-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I shot my Scar 17 for the first time yesterday. I shot it along side with my LMT 308 for a good comparison.

The Scar is much lighter and handier than the LMT. The LMT is a solid brick of a rifle. The Scar's muzzle brake is very good and reduces the recoil to less than my LMT which has a flash suppressor but not a brake.

The SCAR's trigger is basically awful. Gritty with 2 noticably catches before it lets off. This may have added a good bit to the group size. The LMT comes with a very good 2 stage trigger and I put a Geisselle in mine. No comparison here. Bad vs Great trigger.

Accuracy was 1 to 1.5 moa out to 200yds using a scope (borrowed off the LMT). My LMT has had good but not great accuracy, it's very consistant around 1 MOA 5 shots for the first few hundred rounds but is starting to shoot even better groups getting closer to 1/2-3/4" range, lots of groups with 3or4 in 1/2 and one to open them to 3/4". Maybe the SCAR will start settling in like the LMT. It doesn't seem quite as accurate yet but a lot of that might just be the gritty trigger.

Only having 1 mag for the SCAR sucks. I called FN and they don't sell them. One of the numbers they referred me to doesn't sell them anymore. I hope C-Products gets theirs to the public soon.

At the moment I see the SCAR as just beginning it's cycle. Extra Mags, better grips, trigger improvements are probably on the way but not here yet. The rifle shows a lot of promise and I love the way it handles, lightweight and ergonomic stock. It still has a way to go to be where I want it but it will probably get there.

The LMT is solid as a rock and far easier to shoot well due to it's vastly superior trigger and superb overall ergonomics. Great mags are available for it cheap, P-Mags, C-products and the not as cheap but very nice CMMG's. I like it a lot heavy though it is - it got it's scope back smile

l-r Scar 16, Scar 17, LMT MRP 308

[Linked Image]

......................dj

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
GB1

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Shooting 1 to 1.5 MOA out to 200 yards is not bad at all! To bad about the trigger, hopefully someone will come out with a decent after market one. That really sucks about the mags. FN should have made it compatable with the DPMS ones. I was really suprised find that it weighed less...cool...doesn't look like it though smile.

I support world peace...one carefully placed round at a time.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (10gaugemag, Akhutr, Anaconda, BallisticBRYAN, 11 invisible), 1,570 guests, and 811 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,202
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.