Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Reloader: Nice bucks!7RM works good!Congrats on those.

Jeff, they eat swell if you get them before the rut.I've never had a bad one that I can remember.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I've never had the "pleasure" of eating or hunting one that was rutting, so I think they're pretty good. Still a bit more "whang" than a whitetail, but if you take care of the meat and don't let it bone sour, it's good. And usually a lot of it.

Golden............
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Big mulies have been some of the best venison I've ever had.

Congrats guys on some great bucks.

loder

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My son's buck, taken a couple of years ago in central BC during the middle of the rut. You could smell it from 15 yards away and it didn't taste much better. We gutted and skinned it right away, too, and cooled it off quickly. Didn't help much.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by John_G; 11/03/10.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Certainly nothing wrong with a 7mm Rem Mag. But I of course love the .264 Win Mag. And if you want to monkey around with a wildcat, you might consider a 6.5 WSM. There's a couple of over .500 BC big game bullets out there to fool with, notably the 140 Accubond, 130 Scirooco and 160 Woodleigh.
One thing I wouldn't do is put too heavy of a barrel on it. You're gonna have to walk with this rifle. I've got a 27.5 inch #3 Lilja on my .264 and for a more dedicated mountain gun, I'd probably go with a 25" #2. Mine's twisted 1:9 which is fine, but no harm in an 8 twist, 3 groove while we're upgrading. And don't be afraid to build a purty stock for this rifle!

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jeff,
I take it you're settled on a 7mm of some sort. Good choice, considering the bullets that you can put through one. How about the 280AI, then? There's a lot to like: good performance in a well-balanced package, mild recoil, feeds well, and holds more than 2-3 in the magazine.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I would think hard about building a rifle around the 130g SII(BC571) in 6.5 caliber or the 162g Amax/168-180(BC 600-660) Berger in 7mm. I would look hard at the 6.5x284/260AI in SA in 6.5 caliber or the 284 Shehane/7SAUM in 7mm.

208g Amax in your .30-06 with its BC of 633 would probably hold up pretty well too.

Great to have options.

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
John G, if I build or buy a rifle, it'll be a 7mm WSM virtually for certain. The Montana seems like an obvious frontrunner here. Be hard to find one in 7 WSM, and then it'd have to SHOOT to work any better at all than my (excellent) 30-06.... so the most likely path forward is to buy a WSM Kimber on the cheap, probably a .325 as I'm betting there's some "on sale" ones of those out there... and send it to Pac-Nor for a rebarrel. At that point chances are good it would be pretty special.

So that's how I see the ideal situation playing out. Far more likely is that my '06 gets the call or heck, my .325 Montana. That rifle is a shooter and does evil things to my steel plates out to 500 yds with great reliability. The 8mm bullets are not real high BC and, maybe for that reason, that rifle tops out around 500 though.

Kyreloader, I think those are all great points. I'm more inclined towards giving the 200-NAB a run in my '06 because if I get both speed and accuracy, then I've got a load that handles near and far, deer to elk. The Amax kind of gives me the willies on something big and tough and close.

We'll see! I don't want to get too spun out on plotting gear (I'm prone to that, lol)... OTOH, it early November and there's time to do something nutty like building "my" ultimate rifle, if I decide to, and it's fun to talk about. What the heck, right? smile

I am loving hearing folks thoughts on this and the big buck pictures are awesome too. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Jeff_O; 11/03/10.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Originally Posted by tx270
I'm still trying to figure out why your considering 200 gr bullets at 2700 fps out of an 06' as a dedicated "long" range mule deer load.

Load up some high BC 150's at 3000fps or so, or some 165's at 2850-2900. THEN your talking a dedicated long range muley load.

Sometimes your logic baffles me.

Given equally accurate loads, the 200-gn Accubond at 2740 fps is a significantly superior long range load to a 165-gn NBT at 2900 fps or a 150 at 3000 fps. I'm not talking drop, nor retained energy here... talking wind drift mainly. Drop is easy to correct, etc.

However, I don't know if I'll be able to get both that kind of speed with the 200's and great accuracy. That's still an unknown. My last try with RL17 yielded as-advertised speed (in my .325) but not great accuracy.

Anyway I won't argue against the 30-06. I love my 30-06; it's on it's second barrel as a 30-06, if that tells anything... I've run at least (400) 165-gn NBT's through that rifle in the last year, mostly at longer ranges, and you bet, they work. I would tend to agree that 165's are near-nirvana in a 30-06... but RL17 may goose the 200-gn enough to change things a bit.

And finally.... the rifle loon in me can't help but figure ways that I could do this job better than the 30-06, which happens a lot, I gather, to other loons too. smile

Jeff it sounds like you are answering your own question..take your 30-06 and be done. If you really want a Kimber in 7WSM, then just buy one. I just can't understand why you would buy one and rebarrel it. If the gun shoots then use it as is. The idea INHO on the Kimber is lightweight, handling and balance, why would you screw it up by rebarreling.

If you like the '06 as much as you say, then use it and spend the money on different components to find an accurate load that you have confidence on. I'll bet a cup of coffee right now that after all is said and done, if you get a shot at a big mulie, it will be under 200 yds and all this is a moot point grin

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
How bout another pic? Ingwewife and open country mule deer..

Rifle is .30-06 with 1-4 Leupy Scope.... grin

Range was 100 yds....

[Linked Image]

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My open country mule deer rifle hasn't kilt any open country mulies yet, but I'll show her off, just because I like to!

And that's a great pic Ingwe

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i392.photobucket.com/albums/pp5/richman_mark/P1040427.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i392.photobucket.com/albums/pp5/richman_mark/2010%20Wyoming%20Antelope/P1050139.jpg[/img]

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ChipM
I'm still trying to figure out why your considering 200 gr bullets at 2700 fps out of an 06' as a dedicated "long" range mule deer load.

Load up some high BC 150's at 3000fps or so, or some 165's at 2850-2900. THEN your talking a dedicated long range muley load.

Given equally accurate loads, the 200-gn Accubond at 2740 fps is a significantly superior long range load to a 165-gn NBT at 2900 fps or a 150 at 3000 fps. I'm not talking drop, nor retained energy here... talking wind drift mainly. Drop is easy to correct, etc.

However, I don't know if I'll be able to get both that kind of speed with the 200's and great accuracy. That's still an unknown. My last try with RL17 yielded as-advertised speed (in my .325) but not great accuracy.

Anyway I won't argue against the 30-06. I love my 30-06; it's on it's second barrel as a 30-06, if that tells anything... I've run at least (400) 165-gn NBT's through that rifle in the last year, mostly at longer ranges, and you bet, they work. I would tend to agree that 165's are near-nirvana in a 30-06... but RL17 may goose the 200-gn enough to change things a bit.

And finally.... the rifle loon in me can't help but figure ways that I could do this job better than the 30-06, which happens a lot, I gather, to other loons too. smile

Jeff it sounds like you are answering your own question..take your 30-06 and be done. If you really want a Kimber in 7WSM, then just buy one. I just can't understand why you would buy one and rebarrel it. If the gun shoots then use it as is. The idea INHO on the Kimber is lightweight, handling and balance, why would you screw it up by rebarreling.

If you like the '06 as much as you say, then use it and spend the money on different components to find an accurate load that you have confidence on. I'll bet a cup of coffee right now that after all is said and done, if you get a shot at a big mulie, it will be under 200 yds and all this is a moot point grin

Yeah, that'd be how it worked out no doubt! Obsess and practice to 700 yds.... kill one at 150....

Just for clarification- 7 WSM isn't chambered anymore by Kimber; they are getting scarce. If I bought a different WSM and rebarreled I'd have them match the Montana contour- so weight and balance would be the same.

For informational purposes since I mentioned it, I did a pressure run-up with RL17 and the 200-NAB yesterday. I was able to hit 2700 fps, but accuracy was not good at all. Today I'll run a test between the 165-NBT and 180-NBT for accuracy and we'll see. I've shot both, a BUNCH of the 165's. But now I have a 100-yard range and installed covered bench on my property so I can really pick nits! smile

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have only one mule deer hunt, Wyoming many moons ago, under my belt. That said my goal to hunt them again is strong but circumstances beyond my control keep getting in the way. I already have my tools picked out and sighted in. I have a matched set of Winchester M70 7mmWSM's with 140 grain CT/Nosler 140 grain Ballistic Tips. I have cooked up a load that will shoot very well in both rifles. Others may question the BT's but I like them and feel very comfortable with that load. Good luck with your hunt. I'm jealous!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by ChipM

Yeah, that'd be how it worked out no doubt! Obsess and practice to 700 yds.... kill one at 150....

Just for clarification- 7 WSM isn't chambered anymore by Kimber; they are getting scarce. If I bought a different WSM and rebarreled I'd have them match the Montana contour- so weight and balance would be the same.

For informational purposes since I mentioned it, I did a pressure run-up with RL17 and the 200-NAB yesterday. I was able to hit 2700 fps, but accuracy was not good at all. Today I'll run a test between the 165-NBT and 180-NBT for accuracy and we'll see. I've shot both, a BUNCH of the 165's. But now I have a 100-yard range and installed covered bench on my property so I can really pick nits! smile

Understood and point taken but would still look to find one in 7wsm up front. I'm thinking practice to 700 and pop one at 50 yds grin

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Yes, finding a deal on one in 7 WSM, and having it turn out to be a shooter, would be Most Best.

Ran my little test today. The 165-NBT won. MV is 2925 fps average. Here's how I will hunt that load. I'll put a 165-Accubond in the chamber (yeah, I'm one of those evil "hot" hunters, grin)... if Bucky shows up at 50 yards I will make less of a mess of a shoulder. If he shows up at 500 yards, I'll jack the AB out and chamber the next round- a 165-NBT. How's that for getting nitpicky about stuff? grin

Here's how my '06 shoots those 165-NBT's. Last shot is the outlier there; it was the 10th shot (shot the 180's first) and the barrel was pretty warm. The group of (4) shots is more typical. Nonetheless here's five shots:

[Linked Image]

That'll do, pig, that'll do.... smile

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The two best points so far have been to invest in your glassing skills, and your shooting speed.

Having done a fair share of mule deer hunting in open country, I would also recommend taking the time to learn where and when to look. Big Muley's act totally different than medium sized mule deer. In addition, figure out before hand what you want to shoot. If it is going to be a nice 28" buck, you have to be willing to pass on a 24"er.

As far as rifles go, a .30-06 shooting 180 gr. Hornady BTSP will kill a big buck at 600 yards, no problem. If you want something new to you, I would stick with either the .270, .280, or .30-06 in a AI configuration. Plenty of power that is still manageable in a light rifle.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 53 invisible), 2,714 guests, and 1,093 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,312
Posts18,468,262
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.