Print Thread
Hop To
F
Foxtrot Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
OK, thinking about going with a stove in my latest shelter. What length stove pipe should a guy use for a GoLite Shangra La 5? How far past the peak would be best? Anyone have pics of where you located yours?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
don't know about optimal length, but there are some directions and install pictures here:
http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/FreeResources/SL4StoveJackInstall/tabid/759/Default.aspx
[Linked Image]

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I would guess there is an optimal draw for a specific stove, but with these stoves that is unlikely to be much of a factor. The rest is personal, just allow enough room and handle sparks very well or else you will have pin holes in you tent. With most stoves, a pipe that extends a foot above the tent should be sufficient. Also, factor in if you are going to use it in multiple tents. The stove pipe is light about 3 ounces per foot for SS.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
C
CCH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Get the McMasters shim, you'll need the 12" x 100" size. You can cut it to whatever length seems best to you. I'd want at least a foot and probably more like 18" to 24" above the peak of the tent just to keep cinders as far as possible from the tent. No idea if that is optimum for draw though.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I've been pondering the exact same question. I have the pipe, but was thinking it would be nice to save enough of the sheet shim for a cylinder stove if I ever get around to that. Not sure that's really possible though.

HardcoreHunter posted some good pics a while back.

Another poster - forget the name - posted some very good pics of a cylinder stove. I seem to recall that he cut a 100" sheet shim to 57" for the pipe and 43" for a stove body, but 57" doesn't seem near long enough.

My Kifaru small is about 11" high, and my SL4 is IIRC 72" at the peak. So I'm thinking that a 66" stovepipe will give me 5-6" clearance over the peak of my shelter, and any shelter in the future that's likely to use a 3" pipe. That will leave me 34". Allowing for 3" of overlap, a future cylinder stove could be up to 9.8 diameter.

John

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
CCH makes a good point, may be nothing wrong with going 18" above the peak, just reduces the chance of holes.

C
CCH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I'm going to be using an 84" for my SL-4 because that's what I have for my SL-6. A good point was made earlier about being able to use it for multiple tents. I'm using a 50" for my Supertarp.

For what the pipe weighs, I'd rather have the clearance, but again, I'm not sure if that's good, bad or indifferent as to performance. The pipe provides much of the heat in the tent, so does having more surface area exposed to the cold outside the tent reduce efficiency? Does it help or hinder draw? I know there are some experts out there who can answer.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Generally the longer a wood stove pipe is in a house means better draw, especially as the pipe is made thinner. I suspect, it is more important when a stove is more air tight. Ed T would be the one in the know

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
The important factor is to be above the peak of the tent. The higher you go the less chance of sparks and the better the draw.

A longer pipe can help to compensate for a marginal diameter of pipe but only slightly.

The problem with going too high is you create a lot of wind surface area.

I started with a 100" pipe on my Kifaru Sawtooth, because I haden't had time to cut it down. It was fine but way more than I needed. I have since cut it down to 80".

As far as being too long reducing the effciency do to cold exposure, I don't think thats an issue. If the stove is cranking if is glowing red for a good ways aboue the stove top, any temperature difference would be too slight to feel IMO.

Ed T

C
CCH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Excellent info as always Ed. How are you liking the Sawtooth?

IC B3

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Chris,

Its an awesome shelter. More usable room than a 4 man, not much more weight than a ParaTipi.

I'll be trying out one of Tim's Alpine Extreme tents on a hunt this week. It's pretty sweet as well.

Ed T

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by JRaw

Another poster - forget the name - posted some very good pics of a cylinder stove. I seem to recall that he cut a 100" sheet shim to 57" for the pipe and 43" for a stove body, but 57" doesn't seem near long enough.

That was me in this thread. I'm using a 100" pipe though to clear the top of my tarp which has a peak of 8'. In the parts list you do end up with 57" of material that could be used. A 100" length would likely make a stove and pipe for a 7" diameter body. 7" body would require about 26" of material leaving 74" for the pipe.

--thumper338

Last edited by thumper338; 10/12/10.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

How about a 7 footer on top of a medium stove by Ed T.

[Linked Image]

My first pancake on the new stove:
[Linked Image]

Brother's better pancake attempt!:
[Linked Image]

Melting tasty snow:
[Linked Image]

Brother:
[Linked Image]

Conrad101st
1/503 Inf., 2nd ID (90-91)
3/327 Inf., 101st ABN (91-92)
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
EdT: Have any pictures of your Sawtooth in action? I'm intruiged by this shelter.

Seems to be a great 2 man w/stove AND gear option. Many others that advertise that run short on space for the gear (SL3, 4man, etc)

F
Foxtrot Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Great info. I have received my stove and pipe, now to figure out which panel to install it in. For those that have the SL5 tipi, which panel did you put yours in and how is the location working out?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 66 invisible), 2,520 guests, and 1,130 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,315
Posts18,468,381
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.