-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The heavy duplex reticle in my Leupold 2-7 shotgun scope is identical to the one in your first picture.
I personally don't like the other one at all.

"A world without string is chaos."
Lars Smuntz

[Linked Image]
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by mathman
How is the closer midsection messing up the low light goodness of the reticle for you?
It's not, I just don't care for having that heavy portion come all the way in to the center. It covers up a LOT at low power settings. I'm almost wondering what's the point of even putting the 'plex' portion in that scope if you're going to have the heavy posts come in that far?

I really like what I've had for years (1.5-5x picture), and have had that HD sight picture across mulitple Leup model scopes. And that's what was advertised as what I would be getting in the 1.75-6x scope. I would have had no issue if they simply would have shown that particular 1.75-6x HD reticle configuration ahead of time. I wouldn't have ordered it.

Originally Posted by fw707
The heavy duplex reticle in my Leupold 2-7 shotgun scope is identical to the one in your first picture.

As well as my 1-4x shotgun scope. Thanks for the confirmation.

Last edited by BlackFrog; 06/09/10.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
It covers up a LOT at low power settings.

Since I mainly use the regular duplex this tight HD was a big change for me. After a bit of field use I found it didn't cover up anything that mattered at ranges where I'd use the low power setting on this type of scope.

But if you don't like it then you don't like it. Leupold should be explicit about what a scope actually gets.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Eremicus

One of the reasons why the 4a is very popular is because of it's wider, more open thin section. That and the lack of a heavy top post is what many like.

E,

Count me as wishing Leupold would actually provide a 4a reticle. I've got a 4a in a VXII 2-7 but it was done by Premier. Leupold now provides a #4 reticle which is different from the 4a. I had one of the #4 in a VXII 3-9 and sold it. Wish Premier or Leupold would get back to the 4a, I'd send several scopes in for reticle changes!

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have 2 VX-III 1.75-6x32 HD scopes and they have the same reticle as in pic #2. I don't like them nearly as much as a regular HD reticle as found on every other Leupold scope I've seen. I've tried unsuccessfully to describe the differences in previous posts, but I wasn't able to take adequate pictures. I don't know if it's worth the cost and effort have them replaced.

I've even sent several M8 4x scopes back for HD installation and they've all come back with crosshairs as in pic #1, so maybe it's something specific with this model of scope?

"A free people (claim) their rights as derived from the laws of nature, and not as the gift of their chief magistrate."
--Thomas Jefferson, Rights of British America, 1774
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have a VXIII 1.75-6 with the heavy duplex. It is the same as you've shown with basically no "du" to the plex. VERY narrow. I've had several other Leupolds with heavy duplex and the 1.75-6 is the only one I've found like this.

JCM

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I'll just add that when I first started playing with the Heavy Duplex reticle, I didn't care much for it. It seemed to cover too much of a target, and it felt cluttered. Luckly, I kept it and hunted it for a few seasons. What I learned was that they are alot more practical for use in the field than I ever thought they would be. That and, if I use a large enough aiming spot, I can shoot just as small a group with one as I can with a finer reticle. E

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Eremicus
That and, if I use a large enough aiming spot, I can shoot just as small a group with one as I can with a finer reticle. E
at what range?

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Dang, I like the newer style. If the fixed 4x was a bit longer and I could get the newer style in it, I'd be all over it.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I've got a VariXIII 1.75x6x32 that's about 8 years with the heavy duplex and it's the same as the second picture. I don't care for it much. I get everything I can with a #4 or 4a reticle nowadays if I can. The #4 is a better reticle than either of the depictions of the heavy duplex in my opinion.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I was told by Leup tech service that the heavy duplex that's used in a 1.5X5 can be installed in the 1.75X6.

Why it is different in the first place, is beyond me.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Although he's by no means looking for work after many many years still Wally Seibert continues to offer reticle changes and other services on Leupolds among other brands he continues to service.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Here's the Leupold Cust Service response to my question of why the different HD reticles:

It's because of the range estimation feature that most of the VX3 scopes have. The yardage markings on the power selector ring have to correlate correctly with the spacing of the posts on the duplex reticle.

The 1.5X5 doesn't have the range estimation feature, and the 1.75X6 does. But if the range estimation feature isn't something you are using, we can put the 1.5X5 duplex it the scope for you. There is a charge though of $59.99 which includes your return shipping and handling.

Last edited by BlackFrog; 06/11/10.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Range estimation??? Was that in the instructions I should be reading?

"A free people (claim) their rights as derived from the laws of nature, and not as the gift of their chief magistrate."
--Thomas Jefferson, Rights of British America, 1774
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
John Schaefer (Father Frog) gave us a solution to using heavy plex at the bench. Use the 90 degree angle of the horizontal and vertical cross hair as your aiming point.

NRA: Benefactor
There's never time to do it right,
but there's always time to do it over!!
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Doesn't seem to matter. Just use something you can see clearly. I've shot them at both 100 and 300 yds. repeatdly. E

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by scoutman
John Schaefer (Father Frog) gave us a solution to using heavy plex at the bench. Use the 90 degree angle of the horizontal and vertical cross hair as your aiming point.

Or you can just use a target that fits the reticle. Leupold has one that has four large black squares evenly spaced and works great for 100/200 yards. You just place the crosshairs so it's between the squares. I have shot many 1/2 moa groups with the leupold target and a HD reticle at 100 and 200 yards.

Sean
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ClarkEMyers
Although he's by no means looking for work after many many years still Wally Seibert continues to offer reticle changes and other services on Leupolds among other brands he continues to service.

I'm up for a history lesson. Who is Wally and what does his company do?

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
It really is mostly history see e.g.:
Interview with Wally Siebert, Gun Digest Book of Scopes and Mounts by Bob Bell (1983)

Wally Siebert did some interesting custom work converting high-powered rifle scopes to long eye relief by changing internal lenses. Power loss was about 50 percent and appearance was unchanged. His custom scopes were what I used in the early accuracy testing of the JD cartridges in the Contenders. I think he was a great part of the manufacturer's education in those days.
J.D. Jones in American Handgunner.

I have a Leupold Mk4 scope on this rifle boosted to 20x by Wally Siebert. The clicks in this scope are exactly 1/4 MOA, meaning that each click is worth .262" at 100 yards. I used this click value in my computer calculations, giving me a very accurate drop chart on out to 2000 yards.
Chuck Hunting with the 50 BMG By Daniel Lilja

But the real practical breakthrough came in 1971, when Wally Siebert of Issaquah, Washington, began offering such conversions commercially. Also that same year, Lyman brought out their nifty little twentypower All-American scope, weighing less than fifteen ounces. All the pieces finally fit together.
Stuart Otteson in Rifle magazine writing about making weight in bench rest - Mr. Siebert offered hefty power boosts and other changes in lighter smaller scopes than the then common external adjustment Unertl and Super Target Spot and such. For many years Mr. Siebert was also effectively a custom work department for at least one major brand - not necessarily credited but never ignored.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Anybody have this scope with this reticle and likes it?
Black Bart has this scope for sale in the classified section
and I was debating about selling some stuff to buy it for my
Ruger 77 RSI 7mm-08 or just keep the Nikon Prostaff 2-7x32 shotgun scope that is on it now? Would the Leupold with this reticle best THAT much better than the Prostaff?(The Prostaff is brand new)
AMRA

Molan Labe
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

355 members (10gaugemag, 260Remguy, 17CalFan, 264mag, 270winchester, 10gaugeman, 28 invisible), 2,492 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,430
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.