Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4611199 11/19/10
D
dbettis Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Anybody know anything about these? I just bought a Ruger Compact on the classifieds and the gun has one of these on it. It's a 1.5-4.5X i think. Never had one or wanted one and will probably sell it here. Got any idea what it is worth?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
There the best scope Tasco made.

Last edited by 3dtestify; 11/19/10.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Can't advise on the worth, but the reports I have read and heard were positive.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by dbettis
Anybody know anything about these? I just bought a Ruger Compact on the classifieds and the gun has one of these on it. It's a 1.5-4.5X i think. Never had one or wanted one and will probably sell it here. Got any idea what it is worth?

I have had a 1.5-6 Titan on my .460 Weatherby for 15 years. I have never been able to hurt it and my .460 has been shot considerable more than the average .460, or any dozen of them combined.

John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter

I have had a 1.5-6 Titan on my .460 Weatherby for 15 years. I have never been able to hurt it and my .460 has been shot considerable more than the average .460, or any dozen of them combined.

John

John,

Have you ever considered a career in the UFC?

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
had one on a 376 Styer, lasted 3 shots before the reticle broke

D
dbettis Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Well, thanks for the input. It's on a .308 so that should be fairly easy on it but I would just as soon have a staight 4X Leupold on it. Maybe someone who has had some luck with them will buy it. I don't trust it.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
i've always heard tasco referred to as "trashco", maybe wrongly?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Good scope. I never see any 2nd hand. Guess all the owners still have them. You won't have problems selling it.

Last edited by Tophet1; 11/20/10.
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter

John

John,

Have you ever considered a career in the UFC?

I have reached the age where the saying, "If he look to old to fight, he will probably just kill you" applies.

As an aside, I have another Tasco scope called a "World Class Plus" which has also been on the same rifle for 15 years. It is made in Japan and not available in the US I believe, and I was told by an ex Leupold rep that it has the same lenses and turrets as the Leupold Vari X iii series. If you put the two side by side, I think the Tasco is slightly better. It has never changed zero nor had a problem.

The US version is an el cheapo version, called "World Class" usually made in Korea or China. It is not the same scope.

John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I understand there were at least two generations of Titans. The first was made by a European company for Tasco, I think it was Zeiss. And they were apparently a very good scope.

The second generation were NOT made by a top-end company. wink

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
The first generation had an indicator on the center of the windage and elevation knob to tell how far off center that adjustment was in the scope.

D
dbettis Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Sounds like I need to at least check it out before I send it down the road. If Zeiss made it.....Anybody got a clue what they're worth?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One owner on another forum awhile back said Japan mfg. stamped GTG, but those w/China stamped, not so good. Former is said to have been made to compete SxS the best IIRC. It was the 1.5-6x42 that was discussed in that thread fwiw.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Here is a link with a discussion of the tasco Titan scopes:

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/1023179/2

As I understand they were made in Japan or in China. The best were the ones made in Japan. They were never made by Zeiss or any European manufacturer that I know. Hope this helps.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RickF
I understand there were at least two generations of Titans. The first was made by a European company for Tasco, I think it was Zeiss. And they were apparently a very good scope.

The second generation were NOT made by a top-end company. wink

Japan manufacture does make more sense. I have a friend who loves the early Titans, runs nothing but. He's the one who tells me they were Euro produced. Not sure I have the heart to tell him his Bavarian scopes are Nipponese! smile

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought several of the variable Japanese Titans, one 6x Euro-Class, and two 6x world Class Plus scopes at a going out of business sale about 1996. The 30mm Titans and Euro-class were as good as any scope I could find at that time. I still have the 6x42 WCP one inch scopes mounted on Knight muzzleloaders. I sold the Titans and Euro-Class last year on E-bay for a lot more than I paid for them. There is a cult following for the Japanese Titans in particular. I never had one issue with any of these scopes, but optics have improved in the past 15 years, so I've mostly moved on. IMO the newer Chicom Titans are junk!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DAMARA
i've always heard tasco referred to as "trashco", maybe wrongly?

The Jap-scos were good scopes for the money and pretty tough. The later ones are...well...not as good. eek

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
A 3-12x52 30mm Euroclass was included on a rifle I bought at this weekends gunshow. Its stamped made in Japan. I am really surprised how clear it is.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (10Glocks, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 19rabbit52, 49 invisible), 2,318 guests, and 1,182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,090
Posts18,464,038
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.