Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
mhp Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Anyone having problems with their ejectors on the Sako A7 300 WSM. Mine is new but it drops the fired cartridge on top of the magazine about half the time. I'm not short stroking the bolt. The ejector spring has good tension, bolt face is good, using Winchester brass.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Some have reported troubles when combining a bulky scope and mounts too low. This crowds the ejection port causing issues. This is unless you are test feeding the rifle without scope and having issues. Then that would be another issue.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
M
mhp Offline OP
OP Offline
M
The scope is a Leupold VX7 30mm so an average scope size and it does have low mounts but it doesn't appear that the brass hits the scope when ejected. When I worked up the load I test fed single rounds and thought things might improve with the magazine full such as in a hunting environment but it didn't. Took it to BC last week and had to clear the injection port 2 times. Fortunately they were one shot kills and I didn't have a Grizzley breathing down my neck! It's almost like the bolt doesn't hold the brass very firm.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I thought a 30mm VX7 had a bit more bulk. Take the scope off and test the feeding. If it's the scope, go up one notch in ring height.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mhp
Anyone having problems with their ejectors on the Sako A7 300 WSM.

Originally Posted by GaryVA
Some have reported troubles when combining a bulky scope and mounts too low.

SU35 reported his A7 wouldn't flip out empty's with a Minox scope and extra-low Talley LW's. If I remember correctly low LW's solved the problem.

Never had an issue but I've only used low Talley's with standard 1" Leupold scopes.

Last edited by SamOlson; 10/24/10.
IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
What SAM said

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SU35
I appreciate everyone's one's input and feedback here!

But, I think I may have solved what is wrong here.

I have Talley Extra Lows on the rifle and the brass can't clear the scope on ejection.
I have just a hairs clearance between the barrel and front end of scope.

I just pulled the scope and guess what?
The rifle "pops' that brass out like it's supposed to.

I have a set of Talley low's that I hope will work on this. I know they work for other people.

Something learned and gained here.

[Linked Image]

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's pretty simple in mechanics being nothing more than a 75 style bolt face.

You have an extractor assembled with three parts:
- the extractor, extractor plunger, and extractor spring.

You have an ejector assembled with three parts:
- the ejector, ejector spring, and a pin.

You have a bolt release assembled with three parts:
- the bolt release, release spring, and a pin.

The extractor snaps over the case groove which does the actual grabbing of the case as you withdraw the bolt. The ejector is compressed on the other side of the bolt face against the head of the case within the bolt face. You withdraw the bolt to a dead stop against the bolt release(stop). As soon as the case clears the front receiver ring, there is nothing to hold the case against the bolt face and the spring pressure of the ejector pushes the case forward and flips it off the extractor on the other side.

Just thinking of a few simple causes if the mechanics were in spec; The operator is not operating the bolt sharply causing the neck of the case to drag, the bolt is unable to withdraw far enough (but then I don't see how it would feed a loaded round), for whatever reason the load is too hot causing some out of spec case expanson that sticks the head in the bolt face, or there is some form of obstruction that blocks a clean ejection such as the scope crowding the port.

Keep us posted as you work through this issue.

Good Luck:)

- Clint Eastwood
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
SU35 reported his A7 wouldn't flip out empty's with a Minox scope and extra-low Talley LW's. If I remember correctly low LW's solved the problem.

Never had an issue but I've only used low Talley's with standard 1" Leupold scopes.

Yep, And I sent this below pic to Minox, they are well aware of the problem. Great folks btw.

[Linked Image]

Pull the scope and give it a try, bet it ejects just fine.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Has anyone tried turning their scope 90deg and using the elevation knobs for windage and vice versa?

Just askin. smile People might make fun of ya but it would probably work (unless you have side focus!)......................................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Heck with the scope, I think an A7 30-06 with a set of Brockman tritium sights would make an outstanding lightweight fixed sight carbine. I think that will be my next project.

- Clint Eastwood
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Maybe this scope clearing issue has given rise to: left handed scopes? My bet is the brass is hitting the windage turret cap.
Let us know how you make out.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 10/26/10.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

These Talley LWs are one step higher than in SU35's pic above. There is ample clearance for ejection and the scope naturally aligns to my eye.

- Clint Eastwood

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (222ND, 2003and2013, 10Glocks, 163bc, 16Racing, 1badf350, 63 invisible), 2,521 guests, and 1,327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,145
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.