Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Or is it too much of a pain in the azz to bother with?

Camp is where you make it.
GB1

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
You can contact your internet service provider.

The ones in my area charges a fee to allow you to change it.

bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Why do you want to change it?

Deal with it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you have wifi

Turn off the router for a five minuets and it should be changed.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Winnie1300
If you have wifi

Most IP's are assigned dynamically from your ISP. Even if you turn off your router it will get a new one in the group - meaning if you are trying to get a new one to avoid being blocked on a site you still will be.

You can pay your ISP extra for a static IP if you want one that never changes however.

If you use windows you can start a command prompt and enter "ipconfig /release" and then after that finishes "ipconfig /renew" and it will get you another dynamic IP in the same range as the first one.

Last edited by NathanL; 10/29/10.

Otto is my co-pilot.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by AKBoater
He's been getting sexting emails from the Geezer..

laugh laugh laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You can probably change your IP address with your ISP but you also have a MAC address that stays the same unless you change your internet card. Just in case you're trying to hide something on your computer from the Cops. kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by AKBoater
He's been getting sexting emails from the Geezer..

laugh laugh laugh

Busted

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
got the boot off an outdoors site that is run like Nazi's and I told them so.

It makes this site soooo much better.

IC B3

WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
as others have already said, simply getting a new IP is not difficult because most ISP's have a pool of IP's they use for their clients, and you're pretty much randomly assigned one each time you connect to them. The problem is, the pool of IP addresses from a given ISP is typically within a given range - i.e. 192.0.0.0 thru 192.0.0.999 - which means that any IP address in that "range" is identifiable as a certain ISP's ownership.

Next, there are other internal "codes" or "addresses" associated with your personal hardware - your router has unique ID's, as does your network card, modem, etc... Depending on how your network is set up, some of these addresses are "hidden from public view", or possibly not. These can be used to identify your PC, or your network as well, possibly.

I guess what I'm saying is that if you're trying to re-identify yourself to get around having your IP banned from a website or forum, there's usually more to getting around it than simply re-connecting to your ISP and being given a new IP address ...

-WGM-
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by tzone
got the boot off an outdoors site that is run like Nazi's and I told them so.

It makes this site soooo much better.

Let me know how it goes - I've been trying to post this on the Vikings' blogs and keep getting the boot...

[Linked Image]

Me

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Let me know what site you want to post it at, and I can take care of it.
grin

Have an A1 Day!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kwg020
You can probably change your IP address with your ISP but you also have a MAC address that stays the same unless you change your internet card. Just in case you're trying to hide something on your computer from the Cops. kwg

Your mac address is only visible out to the first upstream router which will be your isp. In other words, a web site will never know what it is. If your concern is not with the isp, there's no need to worry about the mac address.

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by NathanL
Originally Posted by Winnie1300
If you have wifi

Most IP's are assigned dynamically from your ISP. Even if you turn off your router it will get a new one in the group - meaning if you are trying to get a new one to avoid being blocked on a site you still will be.

You can pay your ISP extra for a static IP if you want one that never changes however.

If you use windows you can start a command prompt and enter "ipconfig /release" and then after that finishes "ipconfig /renew" and it will get you another dynamic IP in the same range as the first one.

This does not always work. Even if you release the address, many isps will retain a record of the address lease which is associated with your mac address. When you attempt to get a new one, the same address will be reissued.

The only way to ensure getting a new ip address is to:

1. Temporarily, manually change your ip address to a static address in the same subnet. It doesn't matter what address it is as long as it's in your isp's subnet. And it doesn't matter if they already gave that address to another customer.

2. Change your mac address on the network card. And no, this doesn't require swapping out the card.

3. Switch back to dynamic addressing from the static address. Your computer will now go out and request a new address based on the changed mac address. The old ip address record will be orphaned on the isp's server.

MOLON LABE
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What is an IP address, and how does it work?

It is something for computers that works sort of like caller ID on a telephone?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
An IP address is like your house's street address which tells the mailman to figure out how to get you your mail. It's just an electronic address assigned to your computer by your Internet Service Provider so that electronic packets can get to your computer from anywhere in the world. It's often a temporary address "loaned" to you from the ISP. If you go to a web site, they can tell what that address is and block your address if you are a trouble maker :-). For example, if you go to a liberal forum and share some of those pesky facts with them, they'll likely not want you to post anymore and can block your address. That's an example of why someone may be motivated to change their address so they can keep posting.

MOLON LABE
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you are having problems with one site you can use a proxy, there are a couple of web based proxies out there for free as well.

Otto is my co-pilot.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
A good one is Hidemyass.com

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
MAC is burned into ROM, no? Seems to be on all my NICs. Required to be unique to that particular part from the range assigned the manufacturer.

Also if you don't mind jumping through an extra hoop you can connect through a free proxy server (Google to find). (Oops, written before reading nathanl's post.)

Last edited by nighthawk; 10/30/10.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

127 members (358WCF, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 30Gibbs, 35sambar, 21 invisible), 2,319 guests, and 920 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,648
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.