-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I just bought this rifle, it is a Herter's bolt action push feed in 7mm mag. The scope, ring and the recoil pad has Herter's name on them. What do you guys know about this rifle?

Do you know who maid the action? It looks like a Sako with the dove tail slots for Sako bases. It is stamped "Maid in England"

http://2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/showthread.php?t=304597

Tracy

It is not about what you kill, it is about the hunt....
GB1

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Look up BSA.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
As I recall those Herter's U9 rifles were BSA made. Should have the Birmingham Small Arms markings on the action...jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Yes, the Herter's U9 were made by BSA. I have the same gun in 300 win mag for sale now. Monster solid action.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
If I recall correctly ( probably not, it has been a while since I was a Herter's compulsive ) the "Old" Jaques Herter sr. Professional Guide Quality Bolt Action Rifles (pre-dating the 7mm Mag & maybe the .300) were advertised as a genuine Mauser Action, & carried a mark something designation, of course that didn't eleminate BSA and quite a few other makers. All strong or George Herter wouldn't have said that"professional Guide Quality" stuff, he never lied to me or exagerated anything. Sounds like you are dealing with a "new" Herter's", but probably still better than Ram Tough.
MC

marty
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
U9 action was BSA, J9 was the Mauser. A b-i-l has one of each, and both have the lightning-bolt spacers cool

George L. Herter lives on forever.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I always wanted to order his book "How to Live with a Bitch." Pretty sure I would have learned something useful.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Years and years ago, when I was in my teens, I had a J9 in 7x57 and my father had a U9 in 7mmRemMag. We ordered them at the same time w/ unfinished stocks. We had a great time together finishing and bedding the stocks. Both rifles were good quality and shot very well. As I remember, the U9 my dad had was CRF, as, of course, was my J9.

I have seen quite a few BSA's here in Canada, and the older ones are CRF, but some of their later guns were push feeds. I don't know if the later Herter's U9's used the BSA push feed design, but according to the OP it seems that that was the case.

I wish I still had that 7x57. Sadly, both guns are long gone, as is my father, who was the best hunting, fishing, and golfing buddy a guy could ever hope for.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
I always wanted to order his book "How to Live with a Bitch." Pretty sure I would have learned something useful.

George L. Herter lives on forever.

I have a complete set of all of George (and Jacques) Herter's books, including "How to Live with a Bitch". They are all a good read, especially the Guide manuals and Bull Cookbooks, and yes, George will live forever. My grandfather was a huge fan, and turned me into one at a very early age. We made many a trip to Waseca, MN during their prominent years.

I have two Herter's fishing boats at the lodge in Canada, one a Model Alaska 14', the other a Model Yukon 16'. They have proven to be incredible boats, and get use every year.
Grandpa had a U9 in 25-06 and a Herter's .401 PowerMag revolver, both of which were missing from his farm when he died.

The books, along with a host of other Herter's items, show up frequently on eBay- there's a lot of old faithful collectors out there to this day (including myself) smile

[Linked Image]

Last edited by levrluvr; 10/09/10.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Man this thread brings back the memories. The hours spend sitting up at night looking at those barreled actions and unfinished stocks, trying to figure a way to come up with the money probably had a lot to do with my Jr. High grades. Those old catalogs were the original Sham-Wow commercials! Still have and use a Herters cast bullet sizer and 22 scope.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by John_G
Years and years ago, when I was in my teens, I had a J9 in 7x57 and my father had a U9 in 7mmRemMag. We ordered them at the same time w/ unfinished stocks. We had a great time together finishing and bedding the stocks. Both rifles were good quality and shot very well. As I remember, the U9 my dad had was CRF, as, of course, was my J9.

I have seen quite a few BSA's here in Canada, and the older ones are CRF, but some of their later guns were push feeds. I don't know if the later Herter's U9's used the BSA push feed design, but according to the OP it seems that that was the case.

I wish I still had that 7x57. Sadly, both guns are long gone, as is my father, who was the best hunting, fishing, and golfing buddy a guy could ever hope for.

This rifle is stamped "7 mm" was your dads rifle stamped the same way?

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Tracy,

You rifle being marked Made in England makes it a U9. The U9s were built on BSA monarch actions. The barrels were all Douglas barrels as far as I know. Not all of the actions are identical. I have never seen a U9 with a different bolt or much difference in the action itself, but the bottom metal and triggers and safeties vary. Stocks varied substantially which is not surprising since Herters produced stocks.

I have two currently. Both (a .243 and a .300 WM) are very accurate. The .243 can be very picky about loads with Barnes bullets in particular. The 300 WM likes everything, and is very easy to work up loads for.

To my knowledge, all the U9s were bought as basic actions and mated up with barrels and wood in Waseca. They could be ordered with any grade of walnut or maple Herters carried, and you might find one with some pretty spectacular wood on it. I have seen one with gorgeous fiddle back maple on it, and a couple with very nice walnut.

Last edited by MILES58; 10/10/10.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sorry, Nimrod, it was so long ago that I don't remember.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the info guys. Does anyone know how to tell how old a Herter's rifle is?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (10gaugeman, 21, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 1234, 17CalFan, 53 invisible), 3,341 guests, and 1,125 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,294
Posts18,467,986
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.