Worth noting here the 7mm Weatherby was around in proprietary form, but Roy gave his barrels a 12 twist which did not stabilize the 160 gr bullets that LR elk hunters wanted to use.)

Unlike the WSM, the MSM is a long, leggy affair that can fit handily into a 30/06 length action,but adapts nicely to a H&H-length action as well, which means any run of the mill Remington 700 or Winchester M70 can be adapted to it.

After fully half a lifetime (30 years) of using the 7RM, I wanted something a little different in the way of a portable,relatively lightweight all-round BG rifle,with the ability to "easily"(a key component)push a 175 gr 7mm bullet in excess of 3000 fps,a 160 gr from 3150-3200 fps, from a 24" barrel,with moderate powder charges,and would not kick me into next week.Something "optimum" but not too much,as with the 7STW and the Ultra Mag,both of which seem more at home with thick, heavy 26" tubes and/or gobs of powder.The 7 RM with various throatings came close in a 24" barrel but I sometimes thought I was pushing the envelope;I always thought the 7RM could use more capacity and a longer neck.

After watching Dober's results on here with the Mashburn,and talking to him a good bit,I sent a #2 9 twist Krieger to Gene Simillion,along with a M70 Classic action from a 270.A friend from back here did the same thing.Dober was kind enough to lend us his reamer and I am still using Dobers dies until mine show up from RCBS(we had an ordering snafu with another die maker which delayed having dies delivered on time)....

I told Gene I wanted a 375H&H-length box,and he got me an Echols box which easily swallows cartridges loaded to about 3.575 OAL,with room to spare;throating was set up for a 160 Partition with base of bullet even with base of neck;the 175 seats a bit deeper into the case.

The stock is an Echols Legend Edge;very nice!

So what did I end up with here? Well, as Gene said the cartridge is not about ultimate speed;it's about building a portable package for mountain and open country hunting with an optimum velocity level, with long 7mm heavyweights, reasonable powder consumption,and flat trajectory,and without the weight and recoil of a 300 magnum.Near as I can tell, he described it spot-on....

Load development is still in progress but what I am seeing so far is:

Dobers fireform load of 65 IMR 4350 139 Hornady at 3160 to 3190,(which to me is a 280AI in a similarly configured rifle. The Mashburn will of course push a 139-140 gr bullet much faster with full loads).

After fireforming, you have the blown out Mashburn.And 72.5-73 gr H1000 gives the 175 Nosler Partition 3040 to 3075.This bullet has an SD of .310 and a BC of .519.According to the Nosler tables, when started at these velocities,it has about the same trajectory as a 180 gr 30 caliber Partition started at 3200 fps...(the 30 caliber taking a bunch more powder and recoil to get there). My shooting so far is showing this to be true.

Or if you like plastic tips, this cartridge easily starts a 160 AB at 3150-3175 with about 75 gr H1000.I see no logical reason to go with any bullet weighing less from this case,although you can certainly do it.

As to recoil? I have sat behind a bunch of blown out 300's over the years.In comparison, with its' heaviest loads, this rifle is a cakewalk.

Pretty hard to justify the wildcat in light of all the other 7mm's that provide similar performance;but this one "gets there" in an efficient fashion,being just enough without being too much, yet not lacking the capacity, so that one does not have to stand on it to get the desired velocities,as with smaller 7 mags.And the MSM does this in a 24" barrel to boot.

I have had a 7mm Dakota, which is similar,but did not like being tied to one source of brass, and a case not easily formed from anything else.The MSM can be easily formed from 300 Win Mag cases,available anywhere.And if I get tired of the wildcat,a 7 RM is only a rebarrel job away.

Looks to me like Mashburn,Page,Hagel,and Dober knew (know)what they were talking about,even back 60 years ago!A very cool cartridge! smile

Wish I had built one sooner! wink

Last edited by BobinNH; 09/30/10.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Because people are going to ask.................
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This makes the "ugly stocked" M70 in 7mm Mag that you have redundant. Send it over Robert. laugh

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Scott, TFF! Laffin here!

Thanks for that!I know how they wail to the high heavens on here with no pics. grin

To me, it makes lots of things redundant..... wink

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Thanks for sharing your project, ole Dober knows the Mashburn all too well. And you'll be giving the critters the Mashburn dirt nap soon too!

MtnHtr

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
always thought the Mashburn would be the best 7 mag in creation , but it seems to me that if pushing 175s over 3000 and 160s to 3200 . then recoil has to be alot like a 300Winny ?

IC B2

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
SD: It really isn't...it is just "lighter" somehow..hard for me to explain,and don't get me wrong, it recoils.... but I notice a level of muscle tension needed with the big 30's,and a level of fatigue that sets in with the 300's, not present with this and the 7RM.

Might be nitpicking I know(much of this project is grin,

....but even Gene said it was a pleasure to shoot compared to the 300's.So at least I know it ain't just me smile

At 60, I am a lOT more recoil sensitive than I used to be frown

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Bob, do you see any advantage over the weatherby chambering? (one I've thought about) I always "felt" the remington mag was "not quite there", but close!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Bob,

Good luck with the rifle. Sounds very well thought out and just what you are looking for. I understand the recoil issue but at those velocities, there must be some kick, how is it in comparison to the 7 STW's you have shot?

Don't feel bad, at 41 my recoil tolerences are not what they used to be frown

By the way, I love the name, Mizzum

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
pat I have never worked with a 7 Weatherby,and know the manuals show it similar to the Mashburn;but i also know it has about the same capcity as the Remington case,so I really can't explain how the weatherby gets where it does,except due to the freebore,a 26" tube,and Weatherby-type pressures.

I have had a few "long throat" 7 RM's and they nudge right into 7 Weatherby load data territory.But again, I always felt I was leaning a bit hard.The thing that struck me about the Mashburn was how "easily" it reached these velocities.And velocitiy variations are very low,maybe 10 fps in a 5 shot string,at least with H1000.I think Art Mashburn did his homework.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Bob,

I like my long throated custom 7mm Weatherby,but find the 7mm STW to be a lttle much recoil wise.

Likewise.I can do the 300 win mag,but the 300 Weatherby is uncomfortable.

All of this had me thinking about a 7mm/300 Win.

My gunsmith has dies and reamers for this one.

What's the difference between the Mashburn and the 7mm/300 win?

Is it just a 7mm/300 win Improved?

IC B3

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Chip; Thanks!The STW's I have fired were the M70 Classics,longer, heavier rifles,so it is hard to compare;this stock design of D'Arcy's is very good at mitigating rcoil in a magnum chambering.i fired the rifle off hand yesterday and it is very pleasant,not inclined to jump back hard or climb during recoil.It is more manageable than the 300's, to me anyway.

BTW I gotta give credit where it's due....my buddy Matt took the other Krieger #2 and built the same rifle,metal by Gene,and stock work by Charlie;veddy nice also and Charlie did a great job on the stock.

Yesterday at the range Matt said...."I'm gonna shoot the "Mizzum"........I said "The what?"...he said. "You know,the Mashburn Super Magnum, the MSM!" I laughed! grin

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Britt; It is a necked down 300 WM case;first pass with the form die forms the new shoulder and longer neck;second pass with the trim die brings the neck down to 7mm(no trimming required,then through the FL die to tighten up the neck.(Dober had to walk me through all this).

FFing the case blows it out to a straighter contour;the 300 Win Mag has more taper and a shorter neck.

The longer neck is part of the beauty of the Mashburn design, plus the straighter case,which gives a skosh more capacity. The longer neck helps if you build with a longer throat,as I did, because I can seat even 140 gr bullets close to the lands.No bullet I have used is seated into the case,except the 175, and that very little.

The 160 AB is seated to about 3.575 OAL;and the 175 Partition to about 3.515,due to the ogive mostly.

At the end of the day, I doubt there would be much practical difference between the Mashburn and the 300 WM necked down.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I have had a 7mm Dakota, which is similar,but did not like being tied to one source of brass, and a case not easily formed from anything else.

Do you not have one anymore?

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Interesting build; thanks for sharing.

I went to a Mashburn's gun store in OKC as a kid. I wonder if it was the same guy.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds like a good round Bob.Wanna race for pink slips?grin

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Britt; It is a necked down 300 WM case;first pass with the form die forms the new shoulder and longer neck;second pass with the trim die brings the neck down to 7mm(no trimming required,then through the FL die to tighten up the neck.(Dober had to walk me through all this).

FFing the case blows it out to a straighter contour;the 300 Win Mag has more taper and a shorter neck.

The longer neck is part of the beauty of the Mashburn design, plus the straighter case,which gives a skosh more capacity. The longer neck helps if you build with a longer throat,as I did, because I can seat even 140 gr bullets close to the lands.No bullet I have used is seated into the case,except the 175, and that very little.

The 160 AB is seated to about 3.575 OAL;and the 175 Partition to about 3.515,due to the ogive mostly.

At the end of the day, I doubt there would be much practical difference between the Mashburn and the 300 WM necked down.

Sounds suspiciously like a .284 Jarret designed by the greatest gunmaker in the whole wide world smirk

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gene S. ?
M70?
Echols?
Mashburn?
Dober?

WTH were you thinking? Sounds like a, er, well, ah, hmmm, you know, ah, well, eerrr, a pretty sweet rig. cry

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No doubt.

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Mike: I won't bet....you might win grin

Karnis: I did the best I could..... frown smile

oldelkhunter:Seems Jarrett is about 50 years late...gotta admire his taste though...... grin

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
MtnHntr:There is no doubt Dober knows the Mashburn....he helped make this a pretty easy deal,and was spot on in loads vels, etc.he and Gene got me started really well...been an easy wildcat to deal with.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very nice rig. cool

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Bob, will this new wonder rig be heading west soon? I sure like the looks/stats of what you put together! A well thought out project for sure.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Good job Bob!

About time we saw this rifle IN pictures!

Are 175's going to be thee bullet?

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Hillbilly; Thanks I think it turned out pretty good....easy cartridge to work with....no BS...just gives the promised velocities easily.

Randy, yes I will take it to Wyoming smile
Zeroed for the 175 to hit POA at 300 yards, it prints the FF load to the same elevation at 300 yards;but slightly left.

The 160 AB and Partition go to the same POI at 300 yards but about 2" higher than the 175. I would have to rezero for that load....no biggie....

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
SU: Thanks! Hell all I did was pay for it grin....this was a collaborative effort with Dober and Gene providing all the guidance and building.I told Gene what I wanted, specified throat,mag box, etc.He is a dream to work with;a real rifle guy who "gets it" when you mention something....immediately.

Dober was a huge help,advising on the cartridge loads, providing reamer to Gene and dies to me to get mestarted ay great inconvenience. he knows his way around the cartridge and between he and Gene, load work was easy.

Also JWP gave me some good advise on powders as well....I had a LOT of help. grin

Tell ya what....now I understand what Page was saying about that 175; and he had the old semi-spitzer, not the newer one with that 519 BC,which is pretty darn high for a soft-point Partition.....you could very easily use just that bullet for everything.I have no prior experience with it but Dober gives great reports on it;it shoots flat at 3050,and groups at 100 yards have gone 1/2", if I am on my game.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looks very nice, Bob.

Pretty hard to go wrong with anything that Hagel put his blessing on..............

IIRC, Dobrenski knew Hagel, at least casually, & met him a few times; prolly some inspiration there.

Glad it worked out for you; if I ever do another version of a Big 7, it would most likely be a Mashburn, if for no other reason than just because.

What's the weight of that rig?

MM

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Looks like a dandy rifle Bob.

Great looking, and very capable!

Have fun with it.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bob - very nice.

I've threatened to have my Classic re-chambered to the Mizzum - especially since I have a 7 SAUM. Is it guaranteed not to miss?

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
7mm Mashburn's are for complete nut-jobs. I should know, I'm friend's with one... (grin).

BTW, beautiful rifle Bob!

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It do shoot pretty flat -27 at 500 for the 175 started at 3050 and -25 for the 160 Partition started at 3150. Plus calculated recoil of ~ 30-32 ft/lbs for an 8.25 lb gun.

Huh.........

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bob I can like any cartridge that uses the 300 Win Mag case.Congrats on your new rifle.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Bob,
Great looking rifle and a cool cartridge. Can you give more specifics on the metal work that Gene did (have any pics of that?). What contour barrel..is that an Echol's contour? Also how was rifle bedded..are you using a pressure point on the forend or free float.
Terry

Terry
B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Sendero
Bob,
Great looking rifle and a cool cartridge. Can you give more specifics on the metal work that Gene did (have any pics of that?). What contour barrel..is that an Echol's contour? Also how was rifle bedded..are you using a pressure point on the forend or free float.
Terry

Terry:I'll try to cover that stuff, best I can.It's written down somewhere grin

The barrel is a #2 krieger CM that I had here.I can tell it has been machined to sharpen the transition from the chamber area into the barrel shank,just enough to give a definitve edge.He cut and crowned to finish up at 24".The barrel has also been "drawn" (and polished?)before it was blued;you can tell holding it to the light because there is not a wave, or ripple in the blue job anywhere...just straight lines;ditto the action.

He blueprinted the action,squared up the lugs, etc,all the good stuff done when barreling up these days.

He installed an Echols H&H-length box magazine,and a Dakota-type follower.My first round down sits on the left rail.Extractor is a Williams and you can put a cartridge on the bolt face and swing it around;it won't drop a cartridge..... and who knows what he did to the extractor/ejection system but it feeds, extracts, ejects reliably everytime...I have rapid fired it and it gooses empties a long way.I am certain he modified the ejector/bolt stop to handle the H&H length cartridges.

Dunno what he did,but the action doesn't "feel" anything like it did when I sent it to him.It feels somehow "tighter",less play and slop,smoother overall.

Bottom metal is Williams and has been recontoured so that the trigger guard tapers to the rear toward the back screw;nice touch...it's also nicely blued and polished.

Mounts are leupold DD's which I requested;they are ground to the receiver.He changed screw spacing on the bridge;I think this was done because he machined the bridge to allow use of a H&H-length round(This is what I like about Gene;this is a small item that you don't have to mention to him;when you say set it up for H&H length, he knows EXACTLY what is required;does the whole thing "right").

The bolt handle is the original M70 Classic, recontoured.He notched the cocking piece shroud so that in the fire position the arm of the safety makes no contact.Nice little touch.

I am sure he machined/polished the bolt body as there is no visible seam where the bolt handle is fixed to the bolt body. The bolt body is jeweled,which I like.Bolt release is built up and checkered.The trigger is the original,but he contoured it to a slender profile.It really feels great and breaks like glass.I asked for 3.5 pounds but whatever....from off hand it broke nicely when I said "go".

The sling swivel studs are a nice two screw design,perfectly inletted.There are a lot of subtle touches in the rifle that make it a nice package.

Overall everything is just tighter,slicker,nicer feeling than when I sent it to him.It's apparent that he paid a lot of attention to small details here as there are lots of little touches making a nice package.

I knew going in that a #2 chambered for a cartridge of this power was on the light side for a powerful high velocity cartrdige;and the Edge stock is light as well.I had heard that D'Arcy does not like to use an Edge on anything bigger than 300 Win Mag.I suspect Gene felt the same way.I could have gone heavier in both the barrel and stock but figured it would shoot regardless because it was put together well...but I wanted a portable rifle that while not being too heavy,was not too light either.That said, I knew I was on the ragged edge with this chambering.that said, this ain't a BR rifle....it's meant for hunting.

It shoots very well,not to BR standards,but groups with the form load and the 160's are sub MOA and enough 1/2" 3 shot groups show up to know I am likely the limiting factor.

When I got to the 175's though, at full velocity, the wheels fell off...groups were in the 2" range.Also, shot from my hands ,field prone at 300 yards,it showed a tenedency to double group,ie....in a 5 shot string,the first shot was always where it should go...but the others would follow a predictable "high shot/low shot" routine.And groups were about 2 MOA.I suspected I was building a pretty big fire, lots of tourque with that long 175 at high velocity.This occured only with the 175 gr load.139's and 160's did not do this.Apparently I hit the wall with the 175's at full velocity.

Without calling Gene, I pulled the action and cut a small swatch of adhesive-backed pipe insulation;the squishy neoprene-type stuff,and set it an inch back from the forend.This cured things and the first group at 100 yards with the 175 Nosler Partition put 3 shots into 1/2".I then fired it field prone at 300 again and groups went right to 3-3.5",and the "double grouping" disappeared.

I called Gene and told him what happened and he said he doubted the barrel and forend were touching, but likely what I saw was stock resonance;said he had seen that before from light ridgid stocks and slender tubes.Apparently when riding the bags,this is attenuated;but from my hands there was not enough to bring it under control.He was curious about how I came up with the solution,and equally curious about the material used..... :)He said he thought I was on to something....

I have shot the rifle several time since;no shift in POI and good groups. I fired the 160 Nosler Partition and AB at 3150 yesterday at 300 yards;group was about 3" with each; no discernable difference in accuracy from a practical standpoint.Keep in mind this is with my left hand supporting the rifle,and no rear bags.

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

What's the weight of that rig?

MM

MM. I dunno because I have not weighed it....but I can tell handling it that it is more than my 7-7.5 pound 270's;less than my M70 Classic in 7RM.I am guessing it at 8-8.25.I also can tell it will not break me down.Not sure I would want it any lighter.

bwinters:I think Brad is right....you gotta be a nut case to build one.... smile

Given all the 7 mags out there,and the STW being pretty much the same thing,it is pretty hard to justify unless you are wedded to the notion that you just want something different, and want to have some fun,while getting a tick up in velocity.Will it matter on anything you shoot?I doubt it...Will it wok really well?We all know the answer to that.....it will work splendidly.Twoof the most prominent riflemen/hunters of the 20th century used it everything from Asian Mountain game,to grizzlies,sheep,elk, moose, etc.gene said he loved that long 175 gr at high velocity,said it would penetrate like crazy..

It is probably as rational as building a 280 AI grin But hell, the fireform loads do what a 280AI or factory 7RM loads will do,in a rifle configured about the same.....with the Mashburn, that's the warmup smile

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Pretty cool stuff there. I used a 7mm Rem mag with 175's from both Nosler & Sierra for a few years. Really enjoyed that combination, it worked very well for me.

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Guy how did the Sierra's do for you?Kill game with them? I have a pile of them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just a random thought here. Wonder how a 7mm Remington case with a 40 degree Ackley shoulder and long throated for the 160-175 bullet would compare to the Mashburn ballistically?

Such a setup would make for easier case forming.

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Should try the 150gr Nosler Partition in your new rifle Bob.I promise, you'll love the results.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Bob, that Echols stock is a thing of beauty. Makes me want to throw away the edge I just got for my M70

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hillbillybear
Just a random thought here. Wonder how a 7mm Remington case with a 40 degree Ackley shoulder and long throated for the 160-175 bullet would compare to the Mashburn ballistically?

That would sound a lot like a 7mm Sharpe & Hart; performance is good, but a tad below the Mashburn, IIRC.

MM

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Bob, thanks for sharing your project with us. I have never tried the Mashburn, but I had one of the first 7MM-3000WM in my neck of the woods-1975 or there about. I still use a 7RM some. However, recoil has begun to bother me some and I don't like muzzle brakes or heavy rifles. So my solution to the ideal elk, deer round is the .280AI. I can push the 160gr Nosler Partition at 2950fps without torturing my rifle or cases and recoil is not bad at all. The rifle is on a pre-64 Mod.70 with a #2 Krieger, it's stock is a well finished piece of English walnut with good color contrast and well done checkering. I'm going elk hunting in a couple of weeks so I did a final zero check yesterday and got a slightly less than 4" five shot group at 300yds.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That is one fine rig. Cool factor is off the charts. Since no one has claimed it, I will. DIBS. grin

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Bob that is sweet with the cool meter pegged!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very nice rifle Bob. Interesting fix for the stock resonance.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Bob, that is a beautiful rifle! Very, very well executed as only a Simillion, Echols, Penrod can do.

Congratulation!

Mind posting a pic of the cartridge?

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Nice rifle.

Does anybody have a few pics of the cartridge case itself, especially in comparison to a 7mag, etc.

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B

That would sound a lot like a 7mm Sharpe & Hart; performance is good, but a tad below the Mashburn, IIRC.

MM

Hillbilly: I have not formed an Ackley shoulder,but have "long throated" a few 7RM's and generally they work a lot better than a standard Rem 700-type factory throat.There is not a huge velocity gain,but I found the cartridge a lot more tractible as you got to max than with some shorter factory throats;I think barrels and throats are behind a lot of the difficulties a lot of guys see with the 7RM;why many will hit a wall and the velocities are not quite up to what one "expects" of the cartridge.

Of course if you throat for the 160-175, you compromise bullet/land relationship with 140 gr bullets,because thet have to jump to the lands.Sometimes this works OK and sometimes not.

It is really as much the longer neck,longer bullet seating,and a skosh more capacity that makes it easier to hit these velocities in the Mashburn,as opposed to the Remington...the Mashburn just lets you get there easier near as I can see so far.There is not a real universe of difference;but if you have struggled with the 7RM to get the vels you see from some sources,the Mashburn will be appreciated.

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Bob, that Echols stock is a thing of beauty. Makes me want to throw away the edge I just got for my M70

oldelk: That Echols stock is about as nice as I have seen,especially for a magnum chambering;the stock could be one of the reasons it does not seem to kick so much...... wink

Gene tells me D'Arcy did the paint job on it,which is a two-tone black/brown.

Last edited by BobinNH; 10/01/10.

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
SuperT:Sounds like you are GTG;I suspect that load will put an elk hoofs up in short order! wink And as you note,with less recoil as a bonus.

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
DD/Huntr; I will try to get a few pics of the cartridge through the forming process this weekend.

There is more than one way to skin the cat and I have had a couple of conversations with Bill Steigers at BBC;he is instructing me on how to fully form the Mashburn case with tumbling media(corn husks),large pistol primers,and Bullseye pistol powder.

That means I can form cases from new brass by firing out the back door at the house...the neighbors will love it,but hey this is NH...there are always guns going off here! grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

MM

Hillbilly: I have not formed an Ackley shoulder,but have "long throated" a few 7RM's and generally they work a lot better than a standard Rem 700-type factory throat.There is not a huge velocity gain,but I found the cartridge a lot more tractible as you got to max than with some shorter factory throats;I think barrels and throats are behind a lot of the difficulties a lot of guys see with the 7RM;why many will hit a wall and the velocities are not quite up to what one "expects" of the cartridge.

Of course if you throat for the 160-175, you compromise bullet/land relationship with 140 gr bullets,because thet have to jump to the lands.Sometimes this works OK and sometimes not.

It is really as much the longer neck,longer bullet seating,and a skosh more capacity that makes it easier to hit these velocities in the Mashburn,as opposed to the Remington...the Mashburn just lets you get there easier near as I can see so far.There is not a real universe of difference;but if you have struggled with the 7RM to get the vels you see from some sources,the Mashburn will be appreciated.

Thanks for the information. I have never chronographed any 7MM Remington factory ammo that was even close to the factory listed velocity and only one 7mm I have worked with came near the loading manual listed velocities before hitting pressure issues.

This 7MM Mashburn of yours has set me to thinking. That usually winds up costing me money smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh, how is the cost of the Echols stock versus a "standard" McMillan?

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Azshooter
Very nice rifle Bob. Interesting fix for the stock resonance.

AZ: Th double groups had me puzzled;something changed when I went from the bags to a "softer" medium, like my hands.I repeated the test a few times to make sure it was not me.It wasn't.

Thinking on it I felt the barrel didn't need "up pressure" so much as it needed something to "dampen" vibration,since it had shot well with the lighter bullets.So I thought about the pipe insulation. That cured it.

I have noticed with these precisely tuned sporters with light barrels, that they really shoot well,but equally true that if you feed them something they do not like,they will let you know right away...a guy has to figure out what is wrong.

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
hillbilly: They are available through D'Arcy at pretty much the same prices for the stock as for the mcMillans IIRC. A friend bought three,and sent them to CAS for paint and bedding.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
hillbilly: They are available through D'Arcy at pretty much the same prices for the stock as for the mcMillans IIRC. A friend bought three,and sent them to CAS for paint and bedding.

Thanks. I didn't know if they were more expensive than the standard ones.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hmm.....never heard about the round could someone tell me a bit about it.. wink

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

Dober

The nut-job appears (grin)...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Good looking rig Bob, well cept for the Model 70 part.......grin

Anyone got a pic of said cartridge next to say a Remington version?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nut job, panache, style.....same o same o... grin

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bob-the 160 Sierra HPBT is one heck of an accurate and game killing son of a gun! Add 7828 of course..grin

Dober

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nut job, panache, style.....same o same o... grin

Dober

Was thinking about Cole's first lope trip five years ago... the old Mashburn whacked and stacked lopes in style.

And your shooting wasn't too bad either... (grin)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah every once in a while a blind dog finds a bone...

Seems to me you whacked a lope that day, and got whacked that day yourself.. grin

Dober

(Hitting the lake in a few, call if you wish)

Last edited by Mark R Dobrenski; 10/02/10.

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Good looking rig Bob, well cept for the Model 70 part.......grin

Anyone got a pic of said cartridge next to say a Remington version?

Thanks Scott! It was tough choosing an action, but the M70 was all I had lying around........ whistle

Skane has pics of the 7RM and Mashburn compared,both empties and loaded rounds.Sure he will post for me when he sees it on his email.....

Hell,why I am I doing all this explaining?.......Dober is the Mashburn guru.....not me......I'm the "student" smile

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Dober

Dober you walked me through this project....thanks! I have mostly not shot anything else since it showed up!This thing is almost the most fun you can have standing up grin

BTW, I tried the FF method Steigers and RinB schooled me on....result is perfectly formed Mashburn brass,which I loaded with 75-H1000 and 160 Partition.Going to the range with it now.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
That one of them there controlled feed jobbies? What's that about? laugh

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Been looking forward to hearing about this Bob.

Congrats, that's a great looking rig.....although I'm kinda surprised you didn't go with a McSwirley wink

“Factio democratica delenda est"
B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
ny: I left the stock color up to Gene and D'Arcy...I think it came out nice! grin

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Bob,
Would love to see some additional pics of the rifle!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice project Bob.
Good when a plan comes togeather.

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Dave:Workin' so far.....wonder how it would do with a GS Custom? grin

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Brad
7mm Mashburn's are for complete nut-jobs. I should know, I'm friend's with one... (grin).

BTW, beautiful rifle Bob!

Thanks, Brad.Handsome is as handsome does and near as I can tell so far it performs nicely.Being a rifle "student"(always learning),and a bit of a history buff,it's an interesting cartridge to me and fascinating when you think about how it got started....and how well it turned out in a day when folks did not have access to the info and technology that we now have;even Warren Page had to send cartridges and rifle to Remington to get the velocity info that any of us can get in an afternoon now,on our own.

Tastes in cartridges shift like the wind and guys are constantly running around to newer,different cartridges.I think a lot of this activity is circular, like fish swimming in a barrel,and lots of new cartridges are not all that "new";the design or performance parameters having been set decades ago.The Mashburn is a good example of that....witness the "new" 284 Jarrett,or the STW.

Goes to show you can't really know where you are unless you know where you've been.....

I thought it was poetic justice that my first shot over the chronograph with a 175 Partition measured 3050.....precisely what Page said his old rifle did at the Remington plant back in 1959.... smile

And yet there is newer good stuff today.....personally I think the 6XC should replace the 243 in short action sporting rifles....just a better, forward looking design.And old Bill Steigers told me the other day if he were looking to build a hotter 375 than the H&H round,he would not bother with his old favorite 375AI,but would move right on up to the 375 RUM with its' good, modern brass and plenty of capacity..

.....this from a guy whose clients were blowing out 404 Jeffrey brass and necking it down to 30 caliber a couple of decades before the 300RUM saw the light of day...interesting to think about and there ain't much new under the sun!

Last edited by BobinNH; 10/03/10.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It would be a boring old world if everyone shot a 30-06!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's great to read of the enthusiasm that another rifle can bring.

Superb writing such as BobinNH's and that of others makes it so enjoyable.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Your Mashburn would turn 120g GS-HVs into screaming missiles of destruction.
It would work just fine Bob.
They also have a 140g GS-HV but im not sure that your 1-9 twisted barrel would do the trick.
Person would have to call.
The lighter bullets dont seem to be theme here in this project.
Betcha a 120 grainer wouldn't kick as much as the stuff your shooting.......

dave

[Linked Image]

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Dave is 9 twist too slow for the 140?

I figured I'd give it the traditional stuff for now smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
1-9 should be just fine short of a javelin. smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
http://www.gsgroup.co.za/284140HV189.html
A bit confusing.
Gina could clear that up in no time.
The 140 HV should work fine.
As monos they are long for caliber.
.... A 140 HV out a a Mashburn...... sleep

dave

[Linked Image]

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Karnis
1-9 should be just fine short of a javelin. smile

I'm guessin' the same wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
7RM and Mashburn pict from Robert.

[Linked Image]

WWP53D
B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by SKane
7RM and Mashburn pict from Robert.

[Linked Image]

Thanks Scott!

Left to right is a 7 Rem Mag empty;a 300 Win Mag after a pass through the Mashburn form die which starts to form the shoulder and lengthen the neck;a Mashburn case afer a pass through the trim die,which brings the neck to 7mm; a loaded 7RM round; Mashburn case loaded with the 175 gr Nosler Partition.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Guy how did the Sierra's do for you?Kill game with them? I have a pile of them.

Bob,

I have killed a pile of deer sized citters with 160 Sierra Gamekings in a long throated 7mm Rem Mag using max loads of R22. This is a pretty tough bullet and it pretty much exists every time. I substituted it for a 160 Nosler Partition for use on paper and later tried it on game. Frankly,I never could tell them apart,quick kills and exits.

John Barsness uses the same bullet in his 7x57 and speaks well of it.

I also used the 150 Sierra Gameking out of my Custom 7mm Weatherby for long range deer and antelope. It has worked well at what I consider long range,350 to 500 yards. So far nothing has walked away from one of these either.

Hope this info will be useful.

RD

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Yes it is Britt;thanks for that. I have been burning Partitions to get to a hunting load,but if that Sierra works I may run those....got several boxes. smile

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
That is a good looking rig, I hope it turns out to be a lucky rifle for you.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Why the 175gr Bob?

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
StrayDog: Thanks! It gets its first run in Wyoming on the 15th.

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 7 STW
Why the 175gr Bob?

Mike as you know,about everything in 7mm works good in a big 7,provided bullet structure is suited to the task.This leads to a lot of jumping around smile One bullet for a bunch of tasks has its' appeal.I have used the 140 and 160 a good deal in the past,but not the 175.

I won't stick strictly to the 175(I'm taking 160's to Wyoming),but keep in mind that it certainly has a lot going for it....a high BC,noted for deep penetration,reliable expansion,and suited to anything you can use a 7mm on.

Plus this cartridge(in truth most all 7 mags) starts it fast enough to qualify it for long range(at least my brand of long range)on about anything.....its' trajectory started at 3050 matches pretty closely to that of a 300 Weatherby 180 Partition started at 3150-3200 or so.Flat shooting and hard hitting enough for any rational purpose and still manageable.

I also have a bunch of 160 and 175 BBC's that I will use.And none of this prevents me from using a TSX,etc. I even have a box of 150 Etips downstairs smile

Last edited by BobinNH; 10/04/10.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good Morning to you Bob.

Yet to try a E Tip in my 7's.Prolly won't unless a box of 140gr slugs hit my hand.I used to be a heavy bullet guy myself..Know where your coming from.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've been known to run a 175 Noz from time to time, it works, hard to believe I know...grin

My main stock has been the old Semi's, they shot very well and killed very well as far as I wanted to shoot.

Dober

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Bob,
I havn't had much luck with accuracy from 175's in my 7 mm barrels. I use to load 175 Sierra and Hornady for my brother's Savage 110 and it loved them. It didn't make sense to me because his rifle had a 1-10 twist, which proves you never know until you start shooting the loads.

When I was a youngster in my 30's there was an older gentlemen in camp that had a Rem 700 and he shot 175 grainers for everything from elk to antelope. He had it zeroed at some long distance like 500 or 600 yards and just aimed a few inches lower on the animal at everything closer. Another thing that didn't make much sense to me at the time, but he was used to it and it worked for him.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
4 a long time I used the 175 Semi for all that moved as well, may go back to it for a while as it sure has some panache..<g>

The 175 Sie has been a bit picky when it comes to accuracy for me but the 175 Horn has been incredibly stellar!

Dober

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Dober I got a funny feeling that even in this day of super bullets, that old 175 might just be one of the superest of all. smile

That thing is as long as a panatella!

StrayDog; I struggled a bit with the 175,too in the 9twist barrel....until I figured what was going on...but they are shooting fine now,and this rifle puts them right there with the 160's at 300 yards.I could use them pretty much interchangeably.

There is only about 100 fps difference in the velocity between the two......so a guy scratches his head and says..."Geez,why do I need anything but the 175?" grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
yeah I've given a critter or two the old panatella dirt nap..grin

Dober

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have heard of the 7 MM Mashburn Magnum, and also a 7 MM Mashburn Super Magnum.

Are they the same cartridges?

I have a Speer Reloading Manual for Wildcat Cartridges, dated 1960. It has 7 MM Mashburn Magnum loads listed. This is where I got the Mashburn Magnum and Mashburn Super Magnum. In one place it is called the Mashburn Magnum, and a page or two futher on, it is referred to as the Mashburn Super Magnum. I have always wondered if they were both the same cartridge.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I used the 175 partitions on a variety of game in Namibia last year and they produced the nastiest looking wounds I have seen. You have to go to 375 to notice a consistent difference. I was shooting them at about 2900 and at 3050 they would only be better and flatter shooting as well. Reminds me of an old girlfriend who said "I am a sure thing and don't take advantage of it". Still have the big 7 but was stupid re the girl.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
D
D
Bob,

Love that 7mm Mizzum!

Congrats on the new rifle! Hope is it all that you expected and more!

I assume as it uses D'Arcy's mag box that it holds 4 down?
How do you like D'Arcy's Legend stock? I am thinking about ordering one for a similar project.

I think it's reasonable to say we could use a few more pics of the rifle and perhaps a pic or two of the Mizzum round would be nice....and maybe a recently dead critter and the new rifle...? grin

Best Regards,
Dave

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I would also love to see some additional pics of the rifle...

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Guys I will do the best I can on more pics....and hopefully if I find the Wyoming buck I'm looking for I can get a dead critter grin.....I just got the rifle two weeks ago.

Dave there are pics of the cartridge that Skane posted.

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
123: I have read that Mashburn worked on at least two versions;a H&H length case necked down,and a slightly shortened version that was more efficient,and which he called the 7mm Mashburn Super.This is Dobers cartridge,and the same one used by Hagel and Page. It is the cartridge my rifle is chambered for.

Hagel writes that there was a 3rd one, which seems to have been a "short" version,which I guess no one liked either. It was the middle one,the one we are talking of here,that became the "Super".This was the one that is variously refered to as the Mashburn, or Mashburn Super.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Bob, good luck on finding that big buck. If you do get him, pictures please. One of my brothers is in Evanston now he'll be hunting soon, he too is on the trail of a big one. I'll join him later in the month in Utah when we'll be hunting elk and deer. In September I got a decent buck antelope just a mile or two or three from Evanston, but in Utah. As you can likely tell I'm ready, really ready to go.

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
superT: Thanks...will do my best to find one. smile

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
This thread has me lusting after another big 7mm. A 7 Ultra on a model 70 is appealing and it would fill the niche between my 300 ultra and 280,270 and 25-06......

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
B: Get one! wink

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bob:

Thanks for the info on the 7 MM. That clears it up.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Very cool, Bob!

Gonna rock a Big 7 one of these days. I kind of wisht I'd listened to you and Dober and done my Sendero as a 7mm, but if memory serves they only offered it in the 7 RUM at the time which just REEKS of "overbore"......

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks Jeff!Well you could get a PacNor or something for your 300 and rebarrel....like falling off a log!That would be very simple.

That 7RUM is quite a cartridge,fastest of the bunch, but will likely chew up barrels pretty quick....but it works!

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 1234567
Bob:

Thanks for the info on the 7 MM. That clears it up.

123: You're welcome!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Seems to me that PN has a Mashburn reamer...

Dober

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Seems to me that PN has a Mashburn reamer...

Dober

There ya go,Jeff! grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bob, I checked with reception - the "ugly" M70 in 7mm hasn't arrived yet. WTH? wink grin

WWP53D
B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Scott you are relentless..... grin

It has assigned tasks for November......I am teetering with dolling it up, but may leave it ugly just to annoy people cool

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You're going to annoy me if you douse that thing with polane. laugh

WWP53D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks Jeff!Well you could get a PacNor or something for your 300 and rebarrel....like falling off a log!That would be very simple.

That 7RUM is quite a cartridge,fastest of the bunch, but will likely chew up barrels pretty quick....but it works!

Yeah, that's the plan. As you know it won't break my heart to consign the tube on it now to the scrap heap of history (though it is accurate).

The 7's are interesting. The difference between what my loading books say, and what people claim, is pretty dramatic for say the 7mm Mag. From there, there the fire-breathers like the STW and the RUM. I guess what you are saying is that the mizzum fits nicely in between.

I can't like a forming step with the brass though. I essentially have to do that with my 300 WM and annoys the hell out me.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The fire forming load I use is so accurate that I can find a ton of uses to form with it. I'd sure not worry about it but that's just me.

As for the diffs in speeds of the big 7's I'd find a couple people with tons of experience with them and go with what they say.

Dober

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Jeff the form load is fun....doesn't kick at all and is accurate as Dober says.Forming brass is pretty cool too!It really is an easy cartridge to work with; no surprises, gets the advertised velocity and does not kick bad at all......

veddy nice all round!

What is wrong with the 300 barrel?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't like wasting components. It adds a box of primers, 50 bullets, and 1/3 lb of powder to the cost of 50 pieces of new brass! crazy

Getting to know a new rifle, not so bad, but as an ongoing thing it annoys me with my rifle anyway.

(mine has a very sloppy chamber, won't shoot well with virgin brass, to top it off I only get ~4 maybe 5 loadings before the necks split out so to even get THAT, I have to anneal, then form, THEN finally have usable brass.)

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Geez......that sucks!If not a rebarrel, does it make any sense to set the barrel back a few threads and rechamber with a good reamer?

You could also set up the throat for your favorite bullets and things would get rosy real quick wink

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bob:

The Speer manual I mentioned in my first post has several loads listed for the 7 MM Mashburn, with different weight bullets.

The book was publishd in 1960, so I don't know how up-to-date the data is, but if you want, I can send some of the loads, if you don't already have them.

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
123: Thanks that would be great!

I enjoy comparing the old powders to the newer ones' and how they all performed.

For now, I am pretty well set for loads,and it has boiled down to:
160 Partition-75 H1000-3150 fps
175 partition- 73 H1000-3050
160 Bitterroot-74-H1000 for the sam vels as the 160 partition.
139 Hornady-65-IMR4350. This is Dober's fireform load and gives 3150-3190 from my barrel.

I also worked up a "form load"using large pistol primers, Bullseye,and RCBS corn husk tumbling media. This works great as well.

What is interesting is that Warren Page's load for the 175 was 73 of the WW II H4831 and the 175 partition at 3050;same velocity and same charge weight I got with H1000.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Bump for a good round and the people who like it.

I couldn't sleep, so I've been up reading about the 7-MM MSM

I'm getting ready to do another build. Might as well have a 7-MSM

Did Bob ever get that deer in Wyoming?

You all have a good day

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
I can really appreciate the Mashburn.

But, I am so enamored with the 280 AI that I will likely never move past it.

Still, hats off to those who are unwilling to rest with the mainstream stuff.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Wow! Was this really 5 years ago?

Hammerdown I did get that buck in Wyoming...he grossed about 180. He was a nice one!

But I did not get him with the Mashburn. frown

Day before departure I went to the range and had a scope issue. Metering hours before departure,I grabbed a 270 that was zeroed.Shot the buck as he ran about 80 yards after a long stalk.

Did use the Mashburn back here on a buck at about 300 yards later that same year.I do expect to use the rifle this fall again.

As to the build if you are inclined, no need to get fancy. Sgt Beretz on here punched out a M70 and we walked him into a knot-hole load (factory barrel), in two afternoons. Dave 7mm built one with a Rem 700 and Chanlyn barrel and was done with his ladder test in one day.

It ain't hard. smile

Use WW brass.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hi Bob,
That Chanlyn barrel is a sweethart.
No 3 conture is drilling stupid small groups at 400 yards with 168g Berger classic hunting bullets.I sent Bob the pictures...
My Mashburn is just a tool.Built the way I like.
M700 action
McMillian HTG in edge painted in desert digital camo.
Worked over M700 trigger.Safe locks the bolt down.
Feeds and functions like glass..
Even skipped the S&B and put a Zeiss Victory 2.5-10x50 to keep the weight off it.
The first season I ran Rel 25 and the 150g ballistic tip.
Deer ran aways more than I wanted.Dead deer running type of thing.
Last season switched to the 168g Berger.And H1000.
Dead deer.No problem.
I like H1000 alot.
Thanks for all your help Bob.

dave

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
How does RL33 work in this cartridge?

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Hi Dave: You REALLY made it look easy. wink

After watching you work that cartridge out I felt like a dummy! smile

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by SU35
How does RL33 work in this cartridge?

Bob have not tried it but my WAG is it would be great with 175-180's.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Bob,
I still have the buck picture
[Linked Image]

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
MM: Hilarious! Green check and all LOL!

He trotted across after a hot doe at about 300 yards. I kill ANY buck in NH, I call everybody!

Thanks!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
The pic was bigger but image shack resized it for me mad

He was a great buck and, you look good in green.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Hello all

I've been out of town for a bit, I'm back now.

Bob and others, thanks for your input in this thread. I hear good things about the 7-MSM. It's a win-win. (if you like it).

Take care.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Who has 7mm WSM brass in stock for handloading?

I looked at two suppliers and one was out and the other said it was a "seasonal run".

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What does WSM brass have to do with a Mashburn?

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I like mine so far. Done everything I asked of it.

Worked as it was was supposed on the lil cow..

[Linked Image]

160 AB blew in and out the other side at 254 yards. She never took a step. Not a manly test of it, but it was cool to finally put all the shooting on something.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Savage_99
Who has 7mm WSM brass in stock for handloading?

I looked at two suppliers and one was out and the other said it was a "seasonal run".

You always post and manage to go Full Retard. I'm curious what the process is like for you when you turn your computer on. Funny as [bleep], I bet.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Well Bob, how long before you begin tinkering with a 28 Nosler?

Robert E. Lee
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I think the 28 Nos must be pretty close to the 7 Mizzum.

Expensive brass, good quality, ready to go, no fire forming needed.

I don't have a 28, opinions are based on 26 Nos brass. Last year I built two 26's, one for me, one for a hunting bud.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by KDK
What does WSM brass have to do with a Mashburn?

Nothing, obviously... crazy

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Doesn't the new 28 Nosler have quite a bit more powder capacity than the Mashpotato ? Isn't the Mashburn just a 300 WM case ?

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Well Bob, how long before you begin tinkering with a 28 Nosler?

Reloader the 28 Nosler sounds like a great cartridge.

But I don't see one in my future. I am so vested in 7RM and 7mm Mashburn rifles, brass,dies etc. that whatever advantage it may offer will be lost on me.

I am up the whazoo in 300 Win Mag brass to form cases and the Mashburn Super has proved to be pretty simple to make and run that I have no real desire for anything else.I am very happy with the cartridge and my rifle. grin

It works pretty good!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by RDFinn
Doesn't the new 28 Nosler have quite a bit more powder capacity than the Mashpotato ? Isn't the Mashburn just a 300 WM case ?

It does.

I just checked the Nosler site.

28 Nosler with 175 gr. bullet, 90 gr. H20 case capacity
300 WM with 175/180 gr. bullet, 82.3 gr. "
300 Wby with the same bullet 91.8 gr. "

I remembered that the 6.5/300 Wby was pretty close to the 26 Nos, although the new Wby round is hotter. Slightly more case capacity plus Roy's magic freebore... grin

Using the .300 WM as a basis, the 28 Nos is a bigger round than the 7mm Mizzum.

Bob may be able to educate us on the exact case capacity of the Mashburn with 175 gr. bullet.

DF

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
DF I am certain the 28 Nosler holds more powder. I never measured case water capacity with a bullet seated but the case itself hold 90 gr of water to the top of the neck.There will be tiny differences based on brass internal construction, thickness, etc etc.

(Not that it matters a whole lot but it might be more accurate to say that the 300 Win Mag is nothing more than a 7mm Mashburn Super necked up,and with a shorter neck since (a) the Mashburn came first; and (b)both cartridges share a similar case length, the only two belted cases i know of with that case length.This has made me wonder where Winchester came up with that case length. Maybe some WW engineer saw a Mashburn.?..)

Neither here nor there but good to understand the timeline of how we got where we "were".... smile

Velocities are as interesting as case capacity and here's what I've seen from the Mashburn,and this includes my rifle and a few belonging to others. Barrels are 24" unless otherwise indicated:

My rifle: 175-73 gr H1000 for 3075.
160/162- 75.5 gr H1000 for 3200 (loads with Retumbo and RL25 boost this to 3250 without a sweat and good case life.

I have not fed mine any bullet lighter than 160 in full Mashburn loads, but my FF load (to make brass) with 139 Hornady -65 IMR4350- gives 3150-3190;about like a 280AI.

These velocities are about identical to the velocities obtained by my buddy,and by Scotty Beretz on here, from their rifles. The loads are so uniformly similar, rifle to rifle,that we could shoot each other's loads.

Dave 7mm uses the 150 BT at somewhere between 3250-3300 fps in his Mashburn Super. Dober uses the same load in his. Laker on here has one and shoots the 150 BT but don't recall his velocity and don't know what his loads are.

RCamuglia on here uses the new 195 gr Berger at (IIRC) 2965 with 72 gr H1000 from a 28" barrel,from his 7mm Mashburn Super. I know Rick has run his to over 1500 yards and is happy with it.

I'm in close contact with most all these guys,and they reported as they did load work up.

In any event these velocities are substantial enough that I am not going to worry about how much the 28 Nosler beats it. I'm also not paying much for brass since I'm using that common 300 Win Mag stuff. smile

Besides, doing all these cartridge comparisons gives a guy a headache. I'll just stick with what i got... grin

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
The way Rcamuglia runs his .264 WM, he's nipping at the heels of the 26 Nos and with less case capacity. He's using RL-33 instead of 869 or 872 like I use in my 26. I'm burning a good bit more powder for only marginal gains over his top loads. I know, I know, case capacity rules but there are limits on how much one can squeeze out of a round. Some accuse him of running excessive pressure, but he seems to know what he's doing. I've pushed the 26 to pressure signs without that much gain in performance.

It seems to me, as overbore capacity increases, efficiency drops and reloading for top performance in some of those mega rounds can become a challenge. Data I've seen from even bigger 6.5's isn't as impressive as case capacity would indicate. The new 6.5 Wby edges the 26 Nos by a little, burning more powder and using freebore. The 6.5 RUM and STW are more examples of diminishing returns, IMO.

I know 7 mm's with similar case capacities aren't as overbore as 6.5's and probably not as finicky.

I noted all that to say, the 28 Nosler premium in performance over the 7 mm Mizzum comes at a price some may be unwilling to pay. I can't argue with that...

DF

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
DF: Rick knows what he's doing....Dave 7mm,too. wink

Both are experienced hand loaders and match shooters and whistled through case forming,finding pressure, and "nodes" at distance so fast it made my head spin. They both demonstrated how easy it can be. As I recall both were mostly "done"in 2-3 range sessions. These boys don't screw around. smile

Rick taught me something when he bumped into a case problem which he solved quickly. Done.

I never recommend the round because it's a wildcat;most people are turned off by making cases. Understood. They are far better off with a factory offering.There are plenty of good high capacity 7mm's out there, the Nosler among them. No need to wildcat a Mashburn.

But if you do, it'll perform well against any of them.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Thanks Bob.

My main point, bigger isn't automatically better, or more of these mammoth, overbore rounds would have caught on, which they haven't.

Efficiency, at least to me, is a big deal. Diminishing returns are just that, diminishing returns... smile

Balance is a big deal, at least for me.

I think the 26 Nosler is on the edge and for sure the new 6.5/300 Wby. I find myself working more with my 6.5-284 and 6.5 Creedmoor. I still like the 26, just have other projects ongoing that do what I need them to do. I don't have to burn 90 gr. of powder every time I shoot something... grin

My 6.5 stories are off the 7 mm topic, used as examples of what I'm seeing.

DF

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Tested a 28 Nosler a couple months ago. Didn't have time to test a zillion powders and bullets, but did test a few, and the best load was 160 at just under 3350 fps, using published data with Norma 217. That's from a 26" barrel.

There were zero "pressure signs" but I am sure the load could have been pushed some more without encountering any, since SAAMI maximum pressure is 65,000 PSI and pressure signs don't usually start showing up until around 70,000.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
That's moving the 160 grain bullet right along.

That would be a sweet rifle. I need to resist.

Thanks JB

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Tested a 28 Nosler a couple months ago. Didn't have time to test a zillion powders and bullets, but did test a few, and the best load was 160 at just under 3350 fps, using published data with Norma 217. That's from a 26" barrel.

That's fast!!

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Tested a 28 Nosler a couple months ago....and the best load was 160 at just under 3350 fps...

Granted, it is fast.

What do you reckon Nosler's "flat out, lights out" Herd Bull MPBR is advertised at?

Robert E. Lee
B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Tested a 28 Nosler a couple months ago....and the best load was 160 at just under 3350 fps...

Granted, it is fast.

What do you reckon Nosler's "flat out, lights out" Herd Bull MPBR is advertised at?

Don't know how Nosler measures PBR,but probably so close to the 26 Nosler you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference.

I just ran the quick and dirty numbers through a ballistics calculated, with the 160 AB at 3350. From a 300 yard zero the drop at 400 yards is 7.8"; 13.5 at 450,and 20.6 at 500. That's "flat" for a BG rifle and bullet.

In comparison I ran the numbers for the Mashburn with the same bullet at 3200 ( I would call 3250 as top end). From a 300 yard zero the Mashburn drops 8.6 at 400; 14.9 at 450,and 22.8 at 500.

We can play with vital area numbers and come to our own conclusions. The differences exist but are not great.

Keep in mind the Nosler numbers are from a 26" barrel and the Mashburn a 24".

I bet if we fed the Mashburn a 162 Amax there would be no difference at all....but we won't go there. Just a thought. smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ever run the numbers using the 150 gr Nosler LRAB Bob ?

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
No RD I never have.

To be honest I was thinking that 28 Nosler would match up well with the real heavy 7mm bullets,say nothing less than the 160's 162's...the 175-180's...maybe even the 195 Berger if you're inclined that way.

The case has the capacity to really drive those heavy bullets and I think that's where the advantage is.

Anyway that's how I'd go today. I shoot the 162 Amax a lot in the Mashburn but have yet to use anything less than 160 in that case.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Makes sense. Reason I asked was because the 150 gr LRAB has a higher BC than the 160 gr AB. The 168 gr LRAB's BC is off the charts. I'll bet that you can drive them faster due to the shorter bearing surface on the LRAB's.

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
RD: That case has enough capacity to drive any 7mm bullet fast! wink

And the heavies will outpace the lighter stuff at distance. It's a long range cartridge. Might as well take advantage of all that capacity.

My own half-assed rule is that if a cartridge will drive bullets substantially over 3200 fps, I figure I will reach for the next size up. But that's just me.

Lately,if I want to know if a magnum capacity 7mm shoots well, the 162 Amax is the first bullet I grab to try. I have never killed anything with them, but to 600 yards(as far as I can shoot here regularly), it out paces everything else that I have tried.

Which isn't everything mind you... smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
But that's the beauty of those LRAB in that you can run either the 150 or 168 LRAB and still have super high BC's and drive em fast too. I'm a deer hunter so I wouldn't need to use a heavier bullet than either one of those. Might be a little less recoil too using the lighter slugs. One of the loads on Noslers Load Data site calls for 78 or 79 grs of IMR-7828ssc that will drive those 150's at over 3300 fps whereas a lot of the other loads that get top velocities are using 90+ grs of powder. More muzzle blast, throat wear and barrel wear I'd imagine pushing 90+ grs of powder every time you launch a slug down the tube. The standard 160 gr Accubond has a BC of .531. The 168 gr LRAB has a BC of .652 which I believe is higher than the (162) AMAX's. If I were chasing down Elk, I rather be using an Accubond over an AMAX.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If the BC values of those LRAB's were accurate, they'd be a much better alternative than they actually are...

[Linked Image]

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
RD: Sure! I see what you're saying.

Nice thing about it is you can run any good 7mm bullet in it.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Tag

Buy once, cry once.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Put my 7mm Mashburn Super Magnum (AKA 7 Mashengruber :D) together on an A-Bolt LA. Bartlein light Palma 9 twist 5R. Just bedded it into the factory stock whilst I wait for my McMillan A3-5 to show up. Leupold Mark 4 8.5-25 LR/ERT that was hanging around, EGR 20 MOA rail and TPS rings

[Linked Image]

195 Bergers

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Nice! Are those 300 WM necked down in the photo?

Buy once, cry once.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes. Run them through the 7mm Mashburn sizing die (I used a Redding Type S FL Bushing Sizer)

Next, either load bullets like BobinNH does to fire form, or use the Cream of Wheat method like I did to save barrel wear. After the COW method, my shoulders were still .004" short of fully formed.

Went into development at that point. I would definitely turn the necks after they are fully formed into the shoulder like you see there to eliminate any chance of a donut forming....

The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For some reason, the necks on those appear longer than the 300 WM ? Trick photography ? My eyesight outta whack ?

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Anybody care to email me a drawing on the specs of the reamer you are using? I want to order one and dang sure want it to be "right". Send me a PM if you have access to one. Thanks in advance

Buy once, cry once.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For some reason, the necks on those appear longer than the 300 WM ? Trick photography ? My eyesight outta whack ?

They most certainly are

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What my eye sight or the necks are longer ?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The case is the same length but the shoulder has been pushed back, the shoulder is sharper, and the body blown out a bit.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What's the difference between the MashBurn and the 284 Jarrett ?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
7mm Remington Magnum ..........73.5 gr.
7mm Weatherby Magnum ..........78.0 gr.
284 Jarrett ...................85.5 gr.
7mm STW .......................98.3 gr.

The case capacity of my Mashbrun cases are about 4.5 gr. more than the Weatherby. These are case capacities to the base of the neck. From my experience with the Mashbun,it and the Jarret look to be the same or close at least in case capacity if not in form.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What's the case capacity of the 28 Nosler ?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
From things on the net, it is +/- the same as the STW and less than the 7 MM Rem Ultra.

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
What's the case capacity of the 28 Nosler ?

Per recent articles, the Nosler has a capacity of 99 grains of water.

Fully formed Mashburn cases (mine) held 90 gr H2O to top of neck.

As Docbill points out the Mashburn case has a longer neck than a 300 WM case. It is also very slightly more blown out than the 300 Win Mag. Helpful with long 7mm bullets in a 3.6" box(aka all Rem 700 actions;M70's can also be easily altered).

The Jarrett is based on the 300 Win Mag case as well. He purloined the Mashburn idea. He's just behind the times by a few decades.... grin

Last edited by BobinNH; 11/17/15.

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Put my 7mm Mashburn Super Magnum (AKA 7 Mashengruber :D) together on an A-Bolt LA. Bartlein light Palma 9 twist 5R. Just bedded it into the factory stock whilst I wait for my McMillan A3-5 to show up. Leupold Mark 4 8.5-25 LR/ERT that was hanging around, EGR 20 MOA rail and TPS rings

[Linked Image]

195 Bergers

[Linked Image]

Nice!! grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I need to quit reading this thread! grin

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by mudhen

Ben: Bad stuff... wink

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by mudhen

I tried to quit but I caved pretty quick....

Semper Fi
B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Scotty you strolled right into it. What did it take, one or two afternoons and the rifle was throwing knot holes with 160 AB's? smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

[Linked Image]

195 Bergers

[Linked Image]

Nice!! grin

Just finished it up.

McMillan A3-5 black, tan, white-----33,33,33
Leupold Mark 4 ERT/M5A2 6.5-20 FF TMR
20 MOA rail

[Linked Image]

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Haha Rick bad azz looking rifle! grin

NICE!

That is definitely the most contemporary looking Mashburn I have ever seen! It's a long ways from Page's Old Betsy, but I bet it reaches farther than Warren ever dreamed . wink

Anyone got a picture of Old betsy for contrast to Rick's rifle?

Don't show this to Mudhen LOL!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Beautiful rifle! However, it's not quite my cup of tea. Still thinking about the Mizzum--maybe after the .404 Jeffery is done and squared away...

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ben it'll keep you busy with a project...it has for me,and it actually works really well, too. wink

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Bob passed these to me...

RC, that rifle looks FAST!

Semper Fi
B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks to Doc Bill for the pictures of Old Betsy and Scotty for posting. smile

Thought it would make an interesting contrast to Rick's new rifle, being as they are both chambered for the same 60+ year old cartridge.

Back then, Page used the "best" technology of the day for close to (over?) 400 head of BG animals world wide with this rifle,and the 175 gr Nosler semi spitzer Partition,started at 3050 fps with 73gr H4831...and out to 600 yards on a couple of head of game,as I recall a Greater Kudu and a Wyoming bull elk. Scope is a 4X Kollmorgen Bear Cub.

In contrast, and today, Rick is running a 195 Berger with H1000 at over 2900 fps,and shooting out to 1500 yards with the same cartridge, modern scope,and modern bullets. Distances Page would have thought impossible no doubt. Interesting that it still keeps pace with about anything considered current and up to date among long range cartridges,even if it is a wildcat.

Sounds like a wildcat that has stayed with the times....ample evidence that Art Mashburn did his homework,and Page knew a good thing when he saw it.

Maybe, as Doc Bill said, the best BG wildcat that never became a factory adopted cartridge. Which is OK,too because we can still use it today.

Rick you only have 399 animals to go with that rifle! wink

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
This turned out to be a nice re-birth thread.

I mean, who doesn't like a good 7-MM or two or three. I guy can never have too many.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Hammerdown
This turned out to be a nice re-birth thread.

I mean, who doesn't like a good 7-MM or two or three. I guy can never have too many.

Totally agree with that. The only problem with having 1 Mashburn is it makes me wanna have a 2nd one just in case... grin

It has been an awesome cartridge to work with. Mine is an old beat up 70 XTR that was rechambered to 7 MSM.. It shoots pretty danged well as is and hunts fine, but a truly nice 7mm MSM is high on the want list.

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

In contrast, and today, Rick is running a 195 Berger with H1000 at over 2900 fps,and shooting out to 1500 yards with the same cartridge, modern scope,and modern bullets. Distances Page would have thought impossible no doubt. Interesting that it still keeps pace with about anything considered current and up to date among long range cartridges,even if it is a wildcat.

The only reason I stopped at 1571 yards that day was because it was the longest target we had set up for which I had scope travel smile

The Mark 4 only had a 30mm tube. The new Mark 4 should get me to well over a mile. The ballistics of the 195 grain Berger at 2970 are better than the .338 Lapua shooting a 300 grainer.

Hey Beretzs,

I hear you're using RL-33 with the 175's and doing well. I might have to try some with the 195, but it's shooting so well with H-1000 I'm afraid to try! 100 more FPS may or may not be worth it...

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B

The only reason I stopped at 1571 yards that day was because it was the longest target we had set up for which I had scope travel smile

The Mark 4 only had a 30mm tube. The new Mark 4 should get me to well over a mile. The ballistics of the 195 grain Berger at 2970 are better than the .338 Lapua shooting a 300 grainer.

Hey Beretzs,

I hear you're using RL-33 with the 175's and doing well. I might have to try some with the 195, but it's shooting so well with H-1000 I'm afraid to try! 100 more FPS may or may not be worth it...

That's impressive regarding the 338 Lapua. A lot of return for the recoil dished out.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

Hey Beretzs,

How long a barrel you got on the 7mm ?

if you run the numbers thru JBM , I get ......

7mm drop @ 1000 yds 23 MOA , drift @ 10 mph 48.7 MOA , 1458 ft lb energy

338 drop 25.4 MOA , drift 48.5 MOA , 2102 ft lb energy

I used 2800 fps in the 338 with the Berger 300 gr elite hunter , doable in a 26 barrel

it looks to me like the 7 wins ever so slightly in trajectory , the 338 shades for wind drift , and the 338 simply crushes the 7 in energy delivery , which you would expect.....

so what makes the 7mm ballistics *better* than the 338 ?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
195 Bergers out of my rifle

[Linked Image]

.338 Lapua 300 gr Matchking @ 2800 per Litz

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
the Bergers pack a better BC than Matchkings......seems a fair comparison would be Bergers to Bergers ?

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Whatever! grin

A 7mm is a 7mm,and a 338 is a 338.

Point is well made by comparison. The Mashburn with these high BC bullets is an impressive, modern performer,and the performance comes with substantially less recoil than a 30 caliber or 338 with the same flight characteristics.And with bullets heavy enough to be reliable on most any open country animal.

That it "suits" in a 60 year old lightweight Mauser,or a specialized,modern LR rig demonstrates its adaptability. wink

Last edited by BobinNH; 02/10/16.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Yeah! But the 30's hit harder. grin

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by doubletap
Yeah! But the 30's hit harder. grin

Sure...with a price in recoil. That they may "hit harder", to the extent we can quantify that,is because its bullets are heavier. That makes sense.

But cranking those equivalent 30 caliber bullets up to the same speeds as the equivalent 7mm(to get the same flight characteristics for sure hits in open country),and we find we need a bigger case holding substantially more powder.

Take a simple example of the 300 Weatherby. It takes 83-87 gr of H1000 or 7828(two good powders for the 300 Weatherby) to move a 200 gr partition or AB at over 3000 fps from a 26" barrel.

OTOH, the Mashburn starts a 175 gr Partition at 3050-3100 fps with 73-74 gr of H1000 (similar BC's and velocity).

No doubt the 300 will boot you more in an 8.5 pound rifle.

A buddy took his Mashburn to Wyoming for two seasons, killed a couple of big mule deer with the 175 Partition. He said it killed like his 300 Weatherby. I told him compare a 180 gr 30 caliber bullet at 3200 fps,to a 175 gr 7mm started at 3100 fps. That tells you part of the story.

Even Elmer Keith noticed it back in the 30's with the DuBiel 7mm magnum with 180 WT&C bullet vs the 300 H&H.....

In case we have't noticed, heavy 7mm bullets nudge squarely into the middle range of 30 caliber bullets. No wonder they kill convincingly. The rash of new 7mm is ample evidence that lots of people notice this.

Page noticed this 60 years ago. smile

Last edited by BobinNH; 02/10/16.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Bob , I concede the point that 7mm is very efficient....

what I maybe dont concede is that a Mashburn can kick all that much different than a 300

when you are running nearly 200 gr of bullet at nearly 3000 fps , you are certainly in 300 weatherby territory

I dont know what powder is being used to push those 195 gr pills , maybe RL 33 ? , but I bet its slow and takes nearly as much as a 300 weatherby charge

thus it seems to me it is gonna kick alot like a 300

pushing 175s in the Mashburn at 3 t0 3100 is surely neck and neck with the 300 winchester.....

Last edited by sdgunslinger; 02/10/16.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm using H-1000 in a 28" barrel for 2970. There's room in the case, so I'm betting RL-33 would deliver at least 100 fps more.

The problem is, I'm happy. smile

The rifle is shooting so well with the H1000 that developing with RL33 seems unnecessary.

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
sd: This business of the Mashburn kicking less than the 300 magnum was pitched in the days she the 300 Weatherby was cock of the walk and the 300 Win Mag did not even exist.

A better way to say this might be that...you get kicked less for the same level of external ballistic performance. That sound fair?

I can tell you that I have shot a lot of top end 300 WM,300 Weatherby, and 7 Mash burn. We frequently shoot 300 Bee and Mashburn side by side as my pal has both.

I joke with him and say "Which would you rather shoot?" smile

Answer: "The Mashburn".

And, "Which would you rather carry up an elk mountain?"

Answer: "The Mashburn".... grin It's about a pound lighter.

I can't quantify this in words any better than anyone would see shooting the two side by side. Mashburn recoil is fast...but lighter than a 300 win or weatherby. My rifle weighs 7.5# scoped,and I am a whimpy old man....I cannot manage a 7.5 pound 300 win mag or Weatherby.

Keep in mind that Rick is only burning 73-74 gr of H1000 to generate those velocities with a 195. How much powder and bullet would we need in 30 caliber to get the same level of performance. I suspect we will get kicked a lot more doing it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bob,

I have a heavy 12 pound 300 win mag.
I do not like the recoil at all.
My Mashburn gets shot more.....

dave

[Linked Image]

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by dave7mm
Bob,

I have a heavy 12 pound 300 win mag.
I do not like the recoil at all.
My Mashburn gets shot more.....

dave

Dave...could not have said it better! You certainly would know. wink

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Ok just for giggles I ran some data thru the RCBS recoil calculator. Both theoretical guns weight 7.5 lbs, bullets 175 gr for 7 mm MSM., 180 for 300 Roy. I used my own load data, and Nosler for the Roy. My MSM uses 73 gr H1000 the Roy used 85 of several H1000, 7828, RL-25 for similar vel.; 3050-3100 fps.

Recoil for the MSM was 34 and the Roy 38 ft lbs.

I regularly shoot my 7.5 lb. MSM and it doesn't seem to be vicous or unpleasant. YMMV.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
4 ft lbs difference.....I just dont think my kick o meter is good enough to detect that difference in a side by side blindfold test.....certainly stocking and fit of the rifle to an individual will make much more difference than 4 ft lbs

I suspect most of ya all that are finding Mashburn recoil alot different are using lighter bullets than 175 to 195

a load ive used alot in 300 roy is about 76 gr 4350 under 180s....so size of the powder charge doesnt always have to be much different

I do think the Mashburn is best of the breed if you want a 7 mag....just enough powder capacity to get what the 7 Rem mag users wanted all along without going to the ridiculous powder appetites of the STW or RUM

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
sd: I do shoot mostly 160's...with a smidge of 175's tossed in. I have never fired 195's.

I can say that I have fired enough Mashburn and 300 Weatherby to notice a difference.Mostly because I have shot them side by side....same day....and of course I am not implying the Mashburn does not recoil at all, because of course....it does.

grin

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Ok, I reran the calculations as above with a 160 gr. bullet and 75 gr powder, gun weight same as above and it produced 32 lbs. recoil.

Pays your money and takes your chances.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Muzzle brakes are nice. Even my light Creedmoor has one.

smile

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 20 21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1moredeer, 56 invisible), 3,168 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,591
Posts18,454,313
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.