Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Barkoff Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
What or is there any reason to go with the CCI .22 Short CB, over the LR? It looks as if they have the same performance.

Looking for some suburb covert pest control to use in my .22 bolt.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good question. I've only used the CB Longs and have no complaints but I guess there's a reason they make the shorts.

The longs are quieter than my spring loaded pellet gun was and it was rated at the lowest decibel rating of all I looked at. I live in town and have never had a neighbor comment on the noise and I've got one that would.

They're more than squirrel head accurate in my rifle out to 25 yards and have plenty of killing power at that range. They'll also cycle through a 77-22 or a 39A.

The only drawback I can think of with CBs in town is that a miss will travel a ways so I make sure I've got an adequate backstop of some sort.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Barkoff
What or is there any reason to go with the CCI .22 Short CB, over the LR? It looks as if they have the same performance.

Looking for some suburb covert pest control to use in my .22 bolt.

Aguila Colibri and Super Colibri work very well in the above situation.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
+1 on the Aguila Super Colibri! Suppressors aren't allowed in the lovely state I live in and the Super Colibris are a dream to shoot if quietness is what your strive. BEWARE of the normal Colibris in rifles because I had a few get stuck in my rifle barrel. I was told those are for pistols not rifles. Anyways, the Super Colibris are the way to go. They sound about the same and a typical spring-piston airgun.

I'm Libertarian for these 3 reasons:

1.) I'm American
2.) I'm not insane enough to be Democrat
3.) I'm not wussy enough to be Republican

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
CB longs will shoot better in a LR chamber but they won't fit in a gun chambered for shorts. Never heard anyone claim exceptional accuracy with the longs, but they do well enough from what I hear. CB Shorts in a short chamber can be amazingly accurate.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
CB shorts are accurate enough in one of my rifles, to consistantly head-pop varmints in the backyard. And quiet enough to cause little notice. Especially when carefully fired from inside through an open window, muzzle well back from the opening.

Been using CCI CB 22 shorts for years. At a tad over 700FPS, just about right for my uses.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
From my 63 Winchester CB's are quieter that my Crossman pellet rifle. I nailed a squirrel last Saturday that was on my bird feeder and my neighbor who was grilling steaks didn't even look up.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I've used both for controlling pest problems in the back yard probably max of 30 yards. I liked the longs a little better because I could manually cycle them through my semi-autos with no problems.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
CB shorts @ 50 yards, bag rest.

[Linked Image]

The perpetrator w/ short chamber

[Linked Image]

Last edited by DigitalDan; 10/13/10.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've found the CB short version to be more accurate than the long version in every .22 I own, and that's a Stevens 44 1/2 match rifle, Marlin 881, Remington 581, and a Remington 572 (which I sold) Haven't tried either in the two Cricketts my daughters shoot.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I have experienced better accuracy with the CB Longs than the Shorts. I have shot them in two Contender carbines with Match barrels, a Savage Model 73 (Crackshot 22 replica) and my Marlin Mountie.
My Colt Diamondback doesn't care for either of the flavors.
The report sounds the same to me. (I have to admit I haven't sent my ears in for calibration, though. :))

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

O
O
I just bought some CCI CB shorts and the box is marked "subsonic". I had cap guns as a kid that were louder. They're just perfect for my annual "squirrel holacost" to thin them out. Before I started plinking them I'd sometimes have six or more in the backyard at one time.

Barkoff Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
CCI is getting confusing, the have the CB short, CB Long, and the Subsonic. Seems the subsonic and the CB Longs have the same fps. Must be a different bullet.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I've been shooting small varmints for many years with CB Longs... everything from 'coons to chipmunks, but you need to be careful about what's behind the target since the CB Longs shoot THROUGH most of the varmints.

I've never found the CB Longs to be all that accurate... they're just "so-so" accuracy-wise in my humble opinion, but then, that's out of a single-shot Stevens 15Y "cheapie" rifle.

They may do better in a better quality rifle, but I won't shoot them in my better rifles because the CB Long is not as long as a .22 long rifle cartridge. As a result, the CB Long (and CB Short as well) tend to cause a build-up of lead at the mouth of the chamber because they aren't long enough to fit UP into the chamber's mouth. As a result, when they're fired, they wobble up the chamber's mouth and engage the rifling, but sometimes slam into the edge of the mouth of the chamber.

As a result, they tend to "deposit" the edges of the bullet against the mouth of the chamber which eventually results in a build-up of lead which eventually obstructs chambering a long rifle cartridge in that rifle until you take a wire-brush and clean out the built-up lead at the chamber's mouth.

It's no "biggie" to dig out that lead, but it must be done if you wish to shoot long rifle cartridges in the same rifle in which you shoot the CB caps... either Longs or Shorts. Naturally, how fast that "build-up" occurs depends on how much shooting you do with the CB caps... and mine has built-up a couple of times over the 20 or 30 years I've been using the CB caps.

The CB Longs report is pretty quiet... about like a Crossman pellet rifle. Just make sure of what's beyond your target. smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

Barkoff Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Well I was able to find the CB shorts and some LR Sub-sonics, hands down the CB Shorts are quieter that the SubSonics. I'll have to find some CB LR next. Took some shots across the yard, (only about ten yards) quarter size group..that'll do.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The CB Longs and CB shorts from CCI should both be using 29 grain bullets at about 700 fps (in the CCI rifle test barrel). Subsonics should be using a 40 grain bullets at 1050 fps.

Heck, Google revealed this:

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/products.aspx

Personally, I dig the CB Longs, as the shorts don't offer anything as far as "quiet" is concerned.

Scott

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Ron:

Kind of argues for me to take a trip down to the emporium for a look through the used rifle rack. Less than $100 will get me a dedicated CB rifle.

Let the gunk build up in front of the case mouth, and maybe that'll take some of the "wobble" out.

Hmmm.

- Tom

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Tom...

GOOD THINKING!!!

That is EXACTLY what I "dedicated" the cheap little Stevens single shot rifle to be... my CB Cap rifle. I did that after I got the lead build-up in one of my better quality .22 rimfire rifles. smile

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley
The CB Longs and CB shorts from CCI should both be using 29 grain bullets at about 700 fps (in the CCI rifle test barrel). Subsonics should be using a 40 grain bullets at 1050 fps.

Thats my understanding also..I believe the CB longs will usually feed better out of a standard box mag, as the shorts tend to pop out before the bullet tip is properly supported/guided by the "feed ramp"...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Pete E
Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley

Thats my understanding also..I believe the CB longs will usually feed better out of a standard box mag, as the shorts tend to pop out before the bullet tip is properly supported/guided by the "feed ramp"...

The shorts even feed decent through my tube-fed Marlin 881. The CCI Subsonic HPs are wicked on small game, they approximate the .22 Short HP in velocity and surpass it in accuracy in my guns. I've quit trying to find the Short HPs for small game hunting and switched to the Subsonic HPs

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (02bfishn, 1lessdog, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 64 invisible), 2,499 guests, and 1,190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,344
Posts18,468,746
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.