Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Just... relaxed...

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by WGM
point is, "big whatever" was/is a stupid conference name to begin with ...

how about the Big Overrated Conference? nah....I guess they wouldn't pick that.

Rust Belt Conference lacks cache'......Obama States Conference?

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dixie_Dude
Did a little research. The Times-Herald newspaper in Newnan, Georgia, on September 23, 2009 recorded a city council meeting with Cecil Newton and Melvin Cooper (the general contractor) hired by Newtons church. The submitted plans to bring the church building up to code. At that time the church had the money to proceed with the work once it was approved by the coucil. So this was BEFORE Auburn recruited Cam Newton and 5 months BEFORE he signed with Auburn.

The guy that was "supposed" to be representing Cam Newton is under investigation by the FBI for fraud already, and his business had filed for bankrupcy. He needed the money. So, I think all this stuff is just stirring the pot by someone who has a vendetta against Auburn. This local news paper story was never reported on the national news. If Newton wasn't elligible, Auburn wouldn't keep playing him. Why would they? Doesn't make any sense. If anything is true, why hasn't proof been shown, like hotel bills and registration when the Newtons were supposed to meed with this guy.

I'm not sure how it can be a vandetta against Auburn if it was reported to the SEC before he ever signed with Auburn. Auburn knew about the MSU situation before the season ever started. The only "Auburn" question is why the info is coming out now.

I doubt we ever know all the facts and who knows when the NCAA will ever rule on anything. I wouldn't be surprised if the NCAA doesn't say anything about it before next season. Long enough for Cam to be in the NFL making millions, long enough for the SEC to reap the benefits of having two teams in BCS games, long enough for Malzahn to land a good head coaching job, long enough for people not to care when the truth finally comes out.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ok ... since we're now back on the Cam situation ... here's my bottom line.

Cam's dad, Cecil, has now admitted to asking for money for Cam to play at MSU. As far as I'm concerned, Cam should be declared ineligible, regardless of whether or not Cam knew anything about it. Why? Because if you're the NCAA and you don't rule that way, you have widely opened the door for any potential college player to have a family member (or someone else close to them) to ask for money for them so that they can say "I didn't know they were doing it." ...

I know it's harsh, but that SHOULD be the way it goes ... at least for now with the rules in place as they are.

That said, even though having Cam be declared ineligible would bode well for LSU, I don't want to see the kid suffer if he's truly innocent ... or any other kids who may have people go behind their back and screw them over... but what good are rules if you can't/won't enforce them?

-WGM-
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by chrome
I've been to over 25 UGA vs AU games....

Its like two brothers fighting in the back yard, it can get very nasty........

Yep!

War Damn Eagle!

IC B2

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by WGM

Cam's dad, Cecil, has now admitted to asking for money for Cam to play at MSU. As far as I'm concerned, Cam should be declared ineligible, regardless of whether or not Cam knew anything about it. Why? Because if you're the NCAA and you don't rule that way, you have widely opened the door for any potential college player to have a family member (or someone else close to them) to ask for money for them so that they can say "I didn't know they were doing it." ...

I know it's harsh, but that SHOULD be the way it goes ... at least for now with the rules in place as they are.

That said, even though having Cam be declared ineligible would bode well for LSU, I don't want to see the kid suffer if he's truly innocent ... or any other kids who may have people go behind their back and screw them over... but what good are rules if you can't/won't enforce them?

Yep.

Hell, if the NCAA is going to blast Jeremy Bloom for making money on endorsements he had long before college at Colorado, on something completely unrelated to football, they damned sure ought to blast the Newtons for this.

Not saying that either is right or wrong, but if one is going to get penalized, the other damned sure ought to as well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WGM

I'm going to clarify here...and this does seem to be a point that is of importance from what I've heard. Cam's dad said (admits) the issue of money was discussed. It's not been said who first brought it up. IOW, he is not reported to have admitted to asking for money, it's reported that the issue of money was discussed. I think it would be a huge difference if MSU sent someone (Rogers) to contact Newton and float the idea, vs Newton letting it be known his son was for sale and looking for takers.

I know this...whether Newton sought out someone, or someone was looking to hook up Newton up...Cecil Newton didn't mean Kenny Rogers by accident.

Last edited by .280Rem; 11/14/10.

War Damn Eagle!

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
RIIIIIGGGGHHHTTTT............

It's just all so "coincidental".

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
RIIIIIGGGGHHHTTTT............

It's just all so "coincidental".

Who said coincidental? What you don't think schools/boosters look to buy, and make the first move?

War Damn Eagle!

WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jim, if that hasn't been clarified, it's only because someone very stupid is responsible for asking the proper questions ...

and I'm with Sean ... NONE of this is coincidental, and I don't see how anyone - even Cecil Newton - would omit such an important aspect such as "THEY brought up money, not me!" ...

Let's face it ... Cam may not end up being declared ineligible, but by rule he should be ... no two ways about it.

-WGM-
IC B3

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
No, only that the Newton's would turn down $$ at/from MSU or other schools to go to Auburn for nothing, right?

Because, we all know now that Cam is such a stellar academic mind, of course...

Excuse me, not "coincidental"... "Circumstantial".

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WGM
Jim, if that hasn't been clarified, it's only because someone very stupid is responsible for asking the proper questions ...

and I'm with Sean ... NONE of this is coincidental, and I don't see how anyone - even Cecil Newton - would omit such an important aspect such as "THEY brought up money, not me!" ...

Let's face it ... Cam may not end up being declared ineligible, but by rule he should be ... no two ways about it.

I'm almost 100% certain the parties that need to know, know that detail. It's not been reported.

And then there's this other misguided notion that all NCAA infractions result or should result in ineligibility. You might want to study up on that. That ain't how it works. UGA was playing a player that sold a game jersey to an agent. AJ Greene. He's eligible. UGA, NOT the NCAA sat him out of caution. He committed an NCAA violation, actually several, where money changed hands. He's playing football.

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No, only that the Newton's would turn down $$ at/from MSU or other schools to go to Auburn for nothing, right?

Because, we all know now that Cam is such a stellar academic mind, of course...

Excuse me, not "coincidental"... "Circumstantial".

Whatever brother.

War Damn Eagle!

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Ah, so the "well, they do it so we can, too", and "we need this ***** to win us a title, so play his lyin', cheatin', theivin', money-takin' azz" card comes into play.

Cool.

Good to know.

Good to know, as well, that it looks like Cam got held to the same high academic and ethical standards that other students looking to enroll at Auburn are held to.

Wait, that'd be the second card in play again, wouldn't it?

I hear Lawrence Phillips has a nephew JUST like him; helluva ballplayer... How much does a good RB cost again?

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
I am wondering whether we'll get the "da man iz jes tryin' ta hol' us down" retort if/when Newton is ruled ineligible.

At this point, I'd not want to wager on the over/under.

Considering my school put forward those bastions of moral fiber, the Vick brothers, yeah, I can understand the rationale behind "needin' them bruthas to win us some games" and the "we stooped to WHAT level?" disconnect.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ah, so the "well, they do it so we can, too", and "we need this ***** to win us a title, so play his lyin', cheatin', theivin', money-takin' azz" card comes into play.

Cool.

Good to know.

Good to know, as well, that it looks like Cam got held to the same high academic and ethical standards that other students looking to enroll at Auburn are held to.

Wait, that'd be the second card in play again, wouldn't it?

I hear Lawrence Phillips has a nephew JUST like him; helluva ballplayer... How much does a good RB cost again?

You've gone off on a crazy tangent that isn't making much sense now.

What I can tell is this. You absolutely believe every allegation made, AND you believe some that haven't even been made yet. That's your right...it's just opinion.

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think it is alot like NASCAR. Everybody cheats.

And I am an Auburn graduate.

War Eagle!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Best money ever spent!!!! wink

All we do is win! grin grin

WAR EAGLE!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Regarding the Iron Bowl, as close of a game as it always is, the favored team wins the vast majority of the time. There are rarely any upsets. That doesn't mean much, just saying.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by OldCenterChurch
Best money ever spent!!!! wink

All we do is win! grin grin

Hell yeah!

War Damn Eagle!

Page 16 of 16 1 2 14 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

82 members (35, 257robertsimp, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 01Foreman400, 13 invisible), 1,355 guests, and 831 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,059
Posts18,463,249
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.