Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
In another thread I mentioned that I had come across an article on the 260 and 7mm-08 for longer deer ranges and some were wondering about it.

It was in Nov 2010 Fur Fish & Game.

Written by Ed Hall, called "Making the case for the 260 and 7mm-08 as superior cartridges for distant whitetails", here is the article:

When shopping for a lightweight short-action deer rifle, such as Browning's new stainless takedown lever action or any of the many bolt guns, most hunters look to the .308 Winchester chambering.

No doubt, the 308 is the standard in short-action whitetail cartridges, yet the 308 family of cartridges offers some other intriguing possibilities.

The 7mm-08 Remington is considered a bit less potent and the more recently introduced 260 Remington is often regarded as barely a step above a woodchuck round. But on can make a case for the smaller diameters of the bullets in these necked-down cartridges.

The 7mm-08 is simply a 308 case necked down for a .284 bullet, and the 260 is the same case necked down ever more to accept a .264 (6.5mm). A cursory examination of typical bullet weights for the cartridges, the muzzle velocities and muzzle energies, seems to bear out the idea that these cartridges lag behind the 308. However when each is loaded with the best in modern streamlined bullets, weight for weight, the 7mm-08 and 260 will catch up to, and eventually deliver more downrange velocity and energy than the 308.

But first, a little refresher course on why the 308 remains one of our most popular hunting cartridges, about equaling the .30-06 in performance, yet from a short-action platform.

The popular 308 bullet weights for deer are 150, 165, and 180 grains. The 180-grain bullet is actually designed more with elk in mind, while the 150-grain is the one made specifically for deer. The 165-grain is a nice compromise.

The 150-grain 308 bullet is likeliest to realize ideal expansion on deer-sized game, perhaps because of softer construction or maybe just the fact that it is traveling considerably faster than the heavier bullets. Regardless, the velocity and bullet mushroom balance to give penetration with full energy transmittal on a whitetail.

If there is any question that a 150-grain 308 is enough for whitetails, consider that many a veteran elk hunter uses this load. And while some hunters may use the 150-grain for elk, a much higher number reversely opt for the heavier 180-grain bullet for deer. Perhaps built tougher and certainly starting slower than the 150-grain bullet, a 180 may not fully mushroom in deer. But even so, it expands plenty enough to anchor any whitetail, and it almost always exits to produce a good blood trail. Since the 308 delivers adequate energy for elk, it clearly carries an overabundance of energy for whitetails.

Big game cartridges from .270 to .338 similarly offer a couple of bullet weights, one lighter for deer and one heavier for elk. The choice often comes down to higher velocity for more shock or more weight for a better guarantee of penetration.

The smaller diameter and lighter 140-grain bullet most often loaded in a 7mm-08 does smack of less potency and the 260's even smaller "standard" bullet is sometimes seen as being barely adequate for deer or antelope. However, longer 150-grain bullets can be loaded in both the 7mm-08 and the 260, matching the preferred whitetail weight in a 308 bullet, and though launched at somewhat lower velocities than the 308, these longer, slimmer bullets in the same weight produce a fair and interesting comparison of all three cartridges downrange.

Why do some weight bullets leave the same 308 case with slightly less velocity? Perhaps an analogy can be made to a big-block automobile engine.

All else being equal, a wider piston in a fatter cylinder delivers more force. It's the same with rifle bullets and barrels. The 308 case used in all three cartridges may hold the same amount of powder and thus deliver the same "push". But the smaller diameter bases of the 7mm-08 and 260 bullets are less effective at capturing this push, simply because they offer less area to push against, all else being equal.

The 308 launches a 150-grain bullet at about 2,820 feet per second. The 150-grain bullet from a smaller diameter 7mm barrel leaves the muzzle at about 2,750 fps. The even smaller diameter 150-grain 260 bullet exits at 2,660 fps.

These numbers fall right into line with the common overall perception of the three cartridges. But the seldom considered point is that the narrower bullets, if nicely pointed, have higher ballistic coefficient than the equivalent-weight, but fatter 308. The smaller diameter that gave them a slower start also allows them to better retain energy as they fly downrange, due to less wind resistance.

The slimmer 7mm-08 and 260 bullets eventually catch up to the 308, and some where between 300 and 400 yards, may surpass the downrange energy of the 308 even though the 308 left the muzzle with more energy due to higher velocity.

At closer range, say, out to 200 yards, all three deliver an abundance of velocity and energy for whitetails. It's only at longer range that we become concerned that any of these cartridges might no deliver enough punch. Yet when using the best-shaped bullets, at 300 yards, the 260 and 7mm-08 have pretty well caught up to the 308. And at 400 yards, both overtake the 308 in terms of velocity and energy.

At 500 yards (a distance included here just to prove a point, not to suggest a realistic range for hunting whitetails), both the 7mm-08 and 260 lead the 308 by 50 fps and 50 foot-pounds.

The bullet path for the three cartridges is virtually equal right out to 500 yards too, and the smaller diameter bullets suffer a bit less wind drift. (All data from the Sierra Infinity Suite ballistics program)

Of course there is something to be said for the fatter 308 bullet too. A fatter bullet expands into a wider mushroom, delivering slightly more energy on target.

In the old days, smaller diameter bullets were considered just too narrow for dependable expansion. But today's better-built premium bullets pretty much work perfectly regardless of diameter.
Nowadays, the advantage of a 308 over a 7mm-08 or even a 260 in terminal performance is splitting hairs. In reality, it just doesn't matter anymore.

If you may ever hunt elk or moose with that new rifle, you might want to opt for the 308, to have the option of heavier 180-grain factory ammunition, or to perhaps handload a 200-grain bullet.

For deer however, the 7mm-08 and 260 produce less recoil and concede nothing significant in performance, as long as bullets of comparable weight are used.

Sounds like a winner to me.

And don't rule out the 7mm-08 for larger game. It will deliver a 160-grain bullet for elk or moose, and with less recoil than the 308. The 160-grain all-copper Barnes MRX bullet has no lead core and no lead in the nose to wipe away as it forms its mushroom.

It penetrates with all 160 grains while a conventional 180-grain jacketed lead 308 bullet likely loses 10 or even 20 grains during expansion, actually penetrating with less weight than the 160-grain 7mm copper bullet.

The final point favoring the narrower bullets is that edge in wind drift. The differences aren't big, but yes, the longer narrower bullets drift less.

I haven't included the new 338 Federal in this comparison, even though it is actually a 338-08, because it's lightest bullet weighs 180 grains. It is a tremendous 200 deer thumper. But to get a decently high ballistic coefficient with that diameter, the bullet mush be heavier, 225 or 250 grains, and that's just not a long-range deer bullet.

The same can be said of the 358 Winchester, also a .35-08. It may be a superior, light recoiling cartridge for elk in cover or even at moderate open country distances, but it needs too heavy a bullet for superior long-range deer performance.

I also didn't include the smaller .243 because of its truly small diameter. A 100-grainer is the established "deer" bullet for the 243, and we surely aren't about to load it wit ha a 150-grain bullet for comparison purposes. Still, at 300 yards, the 243 can deliver 1,200 foot-pounds of energy with a well-shaped bullet, maybe not enough for elk by most standards, but plenty of punch for a whitetail. And bullet performance with the 243 can be virtually guaranteed these days with premium bullets.

Bullet makers have done wonders perfecting core and jacket construction. Many cores are actually bonded to the jackets. Nosler's famed Partition bullet has enjoyed a reputation for guaranteed performance for years. The Barnes all-copper hollow point is guaranteed to mushroom readily and not come apart.

Newer designs with plastic ballistic tips and some with heavy tungsten bases promise exceptional performance. These premium bullets maximize terminal performance, mushrooming well at a wide range of impact velocities without any risk of too much expansion at close range.

But not all premium bullets are created equal either. Some manufacturers do not seek to maximize long-range performance with streamline design. Even the little flat at the point of some premium bullets steals considerable ballistic coefficient, robbing long-range punch. If you wish to maximize long-range impact and flat trajectory, check the BC of a bullet.

Actually, a well-designed .25-08 might make a dandy deer cartridge, with just a bit wider base than the 243. And some might say we already have it in the .257 Remington Roberts, a once-popular wildcat and than a factory load that has all but faded away.

Do you remember the 6mm Remington as being early-on competition to the 243? When it was originally called the .244 Remington, it had problems with rifling twist for heavy bullets, and the 243 prospered while it floundered, even though the newly named 6mm offered a bit more velocity because it used a slightly larger 7x57 parent case.

This case was also used for the 257 Roberts, and it should slightly outperform a .25-08. But the "257 Bob" was originally loaded somewhat lightly for minimal recoil, and with round-nosed bullets. The hotter-stepping 243 with more streamlined bullets simply pulled away.

When you look at the adequate punch of any one of the 308 family of cartridges, it is perhaps difficult to justify the blast and recoil of bigger loads- not for whitetail deer anyway.

The trend today is toward lightweight rifles, and recoil is an important factor. Nothing against the venerable 308, but with the right bullet, I would take a 7mm-08 or a 260 Rem for deer.

Last edited by BlackFrog; 11/12/10.
GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Except for the fuzzy facts, it isn't that bad.

Which 150 grain 260 bullet can keep up with a pointy 308? No pointy 150s are produced for the 260 that I know of, so his supposed comparison is invalid on a practical level out of the gate.

At 500 yards, the 308 has lost out by 50fps/50ft-lbs according to the author. Wow--let's really strain those gnats! Hope all barrels are created exactly equal......

Then the bait and switch--the 7mm can use a monometal bullet for penetration but that must be compared to a C+C in the 308. C'mon....

And the 243 is not included due to being a "truly smaller diamter." Hmmm.....the others are not "truly smaller" I guess?

Needed to sell an easy article--everybody's gotta make a livin' somehow I suppose.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

And the 243 is not included due to being a "truly smaller diamter." Hmmm.....the others are not "truly smaller" I guess?

That caught my attention too... Like the 260 (which I do love) is fantastic, but the difference between a 260 and 243 is so great that the 243 is "truly small diameter"?

Last edited by BlackFrog; 11/12/10.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
the 243 winchester is a smaller diameter bullet no doubt but it is one long range deer killin machine if you put the bullet on the mark......

broken bones broken heart stripped down an torn apart a lil rust but Im still runnin countin miles countin tears twisted roads and shiftin gears year after year its all or nothin Im not home and Im not lost just holdin on 2 what I got...God and Guns
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've shot deer with a 243 and a 260 both, just using standard bullets and I can't see any difference in performance. He kinda lost me with the 50 fps and 50 foot lbs. statement.

`Bring Enough Gun`
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Musta been a slow news day. You know, they've got to write about something.
He started to lose me when he started talking about how popular the .308 was. And I stopped reading when we got to the 500 yards 50fps and 50# of energy part.
I think the .260 and the 7-08 are tremendous cartridges. I own and have killed deer with both of them. However, we don't need another half-assed writer promoting long range deer sniping.

Aim for the exit hole.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by stillbeeman
Musta been a slow news day. You know, they've got to write about something.
He started to lose me when he started talking about how popular the .308 was. And I stopped reading when we got to the 500 yards 50fps and 50# of energy part.
I think the .260 and the 7-08 are tremendous cartridges. I own and have killed deer with both of them. However, we don't need another half-assed writer promoting long range deer sniping.

+1, totally agree.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I hunt with both, particularly the 260.

If they have any superiority, it would be that they simply work without a lot of mess or fussing around with them...

especially on deer, 100 to 500 yds, they will work just fine, and with recoil that almost anyone can handle, even women and kids..

they are potent enough for Elk even...

yet they work fine on varmints if that is you cup of tea...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ol' Ed mention killing anything with any of those calibers in the article? I kinda dozed and drooled about the middle, forehead on the keyboard made it scroll down...

I know the 120 gr. Accutip Rem load was a death ray around here for us, and several WTs killed with 150 .308s produced softball sized exit wounds at woods ranges.

As usual some dropped at the shot with heart lung shots and others staggered a few yards and died. Even from itty bitty .243s

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I feel like I just scanned a Chuck Hawks article.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
yeah, the engine anaolgy got lost and wwas never finished, and the thoughts are not well-developed. this guy knows what he wants to say but it isn't getting through.

his point is taken. but he needs to stick to the beginning two cartridges and stop wandering, make a solid point based on a few facts and then fill it in with real world experiences.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
yeah, the engine anaolgy got lost and wwas never finished, and the thoughts are not well-developed. this guy knows what he wants to say but it isn't getting through.

his point is taken. but he needs to stick to the beginning two cartridges and stop wandering, make a solid point based on a few facts and then fill it in with real world experiences.

I can't tell from the article if he has any real world experiences. I strikes me as an article that could be written based on google searches without ever using any of the cartridges mentioned.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

are not More bullets available in 7mm ?

I read that article thinking about what I could put into a AR-10

Spot

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like ANY cartridge based on the 308 case. They are all good. Superior is only an opinion and am not delusional enough to think that the 308 based rounds are superior. Good - yes, superior - debatable.

RH

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
me too, all this foolishness about which is better ends when the bullet hits the bone, and even with a coreloss bullet its dead deer everytime if you actually shoot your rifle a bit and can hit something with it..first you have got to get off the sofa and go hunting however.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
himmelrr - considering the 'original' design parameter of the .308 Win./ 7.62 NATO was to replace the venerable .30/06 in automatic weapons (due to its shorter length and pretty close ballistics)speaks volumes on just how RIGHT it is. The .308 Win has spawned the .243 / .260 / 7mm-08 / .338 Fed / .358 Win (and plenty more left out) leading to this discussion. Have several of the above and IMO they're all good. Regards, homesteader.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
When shopping for a lightweight short-action deer rifle, such as Browning's new stainless takedown lever action or any of the many bolt guns, most hunters look to the .308 Winchester chambering.

No doubt, the 308 is the standard in short-action whitetail cartridges, yet the 308 family of cartridges offers some other intriguing possibilities.

The 7mm-08 Remington is considered a bit less potent and the more recently introduced 260 Remington is often regarded as barely a step above a woodchuck round. But on can make a case for the smaller diameters of the bullets in these necked-down cartridges.

i stopped when i added browning ss take down and less potent..

woofer

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
You made it further than I did, before laughing... the "browning new stainless takedown lever action" had me in guffaws and the rest just added to the hilarity.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (1lessdog, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 1234, 66 invisible), 2,825 guests, and 1,172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,341
Posts18,468,725
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.