Hop To
Page 6 of 17 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 16 17
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by KRAKMT
Kelk,
Thanks for chiming in. Montana's general season is 36 days long.
The elk tag comes with deer and upland game, and we are still cheaper than most states around us according to this opinion piece-http://www.mtstandard.com/news/opinion/columnists/article_ebf45746-52f8-11df-927d-001cc4c03286.html?mode=story

I'd love to have a 36 day season. Instead we've got to plan to get it done in 5-9 days with a rifle in hand. We've got 4 rifle seasons, plus MZ, Plus Archery and numerous late season cow only. There are exceptions and leftover licenses but for the most part its 1 species per year except for doe's and cows. Once you hold an antlered tag for any species you cannot hold another one in the same year. I don't know if MT or WY are different in that regards.

Our fee's are as follows for Non Residents.
$544 for a bull tag.
$354 for a cow tag.
$329 for a deer tag.
$56 for a small game tag.

Looking at MT's fee, I'd think you have phenomenal value. Been trying to get up that way myself sometime to hunt. Wy too.

I do have a bud that comes out to elk hunt with us every year from WI. His trip total including tags, travel, from door to door is $1500. I'd think that's easily attainable for most folks.

If I want to hunt WI with him, it'll cost me $160 for the license but then I'd have to come up with $2000 plus travel expenses to get onto their lease.

Shut up and hunt!
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
you can hold tags for all antlered and horned species from speed goats to both deer to elk and moose to mountain goats and bighorn if your lucky enough to pull the tags for all of them in one year but i doubt anyone has done that....this year i have tags for a over the counter buck(either mule deer or whitetail, licence is good for both) a special draw speed goat tag and the normal elk tag which isnt good for the special draw area i hunt but i did put in for a bull elk in that area but im one of about 350 ppl competing for 10 tags....

Last edited by rattler; 11/18/10.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I moved to MT, many yrs. back, to enjoy the fine hunting. I hunted MT as a NR for many yrs. prior to moving here. The prices to hunt have continually increased, in all states mind you. I must say that the NR $$ do bring in lots of revenue and some added jobs to MT. The increase of tag $$ is but a small price to pay in the large scheme of hunting. It does not mean that MT regards the NR as merely a revenue enhancement scheme. There is plenty of public ground to hunt here. For all to hunt I must ad. When I lived on the east coast I hunted sea ducks, puddle ducks and geese during the fall/winter season. Sea duck hunting has turned into a mostly outfitter sponsored hunt. I had seen this coming! BTW, getting permission to hunt waterfowl on private property on the east coast is very difficult. Let alone hunting big game on private property. Let's face it. If you want to hunt, you are going to have to pay to do so. I do not necessarily agree with it. But, I am aware that this is the norm these days. Now that I live in NW MT I enjoy some fairly good hunting. The waterfowl hunting is good to excellent. The upland game is good to excellent. The big game hunting is great! Plan ahead for your hunting goals. It will not get any better than it is now. Let's face it. The politicians, crooks IMHO, will increase fees exponentially as time goes. MT FWP are doing the best they can with what $$ they are allotted and private land owners are the ones who pay the taxes on the land they own. Both entities have worked well together in the past to make hunting in MT a success. We welcome NR hunters, fishermen, tourist and all. Come enjoy what we enjoy. But, we too must pay as all. MTG

Vena dura, ocyus occide, excusas non offer!
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Just want to make sure I didn't confuse anybody so I wanted to clarify.

What I meant is that a resident here can hold 1 bull tag and 1 buck tag, but no matter how many additional buck/bull tags end up on the leftover list, we can only hold one a year.

In MT or WY can you kill more than one buck/bull a year?

I look at hunting out of state in this way. CO is my home and when I leave this state I'm entering someone else's home. I therefore respect the fact that I need to play by their rules and I completely respect that. I am a guest of that state after all.

Shut up and hunt!
T
TMR Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Montana's increase really shouldn't come as any surprise. They are inline with Idaho and Wyoming now. They have been the "value" hunting spot of West for years. I'm not real happy about the increase, but I am more unhappy about the elimination of outfitters tags. Lots of Montanan's relied on those guarantee tags for hunters coming in. I own a home in Montana, pay property taxes, support the local school programs, donated $$ to the street projects in the community. I have become friends with alot of the ranchers and outfitters in the area over the years and know the new bill hurt some of them. BTW, I do put in for the draw and pay Non-Res fees every year...just wanted to make that clear. The extra $200 doesn't bother me enough to not apply, hell I save that much on the cheaper priced fuel there vs. Washington's prices.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
gotcha, i misunderstood...think that rule applies here aswell as ive not heard of anyone through any special drawing wind up with a second buck or bull tag....however FWP will damn near beg yah to take more doe tags for alot of areas...think they are willing to sell me up to 6 but i dont like doing that much butchering when yah figure at the moment there are already 3 hunters in the house.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Kelk

I'd love to have a 36 day season. Instead we've got to plan to get it done in 5-9 days with a rifle in hand. We've got 4 rifle seasons, plus MZ, Plus Archery and numerous late season cow only. There are exceptions and leftover licenses but for the most part its 1 species per year except for doe's and cows. Once you hold an antlered tag for any species you cannot hold another one in the same year. I don't know if MT or WY are different in that regards.

Our fee's are as follows for Non Residents.
$544 for a bull tag. (MT2010 prices) $643 Elk A comes with deer A and upland game and fishing.
$354 for a cow tag. MT 2nd cow tag $278
$329 for a deer tag. MT $343 Deer A comes with upland game and fishing.
$56 for a small game tag. Upland game-$110

A general elk tag lets you hunt bull elk where ever there is not a specific permit required. A few districts limit to spike only or cow only. Each district has specific game management rules. The general DeerA is similar. Usually you can shoot either species either sex deer. Some districts limit doe harvests for management reasons. I can't think of any special areas that allow for second bull or buck if it happened it would be a special management issue limited if ever.
My brothers generally hunt the doe surplus non-resident tags which are $75.

So we have heard from Utah and Colorado, we know Idaho raised their tags last year and I know Wyoming did away with guaranteed tags.

Last edited by KRAKMT; 11/18/10.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I guess I'll put in my two cents worth,I come to Montana to hunt on my own land most years.

I leased the place to an outfitter in exchange for a tag every year.

Now I'll have to try to draw a tag just like every other nonresident.

I'll miss coming every year and it doesn't seem fair that I'll be paying property taxes on land that I can't hunt.

I bought the place for hunting and I'm wondering if it's now worth less than I paid for it because it is less valuable to a nonresident buyer like me.

I'm still tryin to figure it all out. I really wonder if the referendum was really intended to stop guys like me from coming to hunt ,or if I am just the victim of unintended consequences.

I leave for Montana this afternoon,and I hope it's not my last trip for a while.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ruraldoc

I guess I'll put in my two cents worth,I come to Montana to hunt on my own land most years.

I leased the place to an outfitter in exchange for a tag every year.

Now I'll have to try to draw a tag just like every other nonresident.

I'll miss coming every year and it doesn't seem fair that I'll be paying property taxes on land that I can't hunt.

I bought the place for hunting and I'm wondering if it's now worth less than I paid for it because it is less valuable to a nonresident buyer like me.

I'm still tryin to figure it all out. I really wonder if the referendum was really intended to stop guys like me from coming to hunt ,or if I am just the victim of unintended consequences.

I leave for Montana this afternoon,and I hope it's not my last trip for a while.

for the record, as a resident, ive got no problem with a nonresident land owner getting a guaranteed land owner tag to hunt their own property....it is after all your property....

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by ranger1
And now DINK has illustrated why many people dislike NR hunters. You can't go to someone else's home state with a feeling of entitlement and expect a warm reception. All the talk of federal lands and tax dollars won't make you any friends here or anywhere else. You're a guest in another state, have some manners. Most of us could make a great deal more money if we lived in another state but we choose to live in MT. Speaking for myself, I put up with the low wages because I get to enjoy living in the last best place in the lower 48. I can walk out my front door and be hunting in some of the best country on the planet. If you'd like to have the same nobody is stopping you from packing your kit and heading west - I hear Bozeman is the place to go.

Why does a resident feel he is entitled to hunt deer on federal ground for a fraction of what it cost a non-resident? By working in a populated area I may or may not make more money but if I make more money I pay more taxes that pay's for the federal land. Why should a resident get to deer hunt for $16 and I have to pay $527? If I have already paid more taxes and now I get to pay a premium to hunt deer on public ground that I have already paid a larger portion for than a resident has.

Why does the game and fish think I need to fiance them? I have a game and fish derpartment that I am fiancing here.

I could move to montana (and hope both of my boys do) but then I would paying less taxes than I do now.

Like I said I don't paying extra for a tag but this is just wrong.

Dink

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
we dont pay a trespass fee to hunt the federal ground and neither do you......the ground is free to use by anyone from anywhere year round not just during hunting season.....the tag is for animals managed by the state, the feds aint the ones doing the managing of deer on federal land, they leave it to the state....

and to be perfectly frank we would rather the feds turn the federal land over to the state and they keep their money....federal land is what got us the [bleep] wolves.....

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
+1 Sheridan...BIG TIME...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by rattler
we dont pay a trespass fee to hunt the federal ground and neither do you......the ground is free to use by anyone from anywhere year round not just during hunting season.....the tag is for animals managed by the state, the feds aint the ones doing the managing of deer on federal land, they leave it to the state....

and to be perfectly frank we would rather the feds turn the federal land over to the state and they keep their money....federal land is what got us the [bleep] wolves.....
Rattler,

I'd even add that maybe he ought to stop hassling us western guys and start leaning on the Feds to establish more public land in his own state.

I took away from his post that he feels he's paying for his own G&F and yours too. I'm thinking he probably forgot about all the NR's that fund his G&F. To me its a classic case of him wanting his cake and eating it too.

BTW, wish the feds would leave CO too and take their hand picked Game Commissioners with them. We really need the CDOW folks who actually work in game management in charge and not a bunch of high powered execs hand picked by the gov........

Shut up and hunt!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
his federal taxes pay for the land....i dont argue that, however the state tags pay for the deer and elk.....outside national parks or federally protected species the feds dont have jack chit to do with game populations on federal land......

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Except
That many of the federal lands were purchased or retained for specific purposes that were not hunting.
The national grasslands were expressly created for grazing yet people bitch about the grazing.
School trust was created to benefit schools not hunting.
It is much more complicated than I pay taxes so I should get to hunt public land for free.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
yep......find it funny that they think if the management on the game is turned over to the feds that his tags will get cheaper.....i think ive come across federal wildlife officials twice in over a decade of hunting federal land and they were checking on black footed ferrets they turned loose in a prairie dog town on federal land....see the state guys, or atleast their trucks most weekends even outside hunting seasons....

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Dink, perhaps you would do well to move to MT. Then you can earn lower wages, pay lower taxes and hunt the very abundant public land or your land indeed. You will still have to pay for a School Trust Land access fee as we do. BTW Dink. You are welcome here in MT. Another resident tax payer, besides your land taxes, would bolster the MT economy. Have you heard? Montana is 1 of 2 states that has a surplus in their coffers. If we, MT residents, hunt other states we pay the going NR fees as all NR do. It is not a matter of MT being selfish. The fact is that all states are increasing NR fees. Get use to it. It's not going away. BTW, I pay taxes on two pieces of MT property. One is my residence, the other is in the "Breaks Country". Both are taxed. I don't get a property guaranteed tag each year as you have in the past. It would be great to get an elk "A" tag to hunt in this zone. But, like all I have to put in for the draw as all do. Plus, when I do not draw, haven't for 6 yrs. now, I still have to pay the county property taxes. We are both MT land owners. You have had the good fortune to get the tag you wanted thru an outfitter guaranteed tag in the past. I have not! Now you cry foul! I don't get it!

Vena dura, ocyus occide, excusas non offer!
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
MTGunner I am not a land owner in montana. I don't mind paying extra for a tag being a non-resident. I have a problem with the game and fish (or whom ever) thinking that because I am a non-resident that they can rape every last nickel from me because I can't cast a vote in montana.

I know you guys pay taxes just like I do but if there was no federal ground the state would not have any game there to manage.

I do not think that the feds should manage anything but if the ground was bought and taken care of with everyones tax money why should I have to pay 33 times as much for a tag. Thats crap in my opinion.

Dink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
hunt deer in Texas.....major cost aint the tag its getting on land.....here you get the land for nothing and get a tag for less than a lease in Texas.....

once again your taxes paid for the land....the tags pay for the animals....your taxes aint paying for the animals....your getting what you pay for.....you can come up here and be on federal ground and not pay the state a dime other than whatever state taxes are on the gas you buy at the gas station....you really miss the whole point....the state aint charging you a dime for hunting on federal land, your paying the state for the critter that is being managed by the state no matter where it chooses to live....

critters move on and off private, federal and state lands.....why should you get a break to hunt critters on federal land that might spend most the year on state land or private?

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Exactly how do you think these federal lands were created. They rarely were purchased, but rather retained at the time of statehood.

Originally Posted by DINK
I know you guys pay taxes just like I do but if there was no federal ground the state would not have any game there to manage.

Ummm really? So the concept that wildlife being public whether on Federal, State or private ground is completely lost on you?

Page 6 of 17 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
86 members (99Ozarks, 10gaugemag, batch, 257robertsimp, 12 invisible), 1,621 guests, and 734 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,758
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.