Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I purchased a NEF 20 Gauge full rifled bull barrel break open single shot to hunt deer here in Southwestern Michigan which is a shotgun/muzzle loader only area. I purchased some Remington Buckhammer slugs to sight-in with. I was planning on using Remington or Hornady sabot slugs but was very impressed with how accurate the cheaper slugs shot. The trajectory is good enough for the area that I hunt so I plan on sticking with this ammo. Do any of you have any first hand experience on the performance on deer with these slugs? I'm sure it's fine but I'd appreciate some first hand opinions. Thank You.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's a slug gun, shooting a 7/8 oz or 1 oz slug into a deer's chest cavity. There isn't a deer on the planet that will stand up to one. Even cheap Foster-type slugs are great on deer up to 100 yds or so. Slugs work well on deer, I just hate using them because I grew up shooting shotguns at birds and rifles at deer. This isn't nearly the debate on projectiles that rifle bullets can bring out. If they shoot well and you like them, don't worry about spending more on different ammo, use what you have and kill stuff!

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
When I was a test shooter at H&R I was amazed at how accurate both the 12 and 20 gauges shot the Buckhammers. One big ragged hole groups at 100 yards was common. I have used my 20 with SSTs and they worked fine but I would have no problem using the Buckhammers. I equate them to my .54 Renegade with 435 gr. Maxi-balls and I know how devastating they are on deer. Thinking about it, I would compare the results of the 20 gauge SSTs with my .50 cal. inline using the 250 gr. sabot and a 100 gr. charge.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Only ever tried them through my son's 20 guage Mossberg with poor results, but we've never really had much accuracy out of that rig regardless of what we fed it. Good luck with your choice.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
My son used them out of his H&R tracker II, 20 ga. They were accurate and really put the "whoopass" on deer.

That being said, every slug gun is different. I'd get as many different 5 paks of slugs that I could find, and shoot them. Go with the most accurate out of YOUR gun.

maddog

IC B2

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
i bought a box to use on hogs,didn't use them because of illness. This year I bought a 35 Remington,so i still don't know anything about the buckhammers

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I got em for my gun but haven't shot any deer with them yet.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tried them for the first time in my Ultra slughunter 20 gauge last year. They shoot great groups out to 100 or so. Took two deer with them, both does. They hit with authority. Lung shots, both exited. First deer hit the ground within feet. Second jumped up and fell in 20 yards. So far so good.

Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool !!

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target".

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
A few years ago, I jumped on the chance to hunt Illinois (public land). I bought a replacement (Hastings) cantilever scope mount barrel to go on my 870 and 4 boxes of different ammo. In my setup, the BuckHammers were the mose accurate. I used them to effect on deer for 3 years. All were one shot kills. The longest tracking job was all of 30 yards. Ranges were from 30 yards to just under 100

Recovered one BuckHammer....

Interestingly, the Lightfield Hybred slugs shot to the same P-O-I

I did not like range testing the slugs.

burt2506

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by burt2506

I did not like range testing the slugs.

burt2506
A little stiff, aren't they?!!! LOL!!

IC B3

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
My friend loves the buck hammers.I don't no about the 20GA.But he shot a 8 pointer a few years back with a 12GA.Shattered both shoulders and blew the top of the heart to pieces. The deer rolled down the side of the mountain.Game over!!From what I Gathered there hot A$$ slugs.More knock down power than most sabots.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jasonlemire31
My friend loves the buck hammers.I don't no about the 20GA.But he shot a 8 pointer a few years back with a 12GA.Shattered both shoulders and blew the top of the heart to pieces. The deer rolled down the side of the mountain.Game over!!From what I Gathered there hot A$$ slugs.More knock down power than most sabots.

Sorry to hear about what happened to your friend. What did it do to the buck?

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Shaman I re-read my post.Maybe you just can't read.Most smarter people will get it.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
shaman, unless you were being funny, I think ya need to re-read the post. whistle

Your experience with the buckhammers, are the same as my son's, devastating on deer.....

maddog

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've never shot a deer with them, but they have always been in the top 2 slugs for accuracy in any of the 3 slug guns I tested them in. I've tried alot of what's out there and these are the best bang for the buck. They do have quite a pop to 'em too compared to several other brands.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Several years ago, 5,6,7? I aquired a Rem Cantilever fully rifled 12 guage barrel for my 870. I bought maybe 15 or 20 different boxes of slugs and tried them out in my new barrel.

While my old smoothbore with a rifled Remchoke liked the 2 3/4" magnum Slugger, my new barrel does between 2 1/2" groups (with Remington Copper Solids) and 2 foot groups with some pretty pricey stuff... until I tried the Buckhammers. I got cloverleafs!!! Terminal effectiveness has been incredible as well.

I haven't retested with anything since then because I've been pretty happy with the results. However since that time, Remington's "Core-loct Ultra Bonded" and "Premier Accutip Bonded" have been developed and look pretty tempting too.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I know for a fact the buck hammers will make a bigger mess than the Remington core-loct.You don't need to slow expansion for deer.It's all BS!!My father shot a buck with the winchester partition gold sst's.We found the bullet on the opposite end of the hide by the neck.NO expansion at all!!Look at the water tests with remington copper solid's on y-tube.Again!! no expansion.For shotgun slugs I"ll take a foster slug all day over crazy priced sabot crap. If you compared a hit with foster slug or sabot,The sabot shot takes a hell of a lot more time to find your deer.Just wait for them to get a little closer!I'll take pure lead to the bank!!

KMS Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
JEEZ! I got the joke. Why didn't the other two posters after you? smirk

Good one, shaman! grin

Last edited by KMS; 10/31/10.

Kelly
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Opening day of Michigan Firearm deer season, 8:00am, meat for the freezer! As the OP author I found out first hand about the Remington Buckhammers. No deer last year so I was very happy to have a big she deer step out in my cloverfield and at 40 yards I let her have it. High lung shot right where I was aiming and the hair flew like it was snowing. Amazing that she ran fifty yards after taking the hit. Massive blood trail with two rather large holes ventilating her chest cavity with one rib broken on entry and two broken on exit. Looking forward to trying those Buckhammers on what else, but a nice buck!

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I had a range test day with various slugs out of my T/C Encore 12ga rifled barrel. The BuckHammers were brutal and kicked like a mule with the lite Encore. Actually cracked the stock at the frame screw. I was only about 18 miles from T/C in Rochester, NH and they gave me a free stock right on the spot. They even did the labor to replace the broken stock. Haven't fired another hammer since. I have a Remington 11/87 12ga but just a little bit frightened to try the Hammer again.

Ken

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (1OntarioJim, 10Glocks, 1234, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 60 invisible), 2,612 guests, and 1,116 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,314
Posts18,468,326
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.