Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
Originally Posted by dogzapper

The .243" 95-grain Ballistic was designed by Gail Root. Gail was perhaps Nosler's most talented ballistician.

Gail is and was a .243 Winchester NUT and he designed the 95-grain to be HIS big game killing bullet. Goodness only knows how many big 6X6 bull elk Gail took with the 95 and most of them with a single well-placed shot.

I know of at least one record-class Nilgai bull that Gail killed with the 85. Nilgai have the well-earned reputation of being almost bulletproof. The bull fell at the shot.

Gail also used the 95 to collect his magnigicent B&C typical whitetail.

Gail was proud of the 96=5s performance of big game; it's great penetration, superb accuracy and killing performance is amazing. This is one bullet that never had to go back for re-design.

Yes, I've killed big game with the.243 95-grain Ballistic ... maybe thirty head of assorted mule deer, whitetail, antelope and one quite decent black bear. And, YES, one raghorn 5X5 bull elk that measured about 285 B&C. I've never had to shoot any big game animal more than once and the animals either dropped in place or struggled for less than 20 yards.

The single bull elk I killed with the 95-grain fell as if electrocuted. I was using a Runger Number One in 6mm Remington Normal.

Naysayers will cuss and discuss the Ballistic Tip ... and that ain't my problem. I'm only telling you what I know for a fact and I have considerable experience with the 95-grainer and have found it to be a superb big game bullet.

Steve

PS. If I was shooting foxes, coyotes and bobcats, I WOULD NOT use the 95-grain Ballistic Tip. It is for this purpose that Gail designed the 70-grain Ballistic. Gail was justifiably proud of both the 95 and the 70 ... they each were made for a specific purpose and they both accomplish their goals wonderfully.

By the way, Gail pretty much killed stuff with two rifles. Literally ALL of his big game was slain cleanly with his .243 Winchester Normal.

And for prairie dogs, varmints of all types and predators, Gail shot a Remington 700 that he had barreled and chambered for .221 Fireball ... and he loaded 40-grain Ballistics.

Truly, many times, my friend Gail has whopped my ass seriously with his .221 Fireball rifle, while I was using my max-loaded .223 Ackley Improved. Gail will always have my total and utmost respect as a man, a ballistician and a stone-cold killer.

what do you think a 95 btip would do to a coyote, to me a heavy contructed bullet would work great on coyotes, my problem is most varmint bullets I use tend to blow up with huge exit holes.

I used a 180 BT to kill a Bobcat in 30-06 and blew a rather large exit hole. I alos blew a large exit hole in another Bobcat with a 180 TSX fired from a 300 Win. Never killed a Coyote or Bobcat with a 243

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
the critter goes right into the old Nozler Nap as I call it.

Mind if I steal that? ;O)

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
chrome,

That picture is exactly what I was looking for--thanks!

The bullet appears to be quite heavy in the base with the heavy jacket taper, which is why I suppose it holds up well on game.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dubePA
the critter goes right into the old Nozler Nap as I call it.

Mind if I steal that? ;O)

Go right ahead...grin

A while back I was hunting bruins with a fella (guiding) who was then the CFO of Noz. When we got him on a bruin he poked it with his 7 and 175 Parts. I laid that line on him, he just laughed, thought it'd show up in one of their manuals but it never did.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Alright,

Had the chance to take a button buck (thought it was a doe, late in the evening two nights ago) of about 90 lbs.

Broadside, 35 yards, 90 NBT about two inches back of front leg and midway up. Deer went 30 or so yards straight down hill, plenty of blood to follow. I was in a 15 foot tree so could have aimed lower but didn't need to. Bullet did exit. I haven't taken pics yet as deer is in the cooler, but will post soon as I can. Not bad for a "cheap" bullet going almost 3200 fps at the muzzle. Entry side and both lungs had holes about the size of an egg while the exit wound was about the size of a nickle, maybe a quarter.

I have had good results with the TSX, but if I can get the NBT to shoot as good as the TSXs, I'll save those for hogs or forget them all together.

Obviously a bigger deer might change the equation, but as long as you take good broadside shots and dont try to make the bullet do something it's not supposed to do, I have no doubt that it would be fine for about 95% of all deer hunting.

I have taken one or two with the factory 95 gain NBT load, and I will say that the difference is negligible.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dogzappper- quite a wealth of info - thanks for sharing, and thanks to whoever posted the pics of the sectioned bullet. DZ- serious question for you, did Gail Root design the first BTips's that everyone said were blowing up on impact -or did he make the improvements to it that make it what it is today? Sounds- and looks like a better bullet than I might have given credit. I know the SST's first iteration had similar naysayers - did both of these bullets really get revamped or is that internet legend? I have always shied from small caliber Btips -being scared off by said naysayers years ago. Anybody?

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Had the chance to take a button buck (thought it was a doe, late in the evening two nights ago) of about 90 lbs.

I spent money on a good bino, instead of button buck fines at my camp. grin

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by mathman

I spent money on a good bino, instead of button buck fines at my camp. grin

I know this was in jest, but I can assure you that where I was hunting it was a legal deer. Binos wouldn't have helped either, this deer was the furriest thing I've ever shot. He looked like a fuzzball. I don't know if it's the power lines running over our place or what, but his hair was very, er, fluffy. His little stubs didn't provide enough definition on his hairy head. I recently bought some Minox binos from camera land, which I used to view him before I shot him at 30 or so yards and could not tell.

We didn't notice it was a button buck until after we had tagged him, dragged him 150 yards, turned the truck lights on him and flipped him over to field dress him.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
On the button buck issue, looking at the shape of the head and body and observing behavior are probably more reliable indicators of whether the deer is a button buck or doe than looking for the button antlers, which may or may not be visible. The Arkansas Game & Fish Commission published a pamphlet a few years ago with several factors to look for to avoid shooting a button buck, but I can't find it on-line right now.

Here are some guidelines that are similar to the ones the AGFC published:

Michigan DNR guidelines for distinguishing between button bucks and does

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Yeah, shape of anything was pretty much worthless as an indicator. Like I said, he looked like he had just dry humped an electric fence. As for behavior, he was grazing just like any other deer I have ever witnessed. He was also a rather large animal for his age, at least for my area and my experience, at about 90 lbs. My average doe has been 103 lbs dressed at this place. He was the same size as the doe he came in with and was standing next to (although that could have been his twin button buck brother for all I know).

The point of my post was to clarify an earlier post of mine wondering the ability of the 90 grain version, and after this I am satisfied that it will handle most if not all of my hunting needs.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks a lot for this great information. Especially Dogzapper, Mark and Chrome. I have been pondering whether to use the 95 gr Ballistic Tip, the 100 gr Solid Base, or the 100 gr Partition for my Montana deer (and hopefully antelope) hunt this fall. The only deer I have taken with a .243 Win was many years ago with a 100 gr Solid Base, a running doe I managed to hit in the spine, one somersault, and DRT. Now that I have been enlightened, it sounds like the 95 gr Ballistic Tip should be just the ticket. My new Sako A7 seems to like it, and I am anxious to see it perform on deer this fall.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
DZ enlightened me as to what may explain my FIRST experience with the 95grain Ballistic Tip. He supplied the historical background and extensive personal experience, and so I thought for those considering this bullet, here's what happened just last year:

My girlfriend has taken a good number of Pronghorns over the past few years on our annual excursion, but never seemed to get the quick kill she desires. No horrible wounding stories, but she always wanted things a bit tidier than they've been. Has used a .250 Savage, then graduated to a .270.

This year, she carried a 700 ADL Syn Youth .243 (stock fits her great!), and I experimented on the loading bench for the first time with a 95grain Bal. Tip. I fully expected to glass bed this gun (and still might), but this bullet allowed it to shoot groups that ALWAYS stayed .95-1.05" Pretty sweet for an "econo-model" 700 bone cold stock from the box.

Tried and true IMR4350, and a Federal benchrest primer pushed this bullet at just shy of 3000 fps (even out of the short barrel).

Opening day of goat season in Montana, we got up on what we believed was a pretty good buck, and to make a long story short, got to about 90 yards from this guy, but his head was almost always in the sage. All we knew was that he was "definitely good enough". The girl crawled up slowly out of the ditch, set up prone, I got the camera running, and the buck turned broadside finally.

I have to say that having hunted Pronghorn for 46 years, and having seen literally hundreds killed with everything from .22lr to .375 H&H, this goat went down faster and wiggled less than ANY one previous.

And he turned out to be one of the biggest I've ever seen on the ground too! The clean kill made one happy girl, and one impressed guy. Unless I'm loading for varmints, this'll be the final word in bullets for me for 6mm's. Sometimes it only takes one experience to make a believer.

Last edited by Tahnka; 07/01/11.

"I have always disliked the words 'authority' and 'expert' when applied to those who write about guns, shooting,and hunting. I have never set myself up as either."
Jack O'Connor
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Here's the big goat taken with the 95 bal tip. (first try at the whole photobucket gig, so bear with me)
[Linked Image]

Yes, we shoulda mopped him up a bit for hollywood, but I don't believe there's too many here faint of heart, and after all, the reason he collapsed so fast is readily evident.

Last edited by Tahnka; 07/03/11.

"I have always disliked the words 'authority' and 'expert' when applied to those who write about guns, shooting,and hunting. I have never set myself up as either."
Jack O'Connor
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Nice looking goat, and the lady seems to be having a good time!

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
great goat! I too have just started working up a load with 95gr Btips for my Rem 700 ADL 243 Win. Used Ramshot Big Game powder, Rem brass, and CCI 200s. Loaded up 5 rounds each of 36.5, 37.5, 38.5, and 39.5. They all shot decent but when I shot the 39.5 gr group this is what I got...
[Linked Image]
I pulled the far right shot and the middle shot was the first cold barrel shot. So I loaded up 5 more rounds of the same combo to verify next time I go to the range since the wind was blowing 15-20mph. I was pretty excited to see this since I dont usually get this kind of result with my first test loads. For some reason, it always takes me a couple months of trying different combos with all my rifles to find a load that shoots well. I cant wait to try the 90gr Accubond also but I dont know why I need to when I got a load that is shooting like this from a bone stock ADL.

Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by kenjs1
Dogzappper- quite a wealth of info - thanks for sharing, and thanks to whoever posted the pics of the sectioned bullet. DZ- serious question for you, did Gail Root design the first BTips's that everyone said were blowing up on impact -or did he make the improvements to it that make it what it is today? Sounds- and looks like a better bullet than I might have given credit. I know the SST's first iteration had similar naysayers - did both of these bullets really get revamped or is that internet legend? I have always shied from small caliber Btips -being scared off by said naysayers years ago. Anybody?
my sentiments also. i wish DZ had expounded on his experience with penetration on deer with the nbt

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Thanks dz, and could you let us know about any 'overpenetration' factors concerning BIG deer and the 95 gr.? thanks

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
This is the only deer I can remember that held a 95 and we've shot a semi trailer full. 427yds, right scapula/shoulder and spine.
[Linked Image]

274 I believe, and an exit-
[Linked Image]

271 and an exit-
[Linked Image]

Love the 95NBT.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
A buddy of mine locally has shot a helluva lot of Blacktails. He uses a Mod 700 Remington in 6mm Rem and that exact bullet. Hes had it since the 70's.
He says most of those deer never moved out of their tracks when smoked with that bullet.
It just plain works for him.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"Sometimes it only takes one experience to make a believer."

I had the reverse experience. Used a l00 gr. .25 cal. bullet in the early days of the BT bullets and was severely disappointed due to blow up. Have never hunted with them since.

Nowadays I do little deer hunting so it doesn't matter. For moose have used partitions for years and see no reason to change them for something else.

I use some of Hornadys plastic tipped bullets in my .22 centrefires and they shoot well but otherwise I pretty much avoid the large caliber plastic tips.
I realize many people have had positive experiences with the BT's but the only thing I use them for (if they are given to me) is to shoot paper.

Jim

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,512 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,164
Posts18,465,273
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.