Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
Originally Posted by jim62
Originally Posted by Bristoe
The Martini was shot at 50 yards.

What size are those orange dots?

They look like 3" shoot-n-see type stickers.

6",..and the Cadet fires a 1" diameter bullet.

Magnumdink,

If I am reading Bristoe's preceeding reply to your version of "help", I think he basically told YOU to piss up a rope.

And BTW , I DID thank VA for "trying" to help...

VA..

I know what diameter bullet the Cadet fires. I have owned and handloaded for 2 origional Cadets in the last 10 years.

I even cast the heeled bullets for them myself.

I was asking Bristoe about the size of the target dots- not the bullets or the bullet holes.

Thanks for your help, though. wink

Last edited by jim62; 10/27/10.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Magnumdood,

If I am reading Bristoe's preceeding post to YOUR version of "help", I think he basically told YOU to piss up a rope.

Hmmm...we read Bristoe's meaning differently; BIG surprise there...not.

And BTW , I DID thank VA for "trying" to help...

Yes you did; I stand corrected.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Magnum..

Look, I know you were trying to help, OK?

My point was it's obvious Bristoe was /is watching this thread.

I don't see the harm in waiting for him to reply. If he doesn't I will simply ask him via PM..

It could be worse-

At least I am not asking "Bigstick" to post more pictures.. laugh

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Thank you for offering the olive branch; I'll gladly accept.

Peace.

Big Stick is the only poster I have on ignore. He doesn't need to impress me; he's impressed enough with himself to account for a stadium full of people who might be impressed with him.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by 35WhelenNut

I just said something sticking up like the Leaning Tower of Pisa is just begging to be damaged. But if you want to disgrace a light, trim little rifle like the one you pictured, you're the one that looks like a fool,not me. In fact, it looks like your rifle is attached to the scope instead of the other way around...

35WN

so the rifle fashon diva doesn't like the little knob that doubles my rifles effective range.

good! laffin'

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by toad

I just said something sticking up like the Leaning Tower of Pisa is just begging to be damaged. But if you want to disgrace a light, trim little rifle like the one you pictured, you're the one that looks like a fool,not me. In fact, it looks like your rifle is attached to the scope instead of the other way around...

35WN

so the rifle fashon diva doesn't like the little knob that doubles my rifles effective range.

good! laffin'

Now THAT'S funny!!!! So you're telling me that if you didn't have those silly knobs on your scope, that your rifle would have half the range it does. Boy oh boy...the scope companies LOVE people like you!! Do you not know how to estimate holdover using duplex crosshairs? Hmmm....
So let's see... during last years elk season, I killed a bull at a lasered 355 yds. with my 35 Whelen. The rifle wears a 4.75x Weaver. That means that if I'd had a scope with turrets like yours, on my rifle, I could've killed the same bull at 710 yards? WOW!! That's amazing!! A scope that makes a rifle more powerful!!
You should PM John Barsness (Mule Deer) and tell him about your revolutionary discovery! I bet he'd love to write an article for one of the major hunting/shooting publications detailing your discovery!!
35WN

"Only accurate rifles are interesting."- Col. Townsend Whelen
"I always tell the truth....that way, I don't have to remember anything."- George Burns
NRA Life Member
Certified NRA Reloading Instructor
Certified Texas Hunter Education Instructor
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by VAnimrod

Your father, I hope, does well on the elk hunt... even if he should have taken matters into his own hands, and wiped them clean of the cull, years ago.

Damn! That's a good line! I wish I had thought of it.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
[quote=toad]

Now THAT'S funny!!!! So you're telling me that if you didn't have those silly knobs on your scope, that your rifle would have half the range it does. Boy oh boy...the scope companies LOVE people like you!! Do you not know how to estimate holdover using duplex crosshairs? Hmmm....
So let's see... during last years elk season, I killed a bull at a lasered 355 yds. with my 35 Whelen. The rifle wears a 4.75x Weaver. That means that if I'd had a scope with turrets like yours, on my rifle, I could've killed the same bull at 710 yards? WOW!! That's amazing!! A scope that makes a rifle more powerful!!
You should PM John Barsness (Mule Deer) and tell him about your revolutionary discovery! I bet he'd love to write an article for one of the major hunting/shooting publications detailing your discovery!!
35WN

hardly my discovery.

your 35 Whelen/250 NPT would make 710 yards with a ~21 moa adjustment to the "silly knob" and would have 1320+ fpe remaining. not like it would bounce off when you can no longer "estimate holdover using duplex crosshairs".

i used the duplex hold-over for years before i stepped up to LRF/turrets. it works to a point but is very crude. removing your "estimate" from the equation is key.

but, hey, if you'd rather use "estimate" instead of precise input so you can have a pretty rifle in the safe, have at it.

WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
let's be fair, if only for a moment ...

The scope system is really not ever going to change the "effective range" of the rifle/cartridge ... it's merely going to allow one to be more accurate at extended ranges by removing "guestimation" and/or "holdovers" and replacing them with accurate reticle adjustments ...

I guess, if you want to play the semantics game, you CAN argue that the scope can "increase the effective range of the rifle system", but I'd rather not muddy the waters by saying that ... I'd rather point out the simple aspect of turrets on a precise, repeatable scope being a better system than using Kentucky Windage ...

-WGM-
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
i'll buy that.

lets substitute "weapons system" for "rifle" in my earlier post if that clears it up.

the optics will not alter trajectory, it can allow you to compensate for it. compensating precisely can allow first round hits to about 2x the distance vs. "estimating holdover".

the .308 has been used on elk past 900 yards, so the limiting factor is very seldom the cartridge.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
hardly my discovery.

your 35 Whelen/250 NPT would make 710 yards with a ~21 moa adjustment to the "silly knob" and would have 1320+ fpe remaining. not like it would bounce off when you can no longer "estimate holdover using duplex crosshairs".

i used the duplex hold-over for years before i stepped up to LRF/turrets. it works to a point but is very crude. removing your "estimate" from the equation is key.

but, hey, if you'd rather use "estimate" instead of precise input so you can have a pretty rifle in the safe, have at it.

There are a few things that beg arguing here:
1) I use a 225 gr. TSX at a measured 2660 fps. With a B.C. of .359. (So the bullet was the first bad assumption on your part.)
There's no way on earth I would in a million years attempt a shot at over 700 yds. even if I KNEW I could hit my target. Velocity would be so low, the bullet would not expand. What MV did you use for the 250 gr. NP? Do you know at what velocity the NP in question will cease to expand reliably?
Besides all that, I have a 600 yd. range at my house which I've shot on extensively. (I shoot High Power competitivly) I know first hand what the slightest puff of wind can do to a bullet at these ranges. Fact is, about 30 minutes prior to killing last years bull I watched a much larger bull spar with another bull at a lasered 510 yds. It never entered my mind to attempt that shot because it would have been highly irresponsible. Made for some beautiful snapshots though!
2) You have no idea at what elevation I hunt. (Second incorrect assumption)FYI it's over 10,000 ft. which affects the trajectory and terminal velocity of a bullet greatly.
3) I knew WELL before my bull walked out of the timber how far my bullet dropped in 50 yd. increments out to 400 yds. Th 225 gr. TSX drops about 16" at 350 yds. at 10,000 ft. All I had to do was hold ovre about 6". No estimating...I've shot enough at long range to have a pretty good idea of what 6" at 350 yds. looks like. All I had time to do is range him and make the decision to shoot. If I'd had to twiddle with a elevation knob and count clicks, the bull would've been long gone.
Your post proved my assumption correct: you're one of those armchair, internet ballisticians who thinks foot-pounds of energy kills game. Oh well...to each his own.

And I still maintain my assertion that your rig looks like your rifle is mounted to your scope. Must be handy to carry a trim (ahem) little rig like that through the brush! laugh
35WN

"Only accurate rifles are interesting."- Col. Townsend Whelen
"I always tell the truth....that way, I don't have to remember anything."- George Burns
NRA Life Member
Certified NRA Reloading Instructor
Certified Texas Hunter Education Instructor
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
35WhelenNut,

With regard to your below statement, could you clarify something?

And I still maintain my assertion that your rig looks like your rifle is mounted to your scope. Must be handy to carry a trim (ahem) little rig like that through the brush! laugh
35WN

Are you talking about this rifle?

[Linked Image]

Or this one?

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

There are a few things that beg arguing here:
1) I use a 225 gr. TSX at a measured 2660 fps. With a B.C. of .359. (So the bullet was the first bad assumption on your part.)
There's no way on earth I would in a million years attempt a shot at over 700 yds. even if I KNEW I could hit my target. Velocity would be so low, the bullet would not expand. What MV did you use for the 250 gr. NP? Do you know at what velocity the NP in question will cease to expand reliably?
Besides all that, I have a 600 yd. range at my house which I've shot on extensively. (I shoot High Power competitivly) I know first hand what the slightest puff of wind can do to a bullet at these ranges. Fact is, about 30 minutes prior to killing last years bull I watched a much larger bull spar with another bull at a lasered 510 yds. It never entered my mind to attempt that shot because it would have been highly irresponsible. Made for some beautiful snapshots though!
2) You have no idea at what elevation I hunt. (Second incorrect assumption)FYI it's over 10,000 ft. which affects the trajectory and terminal velocity of a bullet greatly.
3) I knew WELL before my bull walked out of the timber how far my bullet dropped in 50 yd. increments out to 400 yds. Th 225 gr. TSX drops about 16" at 350 yds. at 10,000 ft. All I had to do was hold ovre about 6". No estimating...I've shot enough at long range to have a pretty good idea of what 6" at 350 yds. looks like. All I had time to do is range him and make the decision to shoot. If I'd had to twiddle with a elevation knob and count clicks, the bull would've been long gone.
Your post proved my assumption correct: you're one of those armchair, internet ballisticians who thinks foot-pounds of energy kills game. Oh well...to each his own.

35WN

muzzle velocity for the 250 NPT calculations was 2600 fps. ( ~60K psi and 24")

never had a NPT not expand, and i've killed more schitt than i can count with 'em.

you do know that elevation will will reduce bullet drop and velocity loss, all else equal don't you? seems not. and yes, i'm no stranger to 10k+.

about 6". No estimating

LOL

when i have to get my 6'4" frame through the brush, i've never had the .75" turret make a difference. that little rifle has been with me to griz and wolf infested 10K+ more times than i can count and never once regretted the knob. and of course, that isn't the only rifle i've carted up the mountain sporting similar knobs less issue.

'Dood, the 600 has taken bear with authority, but i much the M7 for utility.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
toad, what are the specs on the M7's scope? I like the looks of that setup.

Only scout scope I ever used was a Springfield Armory 2x on a SA Scout/Squad. The short .308 would put Fed 168s into .75 at 100 yards, and it could bust an MGM rifle target at 300 yards, but never hunted with that setup.

It didn't strike me as particularly fast to acquire a target with either. I sent the scope back, bought the rifle and used it with irons or Aimpoint until I foolishly sold it.

I have a Frontier .358 that I used a Micro T1 on to shoot a doe in a field about 100 yards away. Worked great in the open, but the green tint and lack of magnification kept me from shooting a big buck 60 yards away in heavy woods at daybreak on another occasion.

I am going to put Leupold 2.5X LW or a Weaver 1-3X on it for woods hunting this season. Or maybe copy Toad's system; it'd be kind of cool to spin a turret on a 2.5 or 4X and hit way out yonder with a .358.

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
CC'84,

that's a Leupold VXIII 1.5-5 with a M1 knob intalled. MontanMarine has one similar, 'cept his has a target elevaion knob.

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

646 members (12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,357 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,621
Posts18,455,093
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.