Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 14 1 2 10 11 12 13 14
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Oy, what have I done.... grin....

You blew it!................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Originally Posted by fish head
3M blue painters tape. It's 24hr campfire approved. End of story.

If anyone else recommends anything else - they probably voted for Obama.

Taken Friday night last:
[Linked Image]

Blue tape.....because anything else is second best:

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Oy, what have I done.... grin....

I'm LMAO. laugh

No offense Jeff O, but you dug a deep deep hole on this subject. laugh

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Like several others, I use the same tape on rainy days that I use on snowy days, sunny days, dusty days, etc. I thought your question was going to be how to get tape to stick when the barrel is wet.

My current muzzle tape is Scotch 88 (or 808 ?) and it is an extra sticky black electrical tape. My progressiveness has not yet attained blue tape. I did a banana peel slip into muddy water over my head while stalking a moose a couple of years ago, and though it was not raining the tape on the muzzle paid for itself that day.

One other personal preference: I use minimal tape to minimize any influence it might have, though I have never detected any influence on bullet flight. An old wolfer first got me to using tape 25 years ago. He cut round spots of tape exactly to fit the crown of his rifle and stuck a half dozen or more on his butt pad or stock. My current ones are a spot with a small tail of tape on each side.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I use plain old electrical tape, I just make sure the muzzle is completely covered, then I tape over the ends of the tape in the opposite direction so it can't come loose from the barrel, I haven't had any problems yet, been doin' it that way for years. The gas blows the tape off the muzzle before the bullet exits the barrel so nothing to worry about there, and I've noticed no change in POA shooting from a taped muzzle whatsoever.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like carrying my rifle with the muzzle up.

I'm thinkin' those little umbrellas that you get in a poofy cocktail just might work out pretty good.

Yeah, that's the ticket. grin

Great idea! Are those available in various calibers? wink

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Has anyone tried electrical tape with a muzzleloader?

Thanks,

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
225 and counting... I wuz WAY off..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Redneck
225 and counting... I wuz WAY off..

grin

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by trouthunterdj

Thanks,

ddj

Yes, works the same..................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RatherBHuntin
I've never taped my muzzle, but am hunting in MO this sat with rain in the forcast. I'll be hunting regardless of the weather since I'm only going to be there 3 days. How should I or how should I not tape my barrel to keep the rain out yet not affect accuracy. I've never shot at the range with a taped barrel so my confidence that it won't throw the bullet impact off, is a little weak. Thanks for any feedback and pics to demonstrate. What kind of tape do you recommend? RBH

I use 3M Electrical Tape...mainly because the backthrust grants a 50fps advantage.

Dumbschitt...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Originally Posted by RatherBHuntin
I've never taped my muzzle, but am hunting in MO this sat with rain in the forcast. I'll be hunting regardless of the weather since I'm only going to be there 3 days. How should I or how should I not tape my barrel to keep the rain out yet not affect accuracy. I've never shot at the range with a taped barrel so my confidence that it won't throw the bullet impact off, is a little weak. Thanks for any feedback and pics to demonstrate. What kind of tape do you recommend? RBH

I use 3M Electrical Tape...mainly because the backthrust grants a 50fps advantage.

Dumbschitt...............

wrap it with half a roll of duct tape and i bet yah gain 100fps..... grin

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by trouthunterdj

Thanks,

ddj

Yes.

I posted this in the muzzleloader forum.

"I have walked around in the woods for 12 hours in the pouring rain, and at the end of the day it fired - no problems."

-------

This year I had mine out rain for a couple of hours and had no problems with it firing either. I did have tape over the muzzle though.

I learned something this year while load testing before the season. I made the mistake of putting a bullet/sabot in the barrel before putting any powder in. I caught my mistake because I always lay out the components for a load before I begin the loading process. I brain farted, looked down and saw the pellets I was using laying there with the primer. Moving on.

I had to remove the breech plug the push the sabot through. After doing so I noticed that the sabot did not contact the bottom of the grooves in the rifling. Clean and shiny lands but dirty grooves. It made me realize that with the easy loading sabots they're NOT absolutely water tight.

FWIW.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Bottom line: In my testing with a hunting rifle and factory hunting ammo, I could detect no difference in accuracy or velocity either with or without tape.

Details:

Before I went on a hunt in October I conducted several tests with tape on and off the muzzle since the outfitter recommended I tape my muzzle. I conducted the tests with the rifle and ammo I intended to take on the hunt; these tests included velocity tests with a chronograph, and accuracy tests at 100 and 200 yards. The rifle I tested with was a Dakota 76 using Federal ammo with the 300g Barnes TSX bullet; note that I was testing with my hunting "rig," not a 1000 yard benchrest competition rifle. This rifle / ammo combo normally places 5-shots in just under 1" groups at 100 yards.

So with this rifle and ammo, I could detect no difference whatsoever in velocity or accuracy, shooting with or without black 3M electrical tape on the muzzle.

I tend to agree with people who say that the column of air in front of the bullet, when compressed and pushed through the bore upon firing, probably blows the tape off the muzzle before the bullet can touch the tape, regardless of how tightly the shooter wrapped the tape on the muzzle.

As a result I will probably put tape on my muzzle every time I go hunting, regardless of the weather.

While I may conduct the same test on a different rifle if I were to go long range prairie dog hunting, at this point I would not expect to see different results than I outlined above since I believe that it is the air column that blows off the tape, not the bullet.

Last edited by 375HH; 05/04/11.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Easy.I don't hunt in the rain.Hunting is suppose to be fun and having cold water run down my neck isn't. From my experience, animals don't like it either and tend to hole up until it stops.
I do tape the barrel though. Electricians tap. Keeps all the debris out and late season snow that may fall out of trees,etc.
And if you happen to stumble and the muzzle goes in the dirt, chances are the tape will keep it from going down the barrel.

Last edited by saddlesore; 05/04/11.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use band-aids from the first aid kit in my truck. You get 2 pieces from each one.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
3M blue painters tape. It's 24hr campfire approved. End of story.

If anyone else recommends anything else - they probably voted for Obama.

+1 on 3m Blue. It adds 200fps to the muzzle velocity, shrinks groups to MOA or better, and makes the hunter invisible to the game.

From 2010:

[Linked Image]

Seriously, while I used to use electrician's tape, I found that it didn't adhere well in cold weather. I use a patch just large enough to cover the muzzle and fold the corners down.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 05/05/11. Reason: spelnig

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Nothing , I just keep the muzle pointed down as much as possible !

Don't forget to have your Liberals spayed or neutered !
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I never hesitate to hunt in the rain. But I've never bothered with any kind of tape.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by moosemike
I never hesitate to hunt in the rain. But I've never bothered with any kind of tape.

+1 and I have never seen or noticed it other than on the net...

Jayco

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
It isn't just a guard against rain. I tape my muzzle whether it's wet or dry. And wrap a back up piece around the barrel a couple of inches below the muzzle. A mis-step, for instance, can end up with dirt in the barrel that can end your hunting day. A pennies worth of tape is cheap insurance.

Aim for the exit hole.
Page 12 of 14 1 2 10 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

420 members (12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 39 invisible), 2,006 guests, and 1,087 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,746
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.