Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Yep, it sure did crack didn't it.

Doesn't like bi-pods attached to it. (note to self)

I hope you send those pics to Sako, they need to see them.

GB1

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Yes they do need to see those pics(Sako). If this is just a one in a million flaw, that can be overlooked but should be taken care of for greentimber, but if it is something common, they need to do something about it. greentimber what caliber is your A-7, and what kind of accuracy were you getting before the stock broke? THat sux that you had the problem with the rifle, let us know if Sako makes it right.

HeavyBarrel

" A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government"
G. Washington
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Harris bipods have a decent track record when used on many standard weight sporter rifles up through tactical rifles, but I've never thought it a good idea to use one on a lightweight sporter, especially a 6-pound sporter with a lightweight synthetic stock. A harris bi-pod is not actually light, it is quite heavy for such a rifle w/ a bench swivel model running almost a pound! Sling carry of the rifle on the front swivel stud is one thing, but trying to pull a tight no-pulse USMC sling or placing such a big chunk of weight directly onto a lightweight front swivel stud during recoil is nothing but bad medicine.

Even if such a combo could be made to work afield, it completely destroys the handling of such a light rifle. And if it was being used as a temporary rig for bench work, that's a bad idea as well as it will more than likely ruin any groups from an ultra light rifle. Your mention of having trouble testing a dozen loads is confirmation. My opinion, shoot free-recoil off a sandbag w/ a small bag under the stock toe controlled by your off-hand. A bench pod will do you little good in the field as you'd have trouble elevating your muzzle above grass and underbrush. Instead, if you need a hard hold when shooting long range, learn to shoot off your pack.

Best of luck on the repair. Your lesson learned and pics will underscore my above post and will probably help steer others away from such a combination. For those who insist on such a combination, we would modify stocks to install Wichita swivels for use with tight slings, and we'd modify stocks to install a dedicated reinforced mount for bi-pods. This would hold up to hard field use, but then again, not a good idea on such a light rifle.

Best:)

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That sucks HeavyBarrel!

I mostly shoot my A7(300WSM) from the dirt using Harris bipods and haven't had an issue. 500 rounds or so off the bipod, the rifle doesn't shift POI and it shoots great.

Gary, bipods aren't for everyone but I sure don't mind it on the A7.
Loaded up ready to hunt with a Montana Sling and an 11-25" pivoting Harris I think the rifle weighs right around 8lbs. Not bad at all, of course if I hunted some steep-ass mountains or the woods a guy might not want the bipod but for my use it works very well.

I hunted the other day with the 11-25" on my Kimber 84 and it carried like a dream for roughly 6 miles. Looks goofy on the little rifle but I honestly don't care.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Sam,

Are the A7 rifles made in true short actions in rpunds like the .300WSM or they built on '06 length actions with shorter magazines..?

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Jim, the A7 WSM has a WSM sized action just like the model 85. You can go to about 2.900" workable COL or slighty longer.

After looking at HB's broken stock I'm gonna beef mine up a little just to be safe.

Last edited by SamOlson; 10/12/10.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Sam,

Thanks.

I thought I had heard somewhere that the A7 rifles had two action lengths, but I was not sure.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
HB,
I haven't read many of the previous posts but can only say you should expect excellent accuracy. I've got a couple and they are easy to hand load for, have an easy trigger to adjust & certainly rate as a lightweight mountain rifle. I put Talley LW's on mine.
They are an upgraded Tikka T3 in my opinion.
Good luck

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by GaryVA
Harris bipods have a decent track record when used on many standard weight sporter rifles up through tactical rifles, but I've never thought it a good idea to use one on a lightweight sporter, especially a 6-pound sporter with a lightweight synthetic stock. A harris bi-pod is not actually light, it is quite heavy for such a rifle w/ a bench swivel model running almost a pound! Sling carry of the rifle on the front swivel stud is one thing, but trying to pull a tight no-pulse USMC sling or placing such a big chunk of weight directly onto a lightweight front swivel stud during recoil is nothing but bad medicine.

Even if such a combo could be made to work afield, it completely destroys the handling of such a light rifle. And if it was being used as a temporary rig for bench work, that's a bad idea as well as it will more than likely ruin any groups from an ultra light rifle. Your mention of having trouble testing a dozen loads is confirmation. My opinion, shoot free-recoil off a sandbag w/ a small bag under the stock toe controlled by your off-hand. A bench pod will do you little good in the field as you'd have trouble elevating your muzzle above grass and underbrush. Instead, if you need a hard hold when shooting long range, learn to shoot off your pack.

Best of luck on the repair. Your lesson learned and pics will underscore my above post and will probably help steer others away from such a combination. For those who insist on such a combination, we would modify stocks to install Wichita swivels for use with tight slings, and we'd modify stocks to install a dedicated reinforced mount for bi-pods. This would hold up to hard field use, but then again, not a good idea on such a light rifle.

The idea that we shouldn't be able to use a bipod on an $800 hunting rifle is just absurd. I can't even count the hundreds of rounds I've fired from various Remingtons - including sporters, Mtn Rifles, and an Old-Style Titanium (5lbs 3oz) with this exact same bipod and either a factory tupperware stock or a McMillan. I also expect and achieve sub-MOA performance from them while wearing the bipod and have never seen a single instance of a bipod noticeably degrading accuracy.

The only lesson to be learned from this is that the stock on the A7 is a POS. Otherwise, I like the rifle. Good trigger, love the mag retention feature, love the bolt-lock safety, love the large bolt knob, and the action is fairly smooth. The ball is in Sako's court and they will determine whether or not I keep the rifle and continue to be a Sako owner.

Excuses don't cut it.

One more thing.... You certainly don't have enough information to tell me how I need to learn to shoot.

Last edited by greentimber; 10/12/10.

RLTW
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There is no reason to get torqued. You could put a two pound tactical scope on that little 6-pound rifle and be happy, but if it were open to discussion within a thread, I'd offer an opinion that it would ruin the balance. Same with the pod, you could stick one of those things on the same little rifle and be very happy, but if it were open to discussion within a thread, I'd offer an opinion that not only would it ruin balance, but you may damage the mount on the light synthetic stock and you may kick accuracy to the curb.

In this thread, your post and your picture underscore my opinion on this issue. I'd always recommend a reinforced dedicated mount on such a light synthetic stock, as this recommendation is well founded. The recommendation of learning to shoot from the pack was a general opinion and was not directed to challenge your personal skills. I was just offering a different option for one who was using a bench model pod on an ultra light rifle in the field as a means for holding hard on long prone shots.

Don't take it personal, It's just an opinion. My two cents on the subject was pretty well grounded and pretty much spot on when you look at your broken stock. Your synthetic A7 front swivel mount would most definitely be POS if it were used like that on an M40 or M24. But for an ultra-light synthetic stock with the front swivel designed to be used for a carry sling, it is not POS, and is in fact very light, well balanced, and strong for its intended purpose. I'd just be very cautious on the technique used with a heavy pod on that A7 cause I don't think you could add too much English on that forend during recoil without pulling something loose. If that were your intent, I'd look at shoring things up.

Last edited by GaryVA; 10/13/10.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You're dead on correct, bi-pods aren't for everyone, but they can be made to work well and all that really matters is that it works well for you. You may want to give it a good look over and maybe shore it up a bit if you're pushing or pulling on the forend stud too much. I'd be cautious on any shooter added torque on that forend stud. Lean in to it too hard with the feet getting a good bite, you'd have the rifle jerking pretty hard on that stud mount upon firing. Just look how his pulled away in the pic.

A great Marine was killed a while back on a vacation elk hunt when his factory sporter front swivel mount broke. He humped that rifle slung muzzle up over his shoulder all over creation without a hitch. On this trip he made a simple short jump, and the quick jerk of his landing broke the forend stud out of the stock and the rifle fell away from his shoulder straight down to the ground. It discharged when the butt hit, killing him. Those factory forend studs on light sporting rifles are not designed to withstand great deals of pressure from a jerking force. They're designed to hold the static weight of your slung rifle. The forend of a lightweight synthetic stock like the A7 is not going to hold up too well with repeated hard jerking yanks on the stud.

As to accuracy, that specific stock has a rib that runs against the barrel ahead of the receiver. You can take your fingers and push that forend back and forth. If you pulled hard on a sling and/or pushed hard against a bipod, you could easily load up the forend and have that rib smacking the barrel when the rifle recoils.

Last edited by GaryVA; 10/13/10.

- Clint Eastwood
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Gary, if I had not had great success with a bipod (and in some cases a 2lb tactical scope) on my other-brand ultralights I'd agree with you. Hopefully I can convince the good folks at McMillan to inlet an EDGE for this thing.

:-)

RLTW
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Shouldotta be able to get a preorder list ifn that would help encourage Mcmillan to give the mold a try.
By the pictures the sako 85 would be close on the topside.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I would be in on that list....

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Me to! Does anyone know where i can get Talley Light weight integral ring/bases? Looked on Midway and could not find them.

Thanks
HeavyBarrel

" A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government"
G. Washington
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Call Talley on the telephone or order through Rick.
FWIW, the A7 uses the same lightweights as a Browning A-Bolt.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Thanks for the information SamOlson, but I could not wait, I just had to put a few rounds through her yesterday evening. Man was I impressed! Will start a new post on range outcome.

HeavyBarrel

G. Washington
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by greentimber
The stock is a complete POS. Mine broke 2nd trip to the range. A replacement (if the gun is out of warranty when the stock breaks) is over $450.

Old thread but I'm curious Greentimber, how did Beretta handle the situation?

And didn't one of you guys get an Edge for an A7?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

98 members (6mmCreedmoor, Akpilot, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 13 invisible), 1,613 guests, and 833 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,516
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.