Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by the_shootist
People can believe whatever they choose to believe.

And it IS a choice, too. Often times I hear people say that they don't believe but it isn't true. Truth is they've chosen to believe something different.

There are no voids in belief. Only choices.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Archerhunter

And it IS a choice, too. Often times I hear people say that they don't believe but it isn't true. Truth is they've chosen to believe something different.

I've never met an athiest who had enough self honesty to admit what is apparent to all those around him , and that is that he has crowned himself as Lord of the Universe .

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
he has crowned himself as Lord of the Universe

He's just following in his father's footsteps.

"I will raise my throne above that of the Most High God."

It's a counterfeit crown. For everything single thing God invented, the devil provides a counterfeit.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And it's all based on that one choice...

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by BrentD
Originally Posted by achadwick
Come on, Brian. The scientific method can tell us only very little about the world in which we live and its history.

Do you really believe that? If you do, how do you get through your average day?

Of course I believe that, Brent. Suggest you do a little research into the scientific method. I'll even get you started; in order to do science on something it must be observable, repeatable and falsifiable.

(Regret it's taken me so long to reply. Work has been crazy busy lately.)

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Well, he did do pretty good with this:
I care when people die .........

Until he added this:
- needlessly.

Quite frankly, not sure what he is saying about anything other than himself,........ another attempt to tell others what they need. I do think it shows a weakness in his belief in science.

For those of you who understood the lesson of,".........turn away from those you can not help."
and the, ".........do not discourage your brother......", hope you are better at the righteous thing than I am.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
And one last thing, one man's faith is another man's superstition.

Only difference is, superstition isn't Biblical.

And for many of us the Bible is mythology and superstition.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
People can believe whatever they choose to believe. What many fail to account is that based on what they choose to believe about The Lord, the day of reckoning can have some fairly dire eventualities.

So believe what you want, but make sure that it contains "Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures, and that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day, according to the scriptures."

Who says? You have no empirical proof of what you say. To say that if some of us don't believe what you say we are cursed is no different than a black witch issuing a curse. It is interesting to note that no white witch would ever curse anyone but Christians do it all the time.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

B
BCBrian Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by curdog4570

I've never met an athiest who had enough self honesty to admit what is apparent to all those around him , and that is that he has crowned himself as Lord of the Universe .

Well, we've never met - but I wear no crown. In fact, I believe the universe is my creator, and I believe I am subject to all the laws of the universe. In fact, if you really want to know what I believe in (Scientific Pantheism) you could look it up here.

http://www.pantheism.net/paul/index.htm

I still find it interesting that when the Christians on board write posts trying to influence people towards their own belief - it's a good thing. But when an atheist, pantheist, deist - or a person of any any other faith for that matter does it here - he's a "troll" for attempting to trying to influence people towards what he believes in - complete with the name-calling, anger and outrage.

To me, that in itself, is an interesting reflection on the actual character of many of the self-described Christians that we have here around at the fire.

If that's how Christians act - it's one more reason why I don't want to be part of that club.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Dude . . .

That means you are not an Atheist.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I started multiple threads over time with the common theme that atheists are ignorant morons,thereby setting myself well above them,I would expect the atheists to dump on me. And I wouldn't play the victim card.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
B
BCBrian Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
What if you started threads saying why you think Christianity is a good belief? Or, how it helped you?

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

B
BCBrian Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by BMT
Dude . . .

BMT

Scientific Pantheists don't believe in a god. That - by definition - means they are atheists.

God - is what we DON'T believe in.

Scientific Pantheism - is what we DO believe in.

Why do pantheists believe in pantheism? There are several compelling reasons.

1. Most traditional religions have elements which are hard to believe or to reconcile with common sense, evidence or modern science. Most pantheists are reared in another religion, and as they mature come to question what they have been taught. This leads many people to atheism or humanism.

2. Atheism and humanism don't suffer from the logical or empirical problems of traditional religions - but many people find them too cold and dry. They don't provide a sense of positive belonging to nature and the universe.

3. Nearly everyone feels religious feelings when looking at nature or the night sky. Most people explain those feelings in terms of the religion they were taught as children.

Pantheism believes that those feelings are older and more basic than any traditional religion: they are a natural part of our existence as natural material beings. They are a recognition of our participation and belonging as members of nature and the universe.

Pantheism takes those feelings as its basic foundation.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by BCBrian
Originally Posted by BMT
Dude . . .

BMT

Scientific Pantheists don't believe in a god. That - by definition - means they are atheists.

1. Most traditional religions have elements which are hard to believe or to reconcile with common sense, evidence or modern science. Most pantheists are reared in another religion, and as they mature come to question what they have been taught. This leads many people to atheism or humanism.

2. Atheism and humanism don't suffer from the logical or empirical problems of traditional religions - but many people find them too cold and dry. They don't provide a sense of positive belonging to nature and the universe.

3. Nearly everyone feels religious feelings when looking at nature or the night sky. Most people explain those feelings in terms of the religion they were taught as children.

Pantheism believes that those feelings are older and more basic than any traditional religion: they are a natural part of our existence as natural material beings. They are a recognition of our participation and belonging as members of nature and the universe.

Pantheists believe that the Universe and God are identical.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantheism

B
BCBrian Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Here are some other famous Pantheists - and their own thoughts.

Albert Einstein
"A knowledge of the existence of something we cannot penetrate, of the manifestations of the profoundest reason and the most radiant beauty - it is this knowledge and this emotion that constitute the truly religious attitude; in this sense, and this alone, I am a deeply religious man."

Margaret Atwood
"god is not the voice in the whirlwind - god is the whirlwind"

Mikhail Gorbachev
"I believe in the cosmos. All of us are linked to the cosmos. So nature is my god. To me, nature is sacred. Trees are my temples and forests are my cathedrals."

Sitting Bull
"Every seed is awakened and so is all animal life.It is through this mysterious power that we too have our being and we therefore yield to our animal neighbours the same right as ourselves, to inhabit this land."

Stephen Hawking
Larry King: Do you believe in God?
Stephen Hawking:
"Yes, if by God is meant the embodiment of the law of the universe."
Larry King Live, December 25, 1999

Carl Sagan
"A religion old or new, that stressed the magnificence of the universe as revealed by modern science, might be able to draw forth reserves of reverence and awe hardly tapped by the conventional faiths. Sooner or later, such a religion will emerge."
Pale Blue Dot

Henry David Thoreau
"We are enabled to apprehend at all what is sublime and noble only by the perpetual instilling and drenching of the reality that surrounds us. We can never have enough of nature."

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

B
BCBrian Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by burner
Originally Posted by BMT
Dude . . .

BMT

Pantheists believe that the Universe and God are identical.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantheism

I'd submit that self-identified "SCIENTIFIC PANTHEISTS" hold a different view.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Even after an eruption alert was issued and most villagers on the slopes of Java's Mount Merapi had been evacuated, 83-year old Mbah (grandfather) Maridjan stayed put.

Why he has nothing on Harry Truman, he never left Mount St Helens either.

At least they found his body. They never did find Harry's body after Mount St Helens erupted or any of the others who died on the mountian that day in May here in Washington.

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What if you started threads saying why you think Christianity is a good belief? Or, how it helped you?

That would be a different matter, would it not?

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
B
BCBrian Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
I do see your point. smile

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Religion and belief are two different things, you can have one without the other.

Kent

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 58 invisible), 2,069 guests, and 1,088 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,080
Posts18,463,886
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.