Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
83mvp Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I've been putting in for preference points in Wyoming for the last 4 years and want to book with Q Creek in the next year or two for elk. Anybody have any experience with this outfit - good or bad? Thanks for your input.

"Political correctness is tyranny with manners." - Charlton Heston
GB1

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
got max points for non resident Elk...who...where should I pout in next year??? thanks

"To pick a rifle and bullet for use on game by muzzle energy alone is, at best, foolish...and can be dangerous to your own health..." Bill Steigers, April 23, 1980
83mvp Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Beuhler?? Anyone???.....

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I've been running into them off and on since Texan Clayton Williams bought the ranch from Sullivans and started shutting off access to public land. Under his ownership there were lots of threats, harassment, and outright fraud, getting landowner coupons from folks on public land by harassment and lies about what was public land and what was private. The next owner, whose name I no Longer recall, from St. Louis, was easier to get along with, but some of the same male sex organs that had been harassing hunters on public land were still working there, one of them as the outfitter. Since hunters' memories are very long, the owner's proposal to block up land in the checkerboard(every other section private) was stopped. The proposal was to make parcels of land that were mainly public all public, and those mainly private all private. It was actually a good idea, but, when the heat gets put on the elk, from hunters or the cattle gathers just before the rifle season on horses and ATVs, elk run off the public land on the east side of Shirley Mountain onto Pine Hill, to the southeast. There they stand, on land that contains only three private sections, with little acess to them except by Q Ranch hunters. Of course, the ranch wanted to make this all private, despite the lack of private land, since it is their own private honey hole, and the hunters said not only no, but hell no!
The ranch was subsequently sold to Stan Kroenke, owner of the Denver Nuggets and Avalanche, and since he has deep pockets he has been trying to buy all of Shirley Mountain. Except for the public land, he has pretty much succeeded. His attempt to put extremly tall electrified buffalo fences on his mixed-ownership ranch was prevented, and the outfitter has changed. Meantime, the Game and Fish Department cut back on harvest of bulls to let some live longer, and increased harvest of cows to reduce competition for forage, and that has succeeded in producing bigger bulls, but harvest of cows is hampered by a lack of access to the elk, especially on Q Ranch property, and grouping of elk into large herds that hang out in the open. Unfortunately, the various services offering advice to hunters noticed the improvement in quality of bulls, so the odds of drawing a license to hunt a bull went into the commode. But, with 4 preference points, if you apply for the "special" license next year, you have a very good chance of drawing the license. There are some exceptional bulls in the hunt area, and if you're hunting with Q Creek Outfitters you can actually attempt to kill one instead of sitting glassing bulls in herds of several hundred elk to which you have no access, like the rest of us. It will not be a difficult hunt, you can drive to the top of Pine Hill, hunting is typically sidehill or downhill, and elk are bugling like mad nearly every year.
Like the last couple years, your guide, who will likely have told you he has exclusive access, may walk over to try and bluff me and my cow/calf license off public land on Pine Hill next to the Q Ranch at Cottonwood Canyon. I will be the old short guy who isn't moving.

Last edited by DrHJH; 08/03/10.

Living proof that expressing your opinion is not a good career advancement strategy.

There comes a time in a man's life when he has to start cutting and quit straddling fences. Ed Abbey
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I clearly don't understand the situation on the Q as well as the good Doctor smile but basically what he says seems accurate to me.I have been hunting "next door" to the Q since the Sullivans owned it (IIRC back to 79-80),and can remember when that country produced nothing but raghorns.Things have changed and there are some really good bulls in that country now.

Pressure from the Shirleys seems to push elk off the public land,and onto the Q and adjoining ranches.Big bulls "winter" next door where I hunt,but frequently move off and on in October as well. I have sat and glassed 15-20 big bulls,several in the 330-350 range,and have long lost count of the numbers I have seen there.

I would say that if you want a big bull and can draw, the Q is an excellent bet.Wish I had a tag in my jeans last year as I watched 6 big 6x6's parade by.. eek.....I would burn my preference points there if I had them.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B2

83mvp Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks very much for the replies. While I'm not very in tune with the local "politics", I AM looking for a place to burn my preference points and get the best opportunity I can for an out of state hunt. I certainly understand your concerns DrHJH and your points are noted. The hunt will include my dad who is "not getting any younger" and will most likely be the first and last time we are able to hunt together on a hunt of this type due to the locale, cost and his health.

I am most concerned with the hunt being successful for him and the opportunity at a quality bull given the cost of the tag + outfitter cost. I had heard good things about the trophy quality on "the Q" and as we are now getting enough points to possibly draw, I wanted some opinions in that regard.

Again, thanks for the replies and more are welcomed.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
You asked about the Q Ranch, so I told you what I know, more than you wanted to know.
As I said, this should be an excellent, not too physical hunt, with potential to kill an excellent bull. If you've got the bucks, get the license and go with Q Ranch Outfitters. You should have an excellent hunt, and both see and hear a lot of elk.
I stood and watched a 350 class bull 50 yards from me in the open last year, with a cow/calf license in my pocket and no shot at the cows and calves with him. I have no idea how they know which license a hunter has.

Last edited by DrHJH; 08/04/10.

Living proof that expressing your opinion is not a good career advancement strategy.

There comes a time in a man's life when he has to start cutting and quit straddling fences. Ed Abbey
83mvp Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
"I have no idea how they know which license a hunter has."

Isn't that the way it always is??

Thanks again for the follow up DrHJH.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Q Creek can suck my left nut. Nuff said.

83mvp Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by wyoelk

That wasn't what I was looking for actually.

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Uh, you asked for experience with this outfit, you got it.

83mvp Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
"Q Creek can suck my left nut"

UH, THIS is your experience???? I don't know that I'd advertise it.

Real helpful.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
i can tell you a thing or two about q creek.

t

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
These folks have other reasons to dislike the Q. It is very frustrating to hunt public land next a giant ranch that acts as a refuge. The answer to your question is you will have a great easy hunt and leave with a smile on your face. The elk population is doing well and they own over 250,000 acres not counting leased lands. There is no better place in the Shirley mountains to hunt.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by wyoelk

My feelings exactly...

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I would be more inclined to go with the Pathfinder Ranch or for a Wilderness hunt. Wolverine Creek out of Jackson.
I had several run in's with the Q Creek thugs and lounge lizards.
They think they own Wyo.

T$

W
W
We had almost the same things happen to us a few years ago when the ranch was still owner by CW-Jr. dn't think he was into cattle ranching dd you ever meet Steve Steinel, we did along with the game warden.
Jerry wywelderaol.com

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Many, many other reputable outfitters to choose from. Not many, if any ,residents will have anything good to say about Q. Take that for what it's worth. Call their references and makes sure they give you ones from unsuccessful hunters as well.

Max elk PP gets you an awesome hunt on private or public land, the later probably being a little lower cost.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 54 invisible), 2,933 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,354
Posts18,468,882
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.