Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
So,..still trying to get ready for an elk hunt next month.

I've read the "Furthermost Elk" thread and saw a few pics of elk in various stages of dismemberment.

My question is,..what does an elk quarter weigh? Do you guys cut the bones out and haul meat only..?

It looks like most elk are broken down into 5 or 6 good sized game bags. Is one of these bags a full load? What can a normal person schlep out per trip on a decent pack frame.?

BP-B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I shot a nice bull this year and i grabbed the front quarter, foot still attached, and moved it to some snow. It was dang heavy, but doable for most guys (I am 185#s). We took off the leg at the knee and it easily fit in one game bag. I think if you wanted a little bigger load, you could put a backstrap each in with each of the front quarters. However, I dont think I would wanna trek that too far uphill. Deboned would be much, much better if you had much of a walk. I think deboned quarters (4 bags) and one more for the backstraps is fairly doable for most guys for most hauls. Most of it depends on the hauler's ability.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Everytime we killed elk back in the back country we only loaded half an elk to one horse. So two horses to pack out one elk. Ive got a buddy who has hunted with a guy that pack 4 elk quarters out himself at one time. He must have been one tough SOB and from what my buddy said, he had a long haul a head of him. not just a couple hundred yards to the truck. When my buddy was with this guy, he tied two quarters together with about a 5 foot piece of rope and the rope around his waist. he grabbed the two other quarters one in each hand and started walking dragging the tied quarters behind him. tougher than me!

Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I killed a spike this year. It was about 1.8 miles back to the truck, and it was literally all uphill (no exaggeration). I had both backstraps, the whole head, my rifle, and my gear. It was all I could do to make it back to the truck. We stopped about every 100 yards the whole way back. I am 24 and 190 pounds in fairly good shape.

Long story short, I think one quarter + gear is one load.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Where I usually end up killing things the very last thing I want is a blown disc, a torn ACL or a broken ankle, so I don't pack my loads to the absolute max.
I am 6'2 240lbs and am in good shape for a 50 year old.

I find each of these to be a "load"

Backstraps, tenderloins neck & rib meat.=1

Shoulder, brisket, chuck meat.=2

Hind leg w/bone in.=2

Rack, cape, rifle or bow & optics.=1

That's six reasonable loads.
Loads that will allow you to cross deadfall, and negotiate the rugged, steep country that many trophy bulls call home.
Not maximums, but a load that will lessen the chance of a backcountry injury which can be devastating and possibly life threatening.

Proud NRA Life Member
IC B2

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Using the gutless method on a medium bull. Hind quarter with upper leg bones no pelvis or spine about 65# ea. Front shoulder no lower leg about 30# ea. Complete long length of backstraps, tenderloins, neck, brisket and all the assorted bits of boned off meat about 65#. This is for an average elk. Big bulls are ALOT heavier, small cows less. I can usually get out the first load of backstraps and boned meat with me my first trip out with my gear. Then 2 loads with hind quarters and the final load of 2 front shoulders.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We've done quite a few on our backs the past few years. I think our method is very similar to Salmonella's.

Rule of thumb is for a calf 2-3 carries, a cow 5 carries, a bull or a herd cow 7 carries.

Hindquarters are maybe 55-90 lbs. You need a good big pack or a canvas military duffel with shoulderstraps. We take these first because we are concerned with heat and predators.

We take both forequarters together on one load. After those are removed you can saw the ribcage into 4 pieces that will stack together really nicely to make 1 heavy load. (These rib strips are also killer in a crock pot w/ bbq sauce if you cut them so they will fit). Be careful to saw clear of the loin on both sides of the backbone. This leaves your spine with your best meat (loin) on the back attached to some of your neck (usually a later carry load that becomes grind) and still attached to sternum in a rather unmanagable chunk. From here you have to evaluate how you are transporting it and do your best to cut it to fit the pack you are using.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This year, I opted to leave the hind leg bones in, but everything else got packed. I wouldn't have done that on a bigger bull. It was a 2 1/2 year old bull and only about 240 pounds of meat. First trip was 110 lbs (weighed) with meat, gear and rifle. Next two trips were about 90 each (estimated) with minimal gear. Antlers didn't amount to much on this bull, except when I still managed to wedge myself between a couple trees -- my buddy thought that was funnier than hell smile.

Last year was a much bigger bull and it took 4 heavy trips, but that was for over 300 lbs of meat (no bone!) and cape and antlers.

It's always a struggle to decide on an extra trip and keep them easier, but I pretty much always end up opting for heavier loads and fewer trips.

BTW, I carry a couple game bags (use heavy laundry bags that I get from Walmart) AND a queen size flat sheet with me at all times -- and a knife sharpener, amongst other things. The sheet is for throwing boned meat onto and helps a bunch to keep things clean. It can also work as an extra game bag in a pinch.

Plan for success!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I also do the gutless like redtop. This year's cow:
[Linked Image]
Average elk - 3 carries. First load all loose meat with my gear. Come back light and carry a front and hind quarter. Same for third trip. A bigger animal would might mean 4 trips.

This year I got lucky and had some help because the pack was close and down hill.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mt Rushmore around here somewhere...grin

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
When you guys are doing multiple trips to pack it out, and boning out the meat, where do you put the tag?

How does it fit in with keeping evidence of sex on the animal?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
First rule, don't shoot elk where you can't get to them with a truck.

Second rule, if you can't get to them by truck, you had better leave evidence of sex naturally attached to the meat, or it won't matter how much it weighs when the Game Warden finds you.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
If a warden smokes a dude for not having evidence of sex not connected to all parts after a hunter makes a 100% honest effort in backpacking a bull off the mountain and every single anotomical body part is there he is being a complete prick.

mad

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
this is how i prefer to do it....
[Linked Image]

3 bulls killed the same morning and drove the pickup right up to them and loaded them up

Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Salmonella
If a warden smokes a dude for not having evidence of sex not connected to all parts after a hunter makes a 100% honest effort in backpacking a bull off the mountain and every single anotomical body part is there he is being a complete prick.

mad

Welcome to Montana, there is no allowance for nice guys...rules are rules and they are strictly enforced. The evidence of sex doesn't have to be on every piece of meat, just naturally attached to the meat somewhere.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
2 guys can pack a boned out cow in one trip......and it is miserable.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by Salmonella

mad

Welcome to Montana, there is no allowance for nice guys...rules are rules and they are strictly enforced. The evidence of sex doesn't have to be on every piece of meat, just naturally attached to the meat somewhere.

So if you have the rack of a bull lashed to your pack and not the nuts attached to your hams you are at risk?

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
You are not at risk, you are fined!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For me, it's 5 trips.

I start by gutting and skinning so the meat starts to cool. If I have a pocket saw with me, I also trim the legs. Otherwise I fetch the saw when I get back to the truck with the first load. Here's how it goes:

1. First trip, I take the head and all my gear. I fetch my pack and bags.
2. Rear quarter
3. Rear quarter (w/proof of sex)
4. Both front shoulders plus brisket
5. Backstraps, neck meat, rib meat, and all other loose meat

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I do keep the nuts on just for those "Johnny Do Gooder boy scout rejects" but find that fuggin ridicules.
What? I shot a cow next to the trailhead and did a switch?

LOL.
Well not really.

Proud NRA Life Member
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
265 members (22250rem, 1Longbow, 222Sako, 12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 28 invisible), 1,925 guests, and 899 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,806
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.