Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
C
I am looking for some inexpensive arrows in bulk. I just want to get back to my childhood days of roaming through the woods with a recurve, enjoying an afternoon of shooting at random leaves, stumps, etc, and probably coming home with less arrows than I left with.

I've done some searching, but keep coming up with rather pricey shafts.

Does anybody have a lead on where to find some affordable (semi-expendable) arrows that aren't completely junk kid arrows? I'm looking for complete arrows (or at least fletched and nocked shafts, I've got a bunch of slip on/glue on field points if needed).

Thanks!

GB1

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U

C
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
C
Thanks Matt.

I had already looked there. I really need them at least fletched and nocked, and they want $75 a dozen for uncut arrows (no points)!

Even unfletched/unnocked shafts are something like $48 a dozen! And I'm not set up (nor really desire) to do my own fletching, etc.

Are wooden arrows really that expensive now??

If so, I'll probably end up just picking up cheap aluminum arrows (I see used ones for a buck or two a piece). They'll work for what I have in mind, at less than half the cost of wood.

It's hard to believe that it's that expensive to shoot wood any more. crazy

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
quality Port Orford Cedar was impossible to get for a time, what's available now is in limited supply and is not cheap!

I've not tried the laminated birch ($39/doz), but I did try some Western Larch (still have some shafts). it's heavy (!) and hard to keep straight.

feather-fletched Aluminum is likely going to be the least expensive alternative.

C
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by UtahLefty
feather-fletched Aluminum is likely going to be the least expensive alternative.

That's ironic, and so opposite from what I was expecting.

I figured "cheap" wood = semi disposable, don't care when I break them, arrows.

I'm finding out otherwise though. shocked

Thanks for all of the good info. I guess I'll keep my eyes open for a random deal on wood, but not holding my breath. I don't need (or want) top quality for what I'm doing, but it looks like even that will cost more than aluminum...

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is this reasonable..?

[b][color:#3333FF]Bowhunters Superstore[/color][/b]

Don't know what cheap is,..I don't shoot wooden shafts.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ColdBore
Originally Posted by UtahLefty

That's ironic, and so opposite from what I was expecting.

I figured "cheap" wood = semi disposable, don't care when I break them, arrows.

I'm finding out otherwise though. shocked

Thanks for all of the good info. I guess I'll keep my eyes open for a random deal on wood, but not holding my breath. I don't need (or want) top quality for what I'm doing, but it looks like even that will cost more than aluminum...

Unless you can fletch yourself.....decent wood shafts are more expensive than aluminum. I usually pick up a dozen shafts or so at a time but I shoot judo points in the woods/fields to help save them. For disposibles I used to pick up wooden (Ramen wood) dowells from the hardware store. Once straightened and sealed, they were pretty tough and came in at @ $1.50/shaft for 11/32, $1.75/shaft for 23/32 shafts, although they were heavier than my douglas fir or POC shafts. It is the weeks worth of labor to sand, straighten, tune, seal, dip, crest, top coat, fletch and place points that makes them expensive. Makes aluminum a bargin if time is to be considered.

Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool !!

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target".

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

663 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1973cb450, 65 invisible), 2,967 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,263
Posts18,467,148
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.