-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
OP Offline
W
a local pawn shop here has a pretty decent ruger #3 in 223 anyone know the value of something like that. The wood is pretty plain one good scratch down it. But it sure is nifty

GB1

B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
BUY.

IT.

NOW.

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I don't believe there is any set value for a #3. The relative rarity of the caliber is the deciding factor. .223's are not all that common, but I believe not as rare as the .30-40 or the .44 Mag.

IMHO, the biggest problem with the #3 is that demand far exceeds supply. Thus about the only determining factor is: "How bad do you want it?"

I used to buy #3's for a basis for Custom rifles, but now it's really cheaper to buy #1's, especially so if you plan to restock the #3's with #1 wood, (As I have done to all of mine...)

GH

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Around here, almost all #3's I see are priced right with #1's at $600 to $800, but last year I found a #3 22K-Hornet with #1 stock for $500. smile

Bruce

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by bcp
Around here, almost all #3's I see are priced right with #1's at $600 to $800, but last year I found a #3 22K-Hornet with #1 stock for $500. smile

Bruce

Bruce,

Than't pretty much what I've seen wherever I go... frown For a rifle that was supposed to be an economy grade, I just don't get it.... But you know how collectors are...

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

IC B2

W
OP Offline
W
Hmm well he want 600 for it and to be honest the last thing I need is another damn rifle I dont shoot but I may snag it for future deals. I might find someone that just has to have it.

thanks guys

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Seems .45-70 Govt's can be had for the $500 mark.

I agree, I don't see why a #3 should be anywhere near the price of a #1, but the law of supply and demand prevails.

I would say $600 for a scratched up .223 in a pawn shop is pretty ballsy.

The pawn shop here in Siux City treats there guns like a museum. Priced to stay behind the counter for a long time.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer but how he hunted it.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
If it were I... I'd only buy a #3 for a future project. If one has to pay the price for a #1, one might just as well buy a #1. I can't really see anyone wanting a #3 because of what it is, unless the price is attractive. Face it: they are ugly, heavy for their size, and the sights suck. Not to mention that scope mounting is not optimal... (And yes, I admit to being slightly biased!) grin

But like a previious poster has stated... The collectors don't really want them until they are discontinued. smile So goes life...

GH

AJD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Grasshopper
If it were I... I'd only buy a #3 for a future project. If one has to pay the price for a #1, one might just as well buy a #1.
GH

+1 on GH advice.

I would only do a #3 for a project if it were really cheap. If I was planning to restock it al la #1, unless looking for really custom wood, why not buy a #1 and rebarrel?

Having said that I have a couple of #3's that I really like. One was purchased with the wood reshaped and accurized, a hornet, very accurate and attractive. The other is a 375 win, and, I know I know, shortened the stock and put a decent pad on it. Makes for a light, quick handling, close woods rifle. Anyway its fun to play with.

Last edited by AJD; 10/28/10.

There is no accounting for taste.

Experience is a great thing as long as one survives it.

Generally, there ain't a lot that separates the two however,
Barely making it is a whole lot more satisfying than barely not making it.
bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
An example of #3 pricing: (not mine! don't PM me. smile )

"2. Ruger No. 3 in .375 Winchester. This is a fairly rare caliber in this rifle. It is in nice condition. There are some small marks on the wood from being in the safe, but nothing major. No box, but bases and rings are included. $825"

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/fo...ng-safe-rifle-sale-ruger-win-marlin.html

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

708 members (160user, 1936M71, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 163dm, 16Racing, 71 invisible), 3,095 guests, and 1,373 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,582
Posts18,454,167
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.