Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
1234567 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I just have a few questions about these. I have seen pictures of them, but that is all.

They seem to be very much in demand for custom rifles. Is there any advantage to the square bridges, and why are they so desireable?

I know they bring a premium price.

Anyone have any pictures?

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Go to Empire Rifles inc web page and you will find lots of pictures. You can inspect and handle a few hundred at the next SCI or Dallas Safari club convention. When executed correctly they are an excited hunter proof proof and nearly idiot proof reliable X 100 action for building into a Dangerous Game rifle, thier true calling and purpose in life. Square Bridge simply alows the gunsmith to show of his skill in building a sculpted, maybe engraved or inlayed scope base and mount set up. For a practical hunting rifle, I will take a CZ with its integral dovetails for scope rings every day. Also a Ruger with the excellent dovetaisl for thier or good aftermarket bases but both actions needing a bit of slicking up and modifications to thier safeties to be A#1 DGR's.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, some weren't all that expenxive. I bought this one years ago from Legacy Sports for $350.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The price you're seeing on these SB mausers these day's. You are either paying A. high dollars because the action is old, rare and had fine workmanship like the old Mauser factory sporters or B. it's a brand new custom action and the amount of work going into it warrants the price (not the square brdges.)

I think they're a neat addition to a custom rifle but you can achieve the same thing with good scope mounts.

Terry

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
WOW, that is one NICE huntin rifle there! And at that price you should be arrested! Good grab there.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Terry is right. Not needed, but I like them. This became my 9.3X62.
[Linked Image]

Butch

IC B2

1234567 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have never actually seen one, except for pictures. I know the old, original made in Germany square bridges are extrememly expensive. Too rich for me. I was just wondering why they were so desireable. That was the reason for the OP.

On another thread, there is a link to a cover of an older Rifle Magazine that has a picture of one with engraving. IIRC, it was a Custom Gun Guild build.

It is beautifull, and I can understand why anyone would want one.

I have a custom rifle built on an FN Supreme 400 action built in the early 60s. As TC1 states, you can achive the same thing with good scope mounts, but those Square Bridges are really nice.

More pictures, if available.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
A couple extra photos of the finished rifle.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Butch

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by 1234567
I was just wondering why they were so desireable.

In terms of function, square bridges made it easier to mount scopes back in the day. As folks have pointed out, that problem has been solved.

In terms of numbers, fewer square-bridge actions were made than standard actions, so collectors pay more for them. As folks have pointed out, lots of companies make square-bridge actions today.

In terms of beauty, you just can't beat 'em.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
To elaborate on some of the other poster's comments, the square bridge was designed specifically to accommodate the scope mounts of the period, which was the German claw mount. These mounts required relatively deep cuts in the receiver ring and bridge. The double square bridge provided extra material to allow these cuts to be made, along with a nice flat surface to line up the rings, and Mauser provided them either pre-cut to take Mauser mounts, or uncut to be done by a private gunsmith later. As such, they were probably the first type of integral scope mount, however, unlike later integral mounts such as the Brno/CZ, Sako or Ruger, they were not standardized.

As others have said, their desirability and expense is a combination of rarity (in the original Oberndorf Mausers) and aesthetic appeal.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As far as I am concerned on big bore rifles, ones that really don't require or demand a scope, square bridges are simply an anachronism that hang on because they have developed a cult following. I find they make a rifle less comfortable to carry as the higher and more blocky receiver ring does not ride as well in your hand.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
798 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 12308300, 78 invisible), 3,126 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,714
Posts18,400,344
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.