Print Thread
Hop To
B
burner Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I've been thinking about joining Sons of the American Revolution. I can trace lineage back verifiably to at least one Revolutionary War soldier.

As I look at the information, forgive me for sounding blase, but they want a buttload of information and time invested, plus their various fees to state, local, and national membership coffers...for what?

Do I get a magazine? A shiny plaque?

I'm not hating on them, just curious and wondering if I should take the plunge, or if I'm fine just knowing that I am descended from these guys, and don't need to pay someone several hundred dollars to acknowledge it.

I have been generally disappointed with the last few organizations I was in -- NRA, national collector car club, etc., 8th AF Memorial Ass'n, etc., mostly just seemed like excuses to go drinking or leave family at home, or in my case, to get a shiny magazine each month because I could never afford the various junkets and trips they would offer.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
my uncle has been trying to me to join . he fly's a big old flag out in front of his house with sons of the American revolution. i got all the paper work to join the sons of the republic of Texas , need to send it in one of these days

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
B
burner Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I was looking at it last night, just seems like a feel good thing to me. It doesn't look like they do a whole lot in my area. Sons of the Republic of Texas might be cool, esp. if I lived down there. I'm distantly related to Sam Houston.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'd say it should firm up your 'Fingered" status with Janet Napolitano's Loonie Platoon,......as a 'potential Terr'

dunno if that's a good thing,....

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

B
burner Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Well, one of the things they specifically list is "No one can be a member who advocates armed revolution against the United States."

Which is kinda silly coming from an organization that stemmed from armed revolution...

By British definition, all of the people involved in the American Revolution, were criminals, terrorists, etc.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm eligible for The SAR and the SCV, but never considered joining either, figuring that I should join organizations based on my own qualifications (i.e., which ever one I had earned entry into) vs. what one of my ancestors earned. Not against them, but I didn't serve in the Revolution or in the War Between the States (or WWII or Korea or Viet Nam, etc.), so I don't see the point.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

B
burner Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Makes sense to me. It was something someone had mentioned to me, and I had looked into it, but most of the SAR, etc. websites don't really go into detail about the benefit, and like you I kind of don't see the need to join to get a bumper sticker for something someone else did.

The main one I like to support is the 8th Air Force Memorial Assn. because grandpa was in it, and they are restoring a B-17 to fly around the country to show kids, etc.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
There is a building in washington D.C. owned by the cinninatus club.
This goes back to the revolutionary war if you can trace your lineage to a officer in that disagreement, which i can do.
I have often thought of doing that, but a lot of paperwork and don't see much atvantage. On the other hand, my wife can trace her lineage to a guy at the alamo, and i had a family member there too.
I have bugged her once in a while to become a "daughter of the texas revolution" which sounds kind of cool to me, but she has never submitted the paperwork.
I kind have taken the attitude i know where her people and my people were and that is enough for me.
I do know that various governments have kind of taken a dim outlook on my ancestor for not "getting along" properly enough. Oh well.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Burner, If you have a love of the 8th Air Force make your way down I9-5 to Savannah and stop at the Mighty Eight Air Force Museum. You better have 4 or 5 hours to just enjoy yourself - one of the best military museums I have ever visited. Can't miss it because it borders the interstate.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here the sons of the republic of Texas is just like any other social networking club basically. A couple of times a year you go out and unveil a new monument/marker and have lunches about once a month and have a list of contacts to call when you "need something" etc...

Everyone in my family is a member of the SRT (Sons of the republic of Texas) or the DRT (Daughts of the republic of Texas). I am now however.

If the SAR are like the SRT/DRT eventually you'll get into the politics of the ogranization and all that bickering etc...which is why I am not a member. The DRT is responsible for the Alamo and I hear enough of that bickering as is.

Otto is my co-pilot.
IC B3

B
burner Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Odessa
Burner, If you have a love of the 8th Air Force make your way down I9-5 to Savannah and stop at the Mighty Eight Air Force Museum. You better have 4 or 5 hours to just enjoy yourself - one of the best military museums I have ever visited. Can't miss it because it borders the interstate.

Been there -- back in 2001. Would love to go again. It's pretty impressive. I think I spent about two or three hours there, was on my way to Florida at the time.

B
burner Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Sounds like there isn't a whole lot to be said for spending all the time to "prove" my heritage to join. I appreciate the input.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Both my wife and I can trace our relations back distantly on our mothers' respective sides to the same Revolutionary War soldier.
VERY distant cousins it turns out!
Problem is he only fought for colonials after he was captured and given that option or prison. He was a Hessian soldier employed by the Redcoats!
Anyways, that disqualifies us from SAR/DAR membership. Seems he had to fight for the colonial side from the get-go.

NRA Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by burner
Sounds like there isn't a whole lot to be said for spending all the time to "prove" my heritage to join. I appreciate the input.

Depends. The paperwork for me was done by my grandmother for me, my dad, and my sister and we got in both ways to the Texas sons/daughters. I personally would never sort thru all that stuff but she had most of it done already and just needed to change it to their format. We share the same last name of a signer of the TX Declreation of Independance (and my grandfather had the same first name) and each male only had one son so it went pretty fast.

If you have a family with 9 siblings and people remarried and all that stuff I can imagine it would be a major headache.

Some people enjoy doing the work, some people enjoy the meetings. I've been to them even tho I am not a member. To me personally it's no different than any other meeting. You could join the local rotary, elks lodge or whatever and get pretty much the same thing out of it is my guess.

Otto is my co-pilot.
B
burner Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Interesting. I have most of it done already for me as well, thanks to my grandmother.

I have colonials on both sides, but I haven't investigated whether or not it has to be direct, or indirect. For example, Sam Houston's mother was in my family line, but I'm not descended from the Houston line, but from one of her brothers or sisters.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by burner

The ladies in our family are all in the D.A.R. I was turned down for membership.

B
burner Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Why is that?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I joined years ago. I was not looking for any benefit.........

Sam......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
the benefit is you are unique, most people in this country dont know, dont care or arent qualified to be a member of SAR. you are as american as any man can be...

same with the SCV, be proud of your southern heritage. the stars and bars and battle flag are not criminal symbols

i think the battle flag is the most attractive/catchy lookin flag ever made, yes even cooler looking than the stars and stripes

Last edited by SAKO75; 11/09/10.

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 2500HD, 6 invisible), 1,550 guests, and 707 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,536
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.