CLICK HERE FOR THE BRIGHTEST DEAL OF THE SEASON ON LEICA and SUREFIRE!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#4509540 - 10/17/10 09:50 AM J-B weld bedding a ruger hawkeye synthetic stock (pictures)
bsa1917hunter Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Loc: Orygun
Hi guys, I was inspired by VAnimrods post on JB weld bedding his rifle that I wanted to try it. Take a look at the pictures and process. I don't think this has been posted on the new hawkeye synthetic stocks yet. BSA.
Here's the victim, Ruger hawkeye all weather 308:

As you can see it is hollow under the chamber area, so this had to be fixed!!

I found this to be a good solution, (1"x3/4" block of green plastic):

Now I've got a starting place for a good foundation under the chamber to support the barrel when I freefloat it.
Time to put the JB in.

I put some leftover release agent from my last bedding job + some one shot on the action where the bedding compound is. I've got blue tape on the stock too. Now I set the action in the stock and let it dry over night.

This morning I seperate the action from the stock. Here's some tools for the job.

I like to set the rifle in my lap while sitting down in a chair with the action screw side up. I put a towell on the barrel and give a firm whack with the plastic coated hammer. It comes out very easy (what a relief!!).
Now you can see, I've got the foundation I wanted and it should be pretty strong with all that JB in there. Now I rough up the JB and get ready to apply the last coat.

Looking pretty good so far. It's curing now and I'll pull it apart in about 12 hours from when I set the action in (7:00 p.m).

When everything is cured (24 hours) I'll start freefloating the barrel. I'll post pictures of the finished product for those of you who are interested in giving the JB weld bedding job a try. So far, I am very happy with the results. BSA.

BSA

CI16728
#4509888 - 10/17/10 12:55 PM Re: J-B weld bedding a ruger hawkeye synthetic stock (pictures) [Re: bsa1917hunter]
GrizzlyBear Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: NC
Thanks for the pics. So why are you applying two coats instead of just one layer of JB Weld?

Also why not free float at the same time?

No criticism intended. Just fixing to tear into my rifles this winter so consider this 'research'.

#4509956 - 10/17/10 01:24 PM Re: J-B weld bedding a ruger hawkeye synthetic stock (pictures) [Re: GrizzlyBear]
Pete E Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Loc: North Wales, UK
Originally Posted By: GrizzlyBear
So why are you applying two coats instead of just one layer of JB Weld?

Not sure of the motivation for the original poster, but as it sets, epoxy shrinks in proportion to the amount used. Some epoxies shrink more than others of course, but regardless the rule of the thumb is that the more that is used, the more it shrinks.

Therefore by applying the "bulk" of the epoxy first, and letting it cure, you let the vast majority of a shrinkage occur...The second "skim coat" will then show virtually no shrinkage..

Bedding epoxies are designed to be low shrinkage anyway, but I'm not sure about J-B Weld, so this two stage approach would seem a good idea.

Edited by Pete E (10/17/10 01:25 PM)

Men of Harlech

#4510256 - 10/17/10 03:35 PM Re: J-B weld bedding a ruger hawkeye synthetic stock (pictures) [Re: Pete E]
bsa1917hunter Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Originally Posted By: Pete E
Originally Posted By: GrizzlyBear
So why are you applying two coats instead of just one layer of JB Weld?

Not sure of the motivation for the original poster, but as it sets, epoxy shrinks in proportion to the amount used. Some epoxies shrink more than others of course, but regardless the rule of the thumb is that the more that is used, the more it shrinks.

Therefore by applying the "bulk" of the epoxy first, and letting it cure, you let the vast majority of a shrinkage occur...The second "skim coat" will then show virtually no shrinkage..

Bedding epoxies are designed to be low shrinkage anyway, but I'm not sure about J-B Weld, so this two stage approach would seem a good idea.

Great explanation Pete E, that was part of the approach idea. I left out the fact that I also JB welded the green plastic in before adding the first batch of JB weld. See picture below:

This second picture shows the foundation formed by the first application of JB weld.The release agent worked like a champ. Should of posted this picture with the rest when I started this thread. Sorry.

One of the reasons for doing different stages is because JB is pretty runny and I wanted to establish a good foundation and make sure my block was tall enough (which it was). My second application is curing right now and will soon be hard enough to seperate the action from the stock. After everything has cured for 24 hours it will be ridgid enough that I will feel comfortable relieving it a little around the forend tip and down the barrel channel. This stock is hollow underneath the barrel, otherwise I would of freefloated it while bedding (normal operation for me when bedding a wood stock). Hope this helps. BSA.

BSA

#4511049 - 10/17/10 08:07 PM Re: J-B weld bedding a ruger hawkeye synthetic stock (pictures) [Re: bsa1917hunter]
emmagee Offline

What would we ever do without JB Weld......good stuff!

#4511207 - 10/17/10 09:14 PM Re: J-B weld bedding a ruger hawkeye synthetic stock (pictures) [Re: emmagee]
bsa1917hunter Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Check this out guys. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I freefloated the barrel too. By the time I shoot it next weekend it should be totally cured and stronger than the hubs of hell. Here are some more pictures so you guys can see what my intentions were from the start. Hope you like it. By the way, the One shot worked better than I had imagined: I don't think I'll use it for sizing lube, but save it for future bedding jobs. BSA.

What do you guys think? BSA.

BSA

#4511229 - 10/17/10 09:32 PM Re: J-B weld bedding a ruger hawkeye synthetic stock (pictures) [Re: bsa1917hunter]
Rubmaster Offline

Loc: NE Ohio
I assume you're using the One Shot as your release agent?

#4511239 - 10/17/10 09:39 PM Re: J-B weld bedding a ruger hawkeye synthetic stock (pictures) [Re: Rubmaster]
bsa1917hunter Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Yep rubmaster. It worked very well.

BSA

#4514106 - 10/18/10 09:50 PM Re: J-B weld bedding a ruger hawkeye synthetic stock (pictures) [Re: bsa1917hunter]
bsa1917hunter Offline
Campfire Kahuna

As you can see, the barrel had no support under the chamber. It was supported at the forend tip and at the flimsy recoil lug area. Now with the proper support it is relieved at the forend tip and allowed to freefloat. Accuracy should be greatly improved by using this method. What do you guys think?

BSA

#4515357 - 10/19/10 12:07 PM Re: J-B weld bedding a ruger hawkeye synthetic stock (pictures) [Re: bsa1917hunter]
Tejano Offline
Campfire Ranger

Loc: Out Yonder
Wish all mine came out that well.

Looks good, should improve accuracy and consistency. One thing I have done is to add graphite powder to the last skim coat to make it match the stock better. I am not sure how much this weakens the epoxy. That and a little black dye from an accra glass kit usually is a good match.

On yours very little will show and a lick or two with a black sharpie will hide it even if not fine gunsmithing.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  RickBin, SYSOP 
CLICK HERE for GREAT DEALS on STEINER OPTICS at CAMERA LAND!
Support Our Sponsors 1
Who's Online
120 registered (35, 222Sako, 01Foreman400, 257_X_50, 21 invisible), 661 Guests and 311 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Support Our Sponsors 2
Forum Stats
51092 Members
72 Forums
647466 Topics
9303716 Posts

Max Online: 4366 @ 10/05/10 09:36 AM
Support Our Sponsors 3

Copyright © 2000-2015 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.