Print Thread
Hop To
M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Was over looking, and ran into another one. No reserve.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=191748600

maddog

BP-B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I find it hard to believe Ruger will leave this (7x57) out of the #1A lineup for an extended period of time.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Went for $881 plus actual shipping.

For a used black pad with "a few handling marks".

Not exactly a bargain.

I hate when they don't specify shipping, you're at their mercy.

Last edited by Freedumb1; 10/05/10. Reason: spelling

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer but how he hunted it.
AJD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I also thought it went high. But if you want one, there ain't that many for sale.

There is no accounting for taste.

Experience is a great thing as long as one survives it.

Generally, there ain't a lot that separates the two however,
Barely making it is a whole lot more satisfying than barely not making it.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Freedumb1

Not really. I contact the seller and discuss it and get that settled; BEFORE I bid.

RECESSION: when your friend loses his job.
DEPRESSION: when you lose your job.
RECOVERY: when all these bad politicians lose their jobs.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ppcshooter

Not really. I contact the seller and discuss it and get that settled; BEFORE I bid.

"Actual shipping" is better than "plus shipping" (unspecified). At least you can check that yourself and resolve discrepancies should they arise. I never nit-pick fair a realistic shipping and handling costs (but I also refuse to let a shipper try to pad his losses, if any, by adding it on there.)

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ppcshooter
Yeah, really. A fair number of Gunbroker "sellers" keep the shipping amount an open-ended question and use that as a means of making up any perceived shortage on their final sale. It doesn't make a damned bit of difference how much you've "discussed" BEFORE you bid.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
AJD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It is always a good thing to get as much tied down in writing as possible when dealing with unknowns, it helps to keep from having misunderstandings, and helps to protect both parties.

People have a way of "forgetting" the details over time.

If you know them, and trust them, and want to deal on a handshake thats different.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AJD
It is always a good thing to get as much tied down in writing as possible when dealing with unknowns, it helps to keep from having misunderstandings, and helps to protect both parties.

People have a way of "forgetting" the details over time.

If you know them, and trust them, and want to deal on a handshake thats different.
I don't care how many deals you've made or have dreamed you've made, some dickhead always has a way of throwing a kink in it. Yes, hammering out the terms for a deal before making a financial commitment often works well when all parties are honest and above board, but not all parties meet those standards. That's reality.

AJD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't disagree. What I am saying is among those "honorable" people, if it's tied down it helps to avoid misunderstandings.

If they are slimy then it really doesn't matter, you're screwed.

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
actual shipping is up to the PO not the seller. any Idiot can calculate the shipping as you know their zip and hopefully know your own.all you need is the weight and size of the package which you can figure out pretty close you will only be a few dollars off.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Hubert
actual shipping is up to the PO not the seller. any Idiot can calculate the shipping as you know their zip and hopefully know your own.all you need is the weight and size of the package which you can figure out pretty close you will only be a few dollars off.
Right, BUT there are a lot -- and I mean a LOT -- of unscrupulous "sellers" who are angling at making a dollar off of everything. If the gun sells below their target price, then they want to roll that loss into the cost of shipping the gun. And these same people are ALWAYS vague about the actual cost when questioned before bidding. They won't divulge the size or weight of the box and it's guaran-damn-teed that whatever you estimated as a cost will be WAYYYYYYYYY off their stated cost. One example is Marty Mabry of Fort Worth, Texas. (He's a perennial Gunbroker "seller.") That prick wanted $40 to ship an 8-pound rifle a distance of 180 miles. I estimated it shouldn't weigh over 12 pounds and have a package dimension of over 52" x 12" x 8" and would be insured for $800 which would cost (at the time) a maximum of $21 from UPS (his preferred means of shipping). When I pressed him on the discrepancy in prices, he agreed that my figure was correct, but he had to pay someone to pack the rifle for him, buy the box, etc. No thanks.

1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought one from this seller two days ago. He told me the shipping cost the next day and it was very modest. He is in the business and seems both eager to please and reputable. If he proves other-wise, of course, I'll let you know.

I guess I have been lucky as I've not been stung yet. To include, a seller who mistakeningly wromngly described a rifle in hias ad and took it back with all my expenses returned.

Happens a lot though. I hear from the guys in the business that gun fraud leads all other categories of internet sales swindles. I always check the feedbck on a seller.

1B

Last edited by 1B; 11/19/10.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 1B
I bought one from this seller two days ago. He told me the shipping cost the next day and it was very modest. He is in the business and seems both eager to please and reputable.
If you're talking about that Mabry character, I've gotta ask how long have the two of you been a couple?

$40 to ship a f*cking 8-pound rifle 180 miles up the interstate is neither modest nor the mark of someone who is "eager to please and reputable." What a load of sh*t.

If I can ship an AC556 back to Ruger in New Hampshire -- from Oklahoma -- insured for $5K for under $50, there is no f*cking way any reasonably SANE, reputable "businessman" is going to convince me that it costs $40 to ship a rifle 180 miles. Sorry, but I ain't buying that BULLSHIT for even a second. That Mabry prick even admitted he was trying to cover his overhead that he didn't make off the actual sale of the rifle.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
717 members (12308300, 160user, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 89 invisible), 2,698 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,696
Posts18,399,917
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.