Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Remington Model 37

The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Why not rebarrel your Ruger 10/22? You can get a Green Mountain sporter barrel (no need to get a new stock or enlarge the barrel channel) for ~ $140. Or, you can get a Lothar Walther medium weight barrel for ~ $200. There are several "bull" barrel (0.92" diam) barrels that shoot well for $200 and less. Get a new trigger (2.5lb pull) for about $40.

If you want "fun" and "accurate" in one package, consider it. Conneticut Precision Chambering is a good option to work on your 10/22. They have various service packages available, including threading the receiver, to eliminate the bedding block attachment (factory style). CT Precision Chambering

If you want accurate bolts, then get an Anschutz, Suhl, or Time Precision, or Walther. You can get nostalgic, and get a Rem 37, or 40x, or Brno model 4.

A Marlin 39 is a wonderful rifle. Should give 1.5" groups or so at 50 yards. Not sure if this is "accurate" enough for you. A tricked out Ruger 10/22 would shoot sub-half inch at 50 yards with good ammo (not necessarily "match").

Many choices.

Clark/Lothar Walther mid weight 1022 barrel

Green Mountain match stainless sporter 1022 barrel

Aftermarket Ruger 1022 parts/ trigger/mag release etc

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The Belgium FN made Browning T-bolt is being overlooked here. I have a 1970 that shoots 1/4 inch groups w/green tag ammo. Also have a Anshutz 1720 , and a Remington 541-S. All super fine shooters.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by wickerbill
I let three Win.52,s and two Anschutz after I got my Cooper LVT.
[Linked Image]
Here is what it will do at 100 yds.
[Linked Image]
The scope is a 24x Weaver target and it was shot with Lapua Midous M.
Bill

Indoor or outside?

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'm a fan of the TC Classic or Benchmark for semis IMHO there really aren't any autoloaders that are better for the money...In fact few bolt guns ...
On to bolt guns I really like the CZ 452 American more than the Varmint, and when I want to shoot squirrels, the Anschutz stays in the safe and out comes the CZ...every time...

IC B2

POC Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I took my Stevens 66-B "Buckhorn" bolt action to an Appleseed shoot. [If you don't know, they use the AQT scaled down for use on a 25M range].
I knew they "didn't recommend" a bolt gun, nor even tube fed S/A's. But I "gun what I brung". Several instructors noted the smoothness of the bolt. I know my Stevens 200 bolt is NO where near as smooth.
I ended up shooting a 235/250 with that gun with "bulk Federal" ammo.
As a side note: There was a 12 yo boy there with the same model Stevens rifle as I had. It was quite a chunk for him to handle. The next day he had a 10/22 and qualified also.

If anything I state appears to be medical advice, I am not a doctor; be sure to contact your family physician before making any changes in your medical regimine.
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Anschutz!

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'm partial toward the older stuff. BSA Martini and Springfield 1922M2 are the current favorites. I wouldn't mind an early M52 to add to the bunch.

Another sleeper in the "affordable" category is the old Marlin 81DL. The one I have ('twas my Pop's, got it new in 1948) will turn in sub-inch sized groups at 50 yds. with the right ammo.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sounds like you've already got quite the collection of rimfires.

I'd have to suggest a Marlin 39 or 39A. Been wanting one for a while.

If funds will allow it, a 40X decked out would be a lot of fun.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Lots of good advice hee. I have a Remington 541HB that shoots very well but I always go to my BRNO #2 when I go to the woods.
I dont' worry about the ammo and I can't hurt it. I think I paid $300 for it a few years ago and it shoot as well as my Win 52B made in 1930's.
I'm a fan of all the Remington 500 bolt guns and the 513S is a favorite.
At one time I was a 22 collector and I owned a room full. I always have to go with the BRNOs when the crunch gets tight. You can't beat them when you consider reliabilaty, accuracy and affordabilty.

Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Overdoing
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have a Cooper 57M in 22 lr (Jackson Hunter) and it is one the most accurate 22'2 I have ever owned, including a bunch of Anschutz (both sporter and target configuration), a Win 52, and a Rem 40X. The best part of it is that the Cooper is lighter and easy to carry compared to the others and is supremely accurate.

I have also owned CZ 452'2 in both the sporter and Vamint configuration, I sold the Varminter and kept the sporter because of the way it carries and handles. There was no detectable differences in accuracy between the two and the sporter just felt better to me. If you decide to go with a CZ try handling both of them before buying.

As much as I like my Cooper the CZ, for accuracy and shootability, is a great dollar value. But with that said you need to be aware that the fit and finish are worlds apart, the CZ trigger will need some work or a replacement wheras with the Cooper you can open the box, put a scope on it and start shooting little tiny groups, that is after you stop drooling over the workmanship of the rifle.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BenelliHunter
I received my Model 52 the other day and the rings were really high on it so I went to the gun store and bought some low Leupold mounts so I could snug the scope down on the rifle.

Went to sight it in.....the high rings were on there for a reason....the bolt will not clear the scope with my low rings on there! Ugh....so the high mounts are back on and we will see how it shoots another day!

I bought a new Model 52B with a heavy barrel about 10 years ago when Zanders Sporting Goods had some. It's a great rifle...really good workmanship. Anyway, I ran into the same problem you describe here. The bolt will not clear with low or medium height Leupold rings. I went with extra high and it cleared fine, and I believe there's enough room that high rings would work. I'd like the scope mounted lower too, but man it's a shooter. I got used to it real quick. Kinda looks awkward with the scope being mounted that high, but when you're punching tight little groups at the range...it doesn't matter anymore. I can comfortably shoulder the rifle and see through the scope just fine. Those guns were $599 new...wish I'd bought more than 1.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I own a Kimber 82, Remington 541T and a Anschutz 54 Sporter.
The Annie is the best of the bunch.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
a swindelhurst or turbo with a benchmark barrel jewells trigger in a mcmillan built by either calfee or don geraci

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
sounds like you are a counisuer of fine rifles! I have read all the posts here.After your first listing it is hard to come up with much to top it. A kimber super america, super grade made in oregon would be worthy additions.A savage-anschutz 54 sporter is also a must for a shooter of your means. Have a tip for you a cheap old 581 remington with a little trigger work will put itty-bitty holes in the paper too for about 250 dollars or less and I will take it to the field. congratulations on a nice array of 22 rifles.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by BenelliHunter
I received my Model 52 the other day and the rings were really high on it so I went to the gun store and bought some low Leupold mounts so I could snug the scope down on the rifle.

Went to sight it in.....the high rings were on there for a reason....the bolt will not clear the scope with my low rings on there! Ugh....so the high mounts are back on and we will see how it shoots another day!

...you "discovered" the problem with Winchester 52s... I've had 4 over the years. Two original Winchester, one Browning and one Japanese Winchester. They were all "shooters" but ended up selling them because I could never find a scope/ring/comb interface to let me shoot comfortably.

Problem #2 with the Jap made guns...the triggers while they are "adjustable" have limiters built in...they can be "modified" however so the adjustments will make a MUCH better trigger pull than the factory will allow.

As to the bolt problem. The bolt is shaped like it is because the guns were designed to be shot with peep sights or in the case of the target guns a straight 1" tube target scope that easily clears the bolt. I have seen several original and Jap made Sporters that had the bolt handle modified to clear low mounted scopes...you just have to find a good riflesmith to do the job.

For the money however mine is now on CZ. I have a 452 17" treaded barrel American, a Scout and a 453 set-trigger Varmint. That being said, the bolt handle clearance on the CZs is none to great either. A medium ring with a scope with a small ocular bell like a Leupold or older Weaver works best...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I have several .22LR files, and my most accurate is a little Winchester Wildcat, based on the Russian TOZ 78.It is scoped with a Bushnell unit. I don't mean to boast and I am not a particulary skilled marksman, but it will cut little 3 shot cloverleafs with remington target velocity .22 green box cartridges at 100 yards. I was knocking the clothespins off the corners as the light dimmed yesterday afternoon.
But, this is a budget prced rifle and I am sure the more expensive ones are outstanding.
By the way, with this rifle, this ammo drops about 5 inches
at 100 yards after zeroing at 50 yards.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

390 members (12344mag, 1lesfox, 06hunter59, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 38 invisible), 1,855 guests, and 1,035 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,602
Posts18,454,671
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.