Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Do any of you carbon steel knife owners ever "force patina" any of your blades? I just did to one of my tool steel Case knives. This one dates back to 1974. I used several acidic applications, i.e., onion and lemon juice, and a ketchup/mustard mixture to achieve a sort of color case hardening effect.

It was given to me (because I admired it) by a friend who had recently inherited it from his grandfather. We were kids at the time. At the time, it already had a nice iridescent, deep blue, naturally acquired patina, but back then I thought a blade with a patina was just a blade that needed a good polishing, and did so as soon as I got it home, bringing it back (after lots of elbow grease) to looking brand/shiny new. Kept it that way for years with careful applications of oil after every use.

When I realized many years later how highly prized such natural patinas are on carbon steel blades, I made an effort at restoring it using a "forced patina" process. Not quite as nice as the natural one that was on it when I first acquired it, but still nice I think. Vinegar works well, too, I hear.

[Linked Image]

PS I've since offered to give it back to my friend, assuming he didn't quite understand at the time the significance of owning his grandfather's pocket knife, but he refuses to take it back, insisting a gift is a gift.

BP-B2

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Mustard can make some interesting patina

Romey
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I used several acidic applications, i.e., onion and lemon juice, and a ketchup/mustard mixture to achieve a sort of color case hardening effect.

I get that effect using mustard only, by purposely applying it unevenly. Looks great.

If I just want an even layer of patina, soaking the blade in a 50/50 mixture of vinegar and water seems to work pretty well. (Be sure to remove any oils, fingerprints, etc. from the blade, beforehand.)

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Walker
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I used several acidic applications, i.e., onion and lemon juice, and a ketchup/mustard mixture to achieve a sort of color case hardening effect.

I get that effect using mustard only, by purposely applying it unevenly. Looks great.

If I just want an even layer of patina, soaking the blade in a 50/50 mixture of vinegar and water seems to work pretty well. (Be sure to remove any oils, fingerprints, etc. from the blade, beforehand.)
You can get an irregular pattern with vinegar, I hear, by soaking a paper towel in it and wrapping the blade with the paper towel.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've used lemon juice and it worked quite well.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Rub down with fine abrasive of some kind, wash, degrease, liberal application of prepared mustard overnight, rinse off.

Last edited by LouisB; 11/07/10.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ferric Chloride will force a patina on straight carbon steel pretty quickly, like in a few minutes. That's what I use to etch damascus blades. 50/50 mix with distilled water.

DT

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
The search engine is your friend, as I put up a thread on this within the last year...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I did a Green River style knife to go with muzzle loader kit. The article I followed recommended citric acid (Fruit Fresh - grocery store)which is pretty much the same as using lemon juice. Not quite right but came out close.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
These are 3 Forgecraft butcher knives of my mother's that are fairly old. I refinished the original handles and after cleaning the blades back to shiny, decided a patina would suit them better.

Did this with several applications of mustard and vinegar, vinegar soaked paper towels, brushed on mustard, etc.

Works great!
[Linked Image]

Craig R. Collier
~Grizzly Custom Knives~
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CraigCollier
These are 3 Forgecraft butcher knives of my mother's that are fairly old. I refinished the original handles and after cleaning the blades back to shiny, decided a patina would suit them better.

Looking good at both ends, Craig. Nice job!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Thank you sir. I think I successfully rekindled the life in these old knives and I hope they last me for the 40-50 years they lasted my mom and grandma.

Craig R. Collier
~Grizzly Custom Knives~

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
111 members (10gaugeman, 32_20fan, 257robertsimp, 338reddog, 10gaugemag, 10 invisible), 1,416 guests, and 687 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,881
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.