Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I've got 11 pref points. I'm tired of sitting on 'em. I'm either going to burn them all on 1 tag, or gift half of them to my 65-yr-old buddy so he can have great mulie hunt.

So I'm looking at what my 11 gets ME, or else what's good if you have 5 points.
I'd assumed Steens or Trout Creek (for just me) but I keep hearing they are "down". I'd rather hunt a decent 5-point tag with a buddy than a 10-point tag by myself- IF the units requiring all the points are no better than decent anyway! Hope that makes sense.

You thoughts appreciated. I've been all over this state but only hunted the west side, and elk up in Ukiah and Desolation units. Love Steens as a place to be, but last time I was there the locals were pretty down on the hunting...

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Do your own homework. If Oregon has a ADFG website anything like Alaska's website, all the info is right there for you to look it. I'm well into 2+ months of research into the areas I'll put in for in 2011...

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'll just burp up what my annual reference has to say.

Steens - 33% draw with 8 pts. Very tough hunt with most hunters eating the tag or shooting a dink.

Trout - 100% draw with 13 pts. Very low desities. Tuff hunt. 170" potential.

Mt Emily - 50% draw with 13 pts. Rut dates. 170"+ bucks available.

If you do stick and string, there are some other options. Lots of points for mediocre hunts. I don't play the game in Orygun.

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks. Yeah, I have the references but I'm hoping to get some "boots on the ground" feedback from guys just getting back from this year's hunts.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
You visit Monster Muleys much?

That's where I'd look. Search thru Orygun posts.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'm in the same quandary. I've been going out of state and have 15, 14, and 15 pts for deer, elk, and pronghorn, respectively. Those should all increment up a point each at the end of this year. I'm planning to burn up the pronghorn pts next year, and the elk in 2012 if I can pull in a Wenaha tag.

My LaGrande buddies are heavily pushing the Mt Emily rut hunt. I'd still not burn mine up on the Steens or Trout Creeks yet, and the Juniper muzzleloader hunt is about 2 weeks to late to have much potential. The wife and I will be out looking our area over up through new years, so I may garner a bit more info on the Steens and Trout Creeks as time passes.

A buddy and I did see some fine bucks in a very obscure portion of the Whithorse unit during this years late August pronghorn season. They looked to have some fine potential, but probably need another couple of years to make it to whopper status. It's just plain hard for mule deer to get old in Oregon.

Last edited by 1minute; 11/05/10.

1Minute
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks much 1minute. You enjoying your retirement I hope? smile

Honestly.... a giant trophy isn't necessary here. I'd like to see animals, be in gorgeous country, and kill an adult buck.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here's my wish list.

1. Metolius late bow hunt
2. Juniper late muzzleloader
3. Trout Creek
4. Whitehorse muzzleloader
5. Steens

One of my good friends is a Steens "junkie". He's put at least 6 big Steens bucks on the wall over the years. He called me on his way back from the Steens this year. He said it was the worst he's ever seen. He passed on some marginal bucks and never did connect on one.

Oregon mule deer hunting has simply seen better days. Thankfully theres always a few nice bucks around, it just gets harder each year to find them!

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
KC, that's exactly the kind of thing I'm hoping to hear (though it's depressing). Do you know if he hunts the east side or west side?

It'll be interesting to see if this next Percentage Tags book reflects all the doom and gloom I keep hearing.

Hells Canyon area interests me greatly, as do the Eagle Caps.

Luckily I've got blacktails pretty dialed but damn it, I want to kill a couple mule deer! I wish I could afford New Mexico or Colorado... that general terrain really rings my bell. I guess that's why Steens and Trout Crk interest me.

Have you heard anything yay or nay on Trout Creek?

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Some friends hunt the Trout Creek's every year on the traditional archery hunt. They have taken some nice deer, but nothing huge. They always see a few nice bucks, and usually one or two that would be in the "huge" category.

As far as what side my friend hunts the Steens, I'm not sure.

I've hunted Hells Canyon and the Eagle Cap. I love both of those areas, but I definitely wouldnt burn 11 points on either one.

IC B3

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Yeah, I haven't looked at the stats, but I'd be looking at Eagle Cap or Hells Canyon as hunts I'd do, using my points for two hnters, IE as 5-point hunts.

On some level, what I'm pondering boils down to if there even is a deer hunt in Oregon right now worth burning 11 points on.

KC, since your buddy is 8-10 years from having the points to hunt Steens again, do think he'd be willing to talk to me about it? Email perhaps?

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I highly doubt it Jeff. He bowhunts the unit in the years he doesnt draw a rifle tag.

I dont think that there is a regular season unit worthy at this time.
I do think that if a guy was willing to bow or muzzleloader hunt there is some late hunts that would make a guy happy he waited.

Either way your never gonna shoot a mulie unless you try!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A good buddy of mine did Trout Creek this fall and ended up with a very heavy and 30" wide forked horn. It was an old buck, and a difficult hunt but he was very happy. There is potential for longer shots so do some practicing. Good luck

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
ACLakey, do you think he'd talk to me about it later this year if I decide to put in for the tag? With only 50 tags a season given out it's hard to find people who've hunted it. It would be invaluable to talk/email with someone who'd hunted it...

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A Muley hunter would be scouting it and talking to unit biologists - NOW.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am sure he would love to talk about it. Send me a PM or email and I can get you guys in contact. I don't have much info, but I know he spent a lot of time in the area and would be a great resource.

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
PM coming! Awesome!

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
What top 5 units would you choose in Oregon today? This will be my first year applying.

I'd love to build up points for a hunt 10-12 years in middle retirement from now with the random chance of drawing a really good unit today.

Please PM me if you prefer privacy.
Thanks!

"The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization"-- Emerson

Support outdoor sports and our hunting-conservationist heritage; hunt with high morals and ethical standards
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've only hunted Maupin 140 for deer, don't put in for that unit, not much public land. The guys I deer hunt with were elk hunting the Strawberry Mountains in November and saw a whole lot of trophy deer including a couple of 30"ers. I'd find out what unit the Strawberry Mountains are in and check it out.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I'm also a Steens junkie. Been hunting Mule Deer/Antelope there off and on since the mid 70s. In fact I'm burning up (hopefully) 14 Antelope points on the Steens this August.

I remember the "good old" Mule Deer days when it was 4 point or better --- It was really something; we'd see 8-10 mature bucks a day.

The number 2 B&C Antelope (at that time, anyway) was killed maybe 15 years ago just a short distance from where we hunt. I let 55 Antelope bucks ago by on my last Antelope hunt there in 2000. Saw a Mountain Lion on that trip. Lots of memories.

I also like the Owyhee. Have a 30 3/8" (no cheaters) Mule Deer from my first hunt there (1980). Always saw wild horses and tons of Jack Rabbits. On our last trip there, it rained for 3 days straight and our wall tent was invaded by giant wolf spiders. They were trying to keep from drowning by climbing the inside walls of our tent. When one dropped on your bunk --- well, it was memorable.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

491 members (10gaugemag, 16penny, 12savage, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 160user, 58 invisible), 2,903 guests, and 1,161 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,276
Posts18,467,549
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.