24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Anyone running these? Are they a good way to go?

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
BP-B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I used them for the first time this year on an archery mule deer hunt. Boned out my deer and fit the meat easily in 2 bags. I really like them. Used them again for my bear and again, they worked great. I bought 4 of them. I think I'll pick up another 2 just to be safe for an elk hunt. They clean up easily, are super lite and pack tiny. A little pricey but good equipment usually is!

Last edited by BigWave; 10/16/10.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
They're made for boned-out meat, so if that's what you do, they're good. Not big enough to put quarters in or anything like that. They're kind of long and narrow, built to put in or on a pack. Very lightweight, silnylon. Not waterproof though.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by smokepole
They're made for boned-out meat, so if that's what you do, they're good. Very lightweight, silnylon. Not waterproof though.

Yep, I forgot to mention that. These wouldnt work for quarters.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Plannin on boning out. Are they breathable? Looks like you could hang them, but would it cool the meat at all?

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
IC B2

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
If its cool out then yes. This is not a substitute for game bags imo. It doesnt breathe, trapping moisture inside. They are good for transporting meat in/on a pack but should be swapped out for a game bag that will allow the meat surface to dry.

If you are close to your vehicle and conditions are right then perhaps you could leave the game bags at home or at the truck.

Last edited by Fishkilla; 10/16/10.

Ahh, nice marmot
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
What he said. I keep some in my pack to transport meat, but I wouldn't hang the meat in 'em for any length of time.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I hear good things about these, have not tried them.

http://www.pristineventures.com/products/game-bags.html

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Run the meat into the mesh game bags... hang to cool... drop in Kifaru meat bags to prevent getting the pack nasty inside.... assuming you bone as noted.

For bone in I still use the big canvas bags.... but they ain't light...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have used Kifaru meat bags on two different hunts (neither were my bags as I don't own any....yet). The bags are super light and tough and fit in your pack nicely with boned out meat. That said if you are hoping the the silnylon will keep your pack blood free I have found that you will be sorely mistaken. The bags saturate with blood readily so the only real way to prevent your pack from getting bloody if by placing these meat bags inside trash compactor bags. This works like a champ. So I will use the meat bags in conjunction with trash compactor bags as this setup seems to work pretty well for my uses.

IC B3

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
I have used Kifaru meat bags on two different hunts (neither were my bags as I don't own any....yet). The bags are super light and tough and fit in your pack nicely with boned out meat. That said if you are hoping the the silnylon will keep your pack blood free I have found that you will be sorely mistaken. The bags saturate with blood readily so the only real way to prevent your pack from getting bloody if by placing these meat bags inside trash compactor bags. This works like a champ. So I will use the meat bags in conjunction with trash compactor bags as this setup seems to work pretty well for my uses.

Your pack will get bloody with just the meat baggies. This year I found a lighter, more compact but more expensive alternative to the trash compactor bags - a Sea to Summit 65L eVent Roll-Top Pack Liner. Works great to keep the pack blood free and has a good handle when rolled that along with a D-Ring give a good place to attach a cord for dropping it in the water to cool or hanging if necessary.

Ed T

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I took two caribou-size TAG bags on my sheep hunt. They let meat breathe very well in my opinion. I have no experience with kifaru bags. If they don't breathe, I don't plan to buy them. The TAG bags are a bit larger than needed, but they work very well and the material is light enough that you're not carrying too much extra.

Good tip on the drybag. My contractor bag liner was a bit leaky.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I must not have had bloody meat... Dunno.. the 2 times I"ve used them, the pack was fine.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They do make your pack bloody so I stopped using them other than I carry them when hiking in so I can store boned out meat in them to hang. I use what Ed T. uses just not the Event bag which I now need to check out.

Last edited by Pete_E; 10/18/10.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In my experience, If you place the opening of the Kifaru bag "up", it minimizes blood leaking out in the pack. I normally strap it to the outside of compressed pack via cargo chair, so its really no issue. I'm very happy with mine.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SpenceG
In my experience, If you place the opening of the Kifaru bag "up", it minimizes blood leaking out in the pack. I normally strap it to the outside of compressed pack via cargo chair, so its really no issue. I'm very happy with mine.

Wow man you pack all the meat the furthest away from your body you can get. For me the closer to my back with the heavy meat bags the better. But if the works for ya or just going a short distance without camp to carry on your back also could work. Just thought it was interesting.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use Walmart waterproof bags that I bought for canoe trips, then transfer the meat out when I get to the car. They're large and orange, and water proof, and clean out well with cold soapy water, and fit inside my regular pack (Kifaru MMR or Long Hunter Guide)

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
alaska,
I wasnt clear. A compressed pack to me, has nearly everything removed so the meat is close to my back, but still technically on the outside of the pack.
Spence

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
680 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 219DW, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 80 invisible), 2,911 guests, and 1,416 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,670
Posts18,399,478
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.