Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I've never had a problem with water staying liquid on a hot barrel. Then again, I live in Montana.

Here in Texas it tends to steam right off in the summertime.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by GeorgeS3
Does it cause a problem that the barrel is cool and the scope is hot??????
Jus' wonderin'??????
grin grin grin

George

Well, if you go back to that J Burns discussion about scope ring spacing........

On second thought, DON'T !!!!!

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I usually shoot mine until it is hot enough to light my Marlboro off of THEN... I set it in an asbestos gunrest on the bench and heat it ever so slightly with a propane torch on one side and apply dry ice to the opposite side so as to equally dist-ribute the cold and the hot. This is very important in these days of global warming. If it shoots to the left, the heat goes on the left, kind of like adjusting you iron sights. This method saves a lot of time in scope adjustment.

"That God could and would, if He were sought."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Do you reverse this method if in the southern hemisphere?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Jim,
Like you I carry a cooler with ice and a few soft drinks in it when I shoot on a hot day. Also carry a roll of papertowels in my truck. Was fireforming the other day which I normally wait to do when it is colder but I needed to prep some brass.
After a few shots (normally 4 to 5) I soak a paper towel in the ice water in said cooler and then ring it and lay it on the barrel. Usually 3 short leaves folded together and layed out on the barrel will cool it. Sometimes a couple of applications are required. Speed things up dramatically.
Next time I may try your method as it might be quicker. I have had no adverse reaction to this method. Rifle still shoots very accurately and I have been using this method for a long time.

Dave

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Vic, Yes I do but is very important that you turn the gun upside down.

"That God could and would, if He were sought."
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
This summer I bought a Coleman rechargeable air pump and a length of surgical rubber tubing. The rubber tubing cost near as much as the pump which was about $25 at Wal-mart.

It helps

Alan

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A buddy of mine who used to do a lot of prairie dog shooting would rub ice on the barrel (stainless only, of course) to cool it. Oddly, though, he said that inevitably the first shot from the cooled barrel would be off by a considerable margin. After that first shot, it'd go back to shooting where it was supposed to. I have no idea why this happened and neither did he but he assured me that it did.

Only a fool would sell an accurate .30-06
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Arns9
A buddy of mine who used to do a lot of prairie dog shooting would rub ice on the barrel (stainless only, of course) to cool it. Oddly, though, he said that inevitably the first shot from the cooled barrel would be off by a considerable margin. After that first shot, it'd go back to shooting where it was supposed to. I have no idea why this happened and neither did he but he assured me that it did.

When I work up a load I make sure the first two shots ALWAYS hit the same spot whether hot, cold or otherwise. If it don't I move onto another load.

Robert E. Lee
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
The old buffalo hunters on stand, pissed down the bores to cool them off. I'm betting that is why the always shot by themselves! smile

I think the only intelligent way to do this is open the action and let it cool on its own..and don't get them "that hot" in the first place as that will take the throat out of a good barrel.

Like JB if I'm going out to shoot, I take a number of guns with me, and that way I always have one or two cooling while I shoot a cool one..Shoot a few groups, then switch rifles..All these cooling methods take on the picture of a screwball at work! smile smile

IC B3

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
Do you reverse this method if in the southern hemisphere?

It is a little known scientific fact that in the Southern Hemisphere, you turn the rifle upside down to cool.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Something else I forgot....
The little pump bottles at Home Depot/84/Lowes? Pretty handy. I tried a strip of old towel one time with a spray bottle, it was excruciatingly hot and I could only get about 4 or 5 shots before the barrel mirage got ridiculous. So with the towel strip rubber banded on the barrel and the spray bottle handy, I just kept things soaked and had a GREAT time.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ruger700,
I just take a rag that has been soaked in ice water and place it over the barrel. I would not pour water into the barrel to cool it from the inside. If there is still water inside when the shot goes off, it might damage your barrel.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
With my .300 Wby and a very light barrel, the barrel was too hot to touch after three shots. Using the natural chimney effect took 10 minutes to cool. I got an air mattress inflater and four D-cells plus a piece of plastic tubing and could get it about as cool in five minutes.

I found the best solution was to shoot it as little as possible on the range. Practice dry firing or with a .223, which does not get as hot, produces skills which are directly transferrable.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use the water bottle method, I have a piece of 3/8" ID tubing that I have epoxied into a 2 liter bottle. I take the bolt out, push the tubing in the chamber and lift the bottle above the barrel. Works in just seconds, two dry patches and the barrel is shiny clean and dry, no problems with following rounds.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've used starting fluid (ether) to cool barrels for years. I buy it by the case to start an old Intertrashinol low compression Diesel tractor. It cools a barrel right down. Just don't breathe it too much. crazy

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by selmer
I use the water bottle method, I have a piece of 3/8" ID tubing that I have epoxied into a 2 liter bottle. I take the bolt out, push the tubing in the chamber and lift the bottle above the barrel. Works in just seconds, two dry patches and the barrel is shiny clean and dry, no problems with following rounds.

A bike bottle works, albeit a little messy if you aren't careful.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
STA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bring 4 to 5 rifles to the range and rotate guns every 3 shots. Plus I take a min or 2 and clean my brass after every shot....

randy..
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

324 members (16penny, 1_deuce, 204guy, 1minute, 1moredeer, 1beaver_shooter, 45 invisible), 2,308 guests, and 1,082 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,168
Posts18,465,343
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.