Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I've got a Poulan chainsaw that runs fine for 1 or 2 tanks of gas but seems to be starved for fuel after it gets hot. After filling it with fuel it will fire sporadically but will not run. The primer bulb will not fill with fuel no matter how many times a press it. The next day when the saw is cold the primer bulb will fill with fuel and the saw will start easily.

I know, I know....buy a Stihl.

Can any body help me get the Poulan running so I can put off buying the Stihl a little longer?

Thanks in advance!

"There's no schadenfreude like Hillary Clinton schadenfreude."
- Tamara Keel
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Fuel filter and air filter. Cheep fixes.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
POC Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had something similar with a Craftsman, which should be nearly identical. I've replaced the bulb and all hoses and the gas cap. It still does the same thing.
I use my dads Stihl...

If anything I state appears to be medical advice, I am not a doctor; be sure to contact your family physician before making any changes in your medical regimine.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
your mix might be to lean. Some of those saws just shut off before they overheat.

I would look for an upgrade. Lowes or Home Depot sells decent chainsaws cheap.

Sincerely,
Thomas

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by savage24
I've got a Poulan chainsaw that runs fine for 1 or 2 tanks of gas but seems to be starved for fuel after it gets hot. After filling it with fuel it will fire sporadically but will not run. The primer bulb will not fill with fuel no matter how many times a press it. The next day when the saw is cold the primer bulb will fill with fuel and the saw will start easily.

I know, I know....buy a Stihl.

Can any body help me get the Poulan running so I can put off buying the Stihl a little longer?

Thanks in advance!

You just keep poulan on it, and poulan on it, and poulan on it.......
(that's what the repair shop guy said about my dad's Poulan 30 years ago.... grin )

And yes, try a new fuel filter, or carb kit, or replace the fule line.

What year and model?

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Vapor lock on a lot of these models, both Poulan and Sears. Small McCullouchs were famous for it too. The fuel tank is placed too close to the cylinder, the chainsaw gets hot with use, boiling the fuel into a vapor. Next time, take the fuel cap off and see if the gas is bubbling like boiling water. I had a Sears (Poulan) that worked just fine if used cold, or cooled down between uses. About as useful as tits on a boar; I gave it to the guy down the road.
Stihl's, Echos, Huskys, Jansered, don't have this problem. Better design, better saw. You get what you pay for.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Clean it
Make sure all sawdust is away from:
Fuel lines, carb, gas cap.
Sounds like a vapor lock issue

Make sure your fuel is spotless clean
as is your filter
Is your cap vented?
I've had small engines with plugged vents
and they will drive one nutz

Make sure you use Stabil
gas now adays sux and turns to varnish very quickly.

Or hire a Mexican to cut it for you ! LOL

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Or try this. grin
[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
a few minutes of that and I wouldn't need fire wood.
The cardiac ICU is kept at just the temperature,and has pretty nurses!

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I was cheating with that picture. The wood was cot with a chain saw and about 2/3 of that 4 1/2 chord stack was split with a hydraulic splitter. I did a bunch by hand but less than a chord. It is good exercise but a guy in his 60's need to work a lot slowed than he did in his 20's. In my 20's I could split by hand all day.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks for all the replies! It is actually a Sears Craftsman (made by Poulan). The saw is about 10 years old. I've cleaned the air filter recently and replaced the vented fuel cap earlier this fall. The vapor lock diagnoses makes sense to me. I'm going to clean the saw real good and see if I can get it running cooler.

"There's no schadenfreude like Hillary Clinton schadenfreude."
- Tamara Keel
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Sometimes they get hotter than normal because they are not getting enough oil.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
When time comes to buy a new one look here. Best Saws Made Today.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I also have heard good things about those Dolmars. A good site to go to know more than you need to about anything chainsaw is here: http://www.arboristsite.com/ . (They are like the 24hourcampfire of Chainsaws. grin )

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Probably not your issue, but I had a lawnmower that when it was hot the coil would quit sending a spark. Have you pulled the plug when it won't run to see if you've got spark? (I guess you did say it fired sporadically when hot)

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Vapor lock is what it sounds like to me too, and it may be running a little on the lean side to get it that warm in the first place. Never had that problem with my Stihl or Husqy, but did with an older Canadian 270.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Probably not your issue, but I had a lawnmower that when it was hot the coil would quit sending a spark. Have you pulled the plug when it won't run to see if you've got spark? (I guess you did say it fired sporadically when hot)
This was what I was thinking too.

I thought about you yesterday when we were down at Joplin. We were heading home and some dude had "Liberal" on his vehicle-the town not the mental deficiency. I thought, "I wonder how 'ol Cheesey is gettin' along. Then my mind wandered back to usual thoughts of needin' to yell at one or both of my kids or dodgin' deers or some such.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

This sound counter-intuitive but try choking it.

I bought a new Husky last year after running Stihls for years. Had the same problem. Service guy told me to choke it. That solved the problem.

Let me know if that works.

www.paracay.com

It's better to live rich than die rich. Live simply so that I may simply live large.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Spanokopitas

I bought a new Husky last year after running Stihls for years. Had the same problem. Service guy told me to choke it. That solved the problem.

If you have to choke an engine after it is warmed up and during regular use, you have a problem with your fuel mixture settings. The choke is for starting only. After it is started, it should run smoothly without the fuel being adjusted externally.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by ColeYounger
Originally Posted by Spanokopitas

If you have to choke an engine after it is warmed up and during regular use, you have a problem with your fuel mixture settings. The choke is for starting only. After it is started, it should run smoothly without the fuel being adjusted externally.

I agree. The only thing that might have happened if the saw ran completely out of gas before it was refueled, it may need a little choking to get the fuel up to the carb, but after that, it should choke itself to death.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12344mag, 55 invisible), 2,300 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,243
Posts18,466,901
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.