Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Want to get a couple of sythetic stocks for K98 Mausers I have in the works. (Without breaking the bank - ie: McMillan etc) What would you recommend?

I've been leaning toward the B&C Medalist stocks for around $220 or so (which fit the budget nicely). Any experience with these?

Thanks for the input.
Rob

Last edited by Technoman26; 10/26/10. Reason: my terrible speeling
BP-B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
First of all, given the design differences in the various models of m98 Mausers, getting a stock that is going to drop in without much work may be an issue.

On the higher end of $200, you have the Bansner High-Tech Specialties stocks. They will run about $225 shipped in blank form. Short of Mickey Edge stock, they are a very good lightweight platform and finish out to about 28 ounces with a pad.

For around $100 there is the Hogue and then there are the Butler Creeks- for around $80 to $100. Personally, I am not big on the loks or feel of the Hogue, but functionally they are fine.

For the do- it- yourselfer- the Butler Creeks are a sleeper. The basics design is pretty good and with a little work, they are actually a pretty good stock. Here is one I put on my Interarms Mark -X working rifle in 30-06.

I removed the checkering pads from the stock, which look like hell. I fitted a .6" Pachmayr Decelorator and reinforced the forend with some 5/16" aluminum tubing buried in some "Bondo Glass" filler. The result is a pretty damn stiff forend. I then glass bedded the action and free floated the forend.

I also did some other minor cosmetic touch-ups like fill in the safety /bolt notches and restyle the back of the cheekpeice for better appearance. The whole thing was then hit with some black Dura-coat. It cost me a little over $100 plus my time and made up into a nice, light little stock.The finished stock weighs 31 ounces on my digital scale .

[Linked Image]

Last edited by jim62; 10/26/10.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I like the one that midway sells as Fajin.
I don't know what it weighs but it feels good.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I put a B&C carbelite on my FN mauser, J C Higgins 50, about 12 years ago. Some minor file work to make the fit, and bedded.
No complaints whatever.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I would second the Bansner's. They are a good stock but the question may be how much work do you want to do?

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by trouthunterdj
I would second the Bansner's. They are a good stock but the question may be how much work do you want to do?

That's precisely the issue. I don't mind augering out the bolt handle slot or working the inletting to fit a little better, but I'd prefer not to have to do most of the inletting. I'm not that talented. grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When you say K98, are you talking K98 bottom metal with K98 step barrel? Some choices that may be ideal for commercial bottom metal and a sporter barrel may be less than ideal with issue K98 components.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just called to check, the Butler Creek stock (BCRM98K) that was specifically inletted for the 98K military mauser was discontinued and is no longer made. The only version offered now is the BCRM98 which is inletted for the FN/Mark-X commercial mauser w/ sporter barrel. I think sometime in the near future, PTG will offer their machined (aluminum/steel/stainless) bottom metal for the Mauser. This may be an inexpensive route to convert the 98K to a commercial bottom inlet.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
GaryVA - Right. These are mil-issue Mausers being converted with sporter barrels. Right now, I just have 2 german made K98's in the white with mil-issue bottom metal. Stocks inlet for the Mark-X won't work. Depending on how this all pans out, I may go another route. As in, scrap the idea altogether. Thanks for checking on that for me.
Rob

Last edited by Technoman26; 10/29/10.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Well, I have experience with both the Basner and Butler Creek on Mausers. I like the Basner because it is really light. However, I also really like the Butler Creeks because ergonomically, it is a great design. It fits me like a glove with a very slim forend.

I wouldn't worry about the barrel channel on a Butler Creek. Just hog that joker out until it fits. Then you can use expoxy or Bondo get it just right. Then, all you have to do is paint it.

I usually cut off the forends on my Butler Creeks and shorten them up a bit. That tends to make them stiffer.

Right now, CDNN has them for about $35 which is a heck of a good deal.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
348 members (280shooter, 204guy, 29aholic, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 43 invisible), 2,235 guests, and 1,077 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,724
Posts18,400,599
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.