Print Thread
Hop To
J
joetex Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Got a 25-06 built in the 90s by Doug Arnold. Remington action, 28"Hart barrel, Jewel trigger. Verrrry accurate. An internet search for Arnold Arms led to some odd sites. Did they get bought out by some other company? Like to have them build me another. Maybe a light 7-08.
joetex

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Years ago I had a chance to invest in Arnold Arms but I didn't do it. I don't know if they are still in business or not. Over the years I've seen several good rifle companies bite the dust, not because of quality but because of growing pains, cash flow, etc. I never bought a Montana action for fear of them fading away but I hope they make it.

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Arnold was a small outfit in western Washington. I think they folded about 10 years ago. I heard mixed reports when I was in the gun business, but a couple of well-respected posters here own their rifles and swear by them.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
J
joetex Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
I also remember getting a stock purchase offer from them a few years ago. Hope they resurface. They built a damn fine rifle. Called one day with a question & Mr Arnold himself answered the phone. Great guy.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I have a Montana action and like it. I have heard mixed things of them but have to say they were great to me. They told me when the ship date was going to be and it was at my FFL that date. If we don't support the small guys they will fade away.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They went out of business in what I believe was a bankruptcy. Built some good guns but did some gunsmithing work, particularly "accurizing" factory rifles, that was suspect to poor.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Yes, they did go out of business. They built two rifles for me and both were accurate and have been performing flawlessly ever since.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
They had a pretty good reputation here in the Pacific Northwest and built some good rifles. A buddy had one on an old Springfield action that was quite a rifle. Wish I'd had the cash when he opted to sell it.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
When they went out of business from many accounts it was pretty ugly. Word had it that many employees were owed money and some customers lost both goods and money when the doors were shut.

I was at the public auction in early 2002 when all remaining parts were sold. Barrels and stocks were sold in varying sized lots with no real reasoning what was in the lot. You had to check out the lot ahead of time if you were to know what you were buying. I spent over $550 on barrels, stocks, mounts & bases and wish I would have had double that to spend. There were some definite bargains to be had but there were also some parts that were victims of less than great smithing. Some could be saved, others not. I really was sleeping on a couple of auction lots. I remember especially one where someone bought 10 or 12 new synthetic stocks, nearly everyone for Remington 700s, and nearly everyone was made by Rimrock which later became Borden. If I remember correctly he paid about $25 apiece for them.

I used a little of what I bought but most was resold. I did keep one Rimrock stock which went on my wife's 721.

From what was sold it appeared they used quality parts when they built the rifles for customers but I have heard both good and horrible reports on the finished products. I have heard more than one smith say they are glad they are no longer in business.

Larry
"Speed is fine but accuracy is final" - Bill Jordan
"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc. wink
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
i have a bud who lost a rem 700 308 he had sent to them for acuracy upgrade. my bud did receive a letter from the court regarding arnold's problem. he in turn consulted an attorney, who wrote a letter for him, but he never recovered the rifle.

IC B3

J
joetex Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
the 25-06 they built for me is outstanding. when it was new, it would put 5 shots in the low .2s
now its had a couple thousand rounds down the tube, & groups have about doubled to nearly a half an inch.
killed a ton of deer w/ it.

J
joetex Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
hotsoup,
tell your bud not to give up.
my brother in law got an ENRON settlement check in the mail last week.
joetex.......

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 12344mag, 61 invisible), 2,701 guests, and 1,178 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,216
Posts18,466,324
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.