Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Disclaimer: This review is my experience, YMMV. I have not been given any compensation for this review.

Thanks to a great dad my backpacking experience began at a young single digit age. Now at age 40, I've gone on more hikes and backpack trips than I can remember. On average over the last few years I have a pack on about once a week, either for a day hike, overnight or extended trip. I hike and backpack for enjoyment and exercise. In the summer I hike and backpack on mule deer scouting trips and in the fall my trips often turn into hunts.

I first ran across Dan McHale's packs about 5 years ago on an internet forum. After viewing his website, I was less than impressed. His packs didn't have many of the "bells and whistles" of most packs found in stores like REI or Cabelas. More specifically, his pack suspension (waist belt, shoulder pads, and back pads) looked somewhat lacking compared to my pack at the time, a Gregory Denali Pro. For those unfamiliar with this pack, it is a heavy load hauler with an almost unreal sculpted hip belt constructed of triple density, thermo-molded anatomical foam and plastic stiffeners mechanically anchored to carbon fiber stays. By contrast Dan's waist belt is a simple piece of flat foam attached to aluminum stays. More on Dan's waist belt and suspension later.

Over the last few years I have been using a Gregory Z55 and Reality pack for my backpack trips and a Mystery Ranch NICE frame with Crew Cab and Longbow bags for scouting trips and backpack hunting. While I have appreciated all these packs, I couldn't escape the feeling that things could be better. For one thing, I longed for a single pack that would work for my day hikes/scouting trips, overnight trips, and week long bivy/spike camp hunts. While some of the above mentioned packs will work for all these events, all are a compromise at some point. Also, each pack seemed to have a less than ideal fit in one area or another. The idea of a pack custom built for my body and needs lead me to Dan's website again. After browsing for a couple of months I decided to give him a try.

Let me get a couple of things out of the way: First, the packs are relatively expensive, especially compared to typical packs. I am expecting my pack to run $600 to $700. Compared to other semi custom hunting packs like Kifaru or Mystery Ranch, McHale packs are still higher. Second, ordering a custom pack from Dan takes time. I've been told to expect approximately 8 weeks. This time includes fitting, testing of a demo pack, and waiting for my pack to be constructed.

Now for the good stuff.

First, You deal directly with Dan. I am 2 weeks into the process and have talked directly with Dan twice, and expect at least one or two more conversations with him. When you call McHale packs, he answers. Imagine calling Mystery Ranch and talking with Dana or calling Gregory and getting Wayne.

Second, Dan has an almost unequaled history of fitting and building packs. Your pack is custom fit to your body. The process begins with sending in a number of measurements. From those measurements Dan sends out a demo pack. With the demo in various configurations and weights pictures are sent to Dan who analyzes the fit. I have been very impressed with Dan's depth and attention to detail in the fitting process. This is not a five minute "yeah that looks good" kind of thing.

Third, you can design the pack to your exact needs. Size, shape, color, fabric, accessories, straps, pockets, etc are all on the table, so to speak. While this may overwhelm some, I have found this to be exciting and Dan is there to offer guidance and input as needed. Dan also uses fabrics like Dyneema and Spectra not commonly found on other packs.

Fourth, McHale packs have several unique design features. While his waist belts at first glance may appear to be antiquated, nothing could be further from the truth. He uses a high quality foam with (2) waist belt straps, as opposed to the traditional single strap. The difference with the added strap is noticeable. I loaded up the demo pack and my Gregory Denali Pro with 100 lbs to compare the comfort. Dan's pack was every bit as comfortable, if not more, than the Gregory, even without all the complexities. Dan also uses a bypass system for his load lifter straps. Instead of attaching the load lifters to the shoulder straps, his bypass the shoulder straps and attach at the bottom of the pack. This allows the tension of the shoulder and load lifter straps to adjusted and maintained independent of each other. Another big selling point for me is Dan's frames. He has a feature that allows the pack frame height to be extended for larger loads, or reduced for smaller loads. This feature will allow the same pack to be used for day hikes/hunts and extended trips. Since the pack is custom, I can also spec out a stronger frame stays for those 100 lbs loads when I am packing out my gear and a boned out muley.

Part II will cover my pack build process and final product.

Last edited by russ_outdoors; 11/10/10.
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Thanks for posting this, I look forward to your updates.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Is their a part 3 that will include you packing out 80lbs of boned out meat + your camp on your back? Those are the type of reviews I really like.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Is their a part 3 that will include you packing out 80lbs of boned out meat + your camp on your back? Those are the type of reviews I really like.

That's what I'm waiting for.

A real pack out, not put some weight in the pack walk around a little and call it good.

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
With any luck, I may get the chance next fall. My last bivy gear and boned out mule deer packout was 3 years ago. I was using a MR CC at the time. Pack worked great, except I had to strap stuff all over the place to get everything out in one load. I'll be honest though, that trip out kicked my a$$. I felt like I had the flu for two days afterwards.

IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by russ_outdoors
I'll be honest though, that trip out kicked my a$$. I felt like I had the flu for two days afterwards.

Sounds about right. Same for me, but it's worth it. I had a screaming headache the next day after my last big pack out.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Popping 800 mg of ibuprofen just before the hike out helps out.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Considering doing the same-

I found it interesting a squirrel could chew through 500wt cordura in a couple minutes but they could not chew through the Dyneema at all.

"Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win."

Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by B_Lance
Considering doing the same-

I found it interesting a squirrel could chew through 500wt cordura in a couple minutes but they could not chew through the Dyneema at all.

You might want to wait a month or two. Kifaru has an UL pack coming out.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You might want to wait a month or two. Kifaru has an UL pack coming out.

Really? I have not heard of this. That is going to be awesome, i can't wait! I was going to call dan in the spring but i might have to wait now. You have any details TAK?

Last edited by Big_W; 11/15/10.
IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
A guy PM'ed me last week with a couple of tiny pics. Roll-top closure (ULA style) no zippers, it does have loops for Kifaru Pods which is something very useful, IMO. That's all I know at this point. I may still wind up with a McHale but I'm going to check this out.

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
One of the options Dan and I discussed was making the shoulder straps and hip belt out of Spectra. Apparently, the salts left behind by sweat can induce small critters to chew on them. Who knew? I've never had a problem, knock on wood, so I passed and went with regular fabric. Good reason to give your pack a wash on occasion.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
One of the options Dan and I discussed was making the shoulder straps and hip belt out of Spectra. Apparently, the salts left behind by sweat can induce small critters to chew on them. Who knew? I've never had a problem, knock on wood, so I passed and went with regular fabric. Good reason to give your pack a wash on occasion.

I have had exactly that thing happen to a shoulder strap. The mouse ate the webbing and chewed up the fastex buckle though.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
So which of his packs are you thinking about getting?

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Part II.

I finished up the measuring and demo process last week. It took a little longer than I had expected. Dan is very thorough and wants to make sure he has all necessary info for the pack build. Part of the process was using the demo pack on an actual hike for 2-3 hours. As mentioned earlier, I have been pleasantly surprised at the fitting info he can get from photos. In addition, there is a DVD he has made that walks you thru the pack features. He makes sure you understand all the options.

I have ordered a 38" LBP (Little Big Pack) in 500 denier Cordura, Coyote Brown. The MR packs I have had were in this fabric and I really liked it. My fabric request was not in Dan's inventory so it was special order. He was more than willing to accommodate my special fabric request. However, he cautioned me that since the fabric was not available from his usual sources, he could not vouch for the quality. Once he received the fabric, he tested it to make sure it was up to spec.

In order to carry the occasional heavy load (think bivy gear and boned out muley) we upsized the frame stays. I also added several special pockets and strapping points. Dan was very receptive to any requests I had. I was also able to add Spectra fabric in an area on the back that my packs tend to wear at.

Also, I was up front with Dan about the pack being used for hunting as well as general backpacking and hiking. At no point did I feel he had any issues with hunters.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dan has my sheep hunt written up in his gallery section, with hunting mentioned several times. In my many dealings with him he has always been super helpful. I have two of his packs and the one I got off bay, he's altering now for a third time.
Don

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Russ Outdoors--

I brought my old thread back to the top so you can see how my McHale turned out. I really love it, although I should use it more. Some of your options sounded similar to mine. I love the panel in front for easy access. The cordura can be noisy, I'd say that's my only critique. It's very comfortable and supports a lot of load, more than I would want to carry. Good luck, I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I did put a lid on mine as well.
[Linked Image]

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Yep, I had a pack all chewed up by a porcupine when I lived in Ontario. Chewed on the shoulder staps and the padded back (it was a frameless daypack).

I should have thought about the possibility because the year before in the same camp porcupines chewed all the canoe paddles at the places your hands would be. Live and learn!

I am looking forward to hearing more usage reports! I had no idea that one could get a truly custom pack made like this. Good to know!

John

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Thanks Prewar70. Pictures of your pack on Dan's website helped me with me strap and fabric color choices. I opted for a true top loader with an oversized kangaroo pocket and 2 layer summit flap. Since Dan said it should be ready around Christmas time, I don't know who is more excited for Santa Claus to come this year - my boys or me!

I also asked Dan to order an extra yard of fabric to send with the pack. I plan on making external holders for my bow, rifle and spotting scope.

E
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
E
[img:left]http://[Linked Image][/img] [img:left][Linked Image][/img]
Don't know if these pictures will work but I've had my Mchale for 5 years and have hauled some really heavy loads in it and feel that it is simply the best piece of equipment I own. With that said when I get another one, hopefully soon, there are some different modifications I'll have done.

E
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
E
[img:left][Linked Image][/img]
One more pic, this was a heavy load, and when we got down to our cache it became even heavier. 4 days it took us to get out out packs were all approaching 150lbs. plus. I had a Mchale,one buddy had a Kifaru, the other a Barneys pack. Before we made the strip Kifaru buddy had to modify the lumbar pad and was in pain, buddy w/ the Barneys was just plumb miserable, the other two constantly had to decide what hurt worse their shoulders or waist. Once we made the strip, we had 4 days before the plane was to arrive, guy w/ the Barneys never went more than a hundred yards from the tent till we were picked up, he was pretty much crippled. I know this all comes down to proper fit, but that's what you get w/ a Mchale and proper design. Now I don't claim to be a superman, backpacker extrodinare, I don't spend 100 days a year backpacking, actually the last two years the only time I put the pack on was the day I walked away from the strip, and it's always performed just as expected. The only problem is I don't get to use it as more.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Ernie, interesting review. What would you have done differently?

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I had Dan build me a Full Dyneema Pack,It is the largest pack he makes cant remember the name offhand.I had him build it alittle wider at the bottom,had him do a double bottom,a strap inside the pack to keep meat close to your back,two large side pockets,one large center pocket,and a camera pouch but had them made out of squared kevlar?material.Those extras were from advice from Ernie Scar and checking out his pack.
Great pack no complaints.

If I were to do it again,I would probably not do the Full Dyneema due to cost,great fabric if cost doesn't matter.My pack is designed for 10 day+ sheep hunts,so I went very large.Pack extends high with bayonets and snow collar,it is compact in pic.

Attached Images
523_753_IMG_0573.jpg (71.63 KB, 1593 downloads)
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Got anymore pics Coues32? Why the squared kevlar material? What does it weigh?

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
The material might not be kevlar,I'll have to check his website,it might be spectra.The checkered material is alot cheaper then the Full Dyneema.It was very expensive to upgrade the material for the pack,so I had the extra stuff made out of the cheaper stuffI'm having fun trying to resize my photos.sorry

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by coues32
The material might not be kevlar,I'll have to check his website,it might be spectra.The checkered material is alot cheaper then the Full Dyneema.It was very expensive to upgrade the material for the pack,so I had the extra stuff made out of the cheaper stuffI'm having fun trying to resize my photos.sorry

Do you think the weight tradeoff is worth it for the Dyneema?

If you have a photobucket account it will resize automatically for you. If not download Irfanview. Its a program that lets you resize really easy. Heres a link. http://download.cnet.com/IrfanView/3000-2192_4-10021962.html

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I think the squared material is as light or lighter then the Full Dyneema,not sure on the other material offered.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
The full dyneema is heavier than the lightweight dyneema ripstop. The full dyneema is about the weight of ordinary packcloth but is incredibly abrasion resistant. I've got the full dyneema bottom and shoulder straps on mine. Having that stuff on the bottom means I don't worry about dragging the pack for short distances over rock. The grid dyneema stuff is very rip resistant but is not abrasion resistant.

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
The bonus with Dyneema/Spectra is the abrasion resistance and strength for its weight. The stuff is remarkable. However, it is also expensive and difficult to color. The Dyneema grid fabric is standard lightweight nylon fabric with Dyneema grids woven in for extra strength and tear resistance.

Dan generally provides a full Spectra bottom standard on his packs. On my pack I added a Dyneema kagaroo pouch on the back as I like to lay my pack down on its back typically. Beyond the bottom and back, I've never had any wear issues with any previous packs so I opted for standard 500d Cordura for the the remainder.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Awesome. Any more updates from your experiences? I'm thinking of getting one (or two) of his packs smile

Thanks!

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Here's a followup thread once I got the pack:

http://24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/4711476/1

I'm planning on doing Part III once the hunting season wraps up later this month.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Excellent. I look forward to hearing your part 3 smile

Best of hunting and life success!
Cheers,
CL

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Here's a followup thread once I got the pack:

http://24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/4711476/1

I'm planning on doing Part III once the hunting season wraps up later this month.
Any more updates or feedback on McHale Custom Packs?

"The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization"-- Emerson

Support outdoor sports and our hunting-conservationist heritage; hunt with high morals and ethical standards
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

162 members (2UP, 44mc, 163bc, 257 mag, 007FJ, 18 invisible), 1,745 guests, and 917 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,239
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.