Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
With a nod to the OP, bsa1917hunter, here is a pic of a Tikka I bedded in Devcon titanium a few years ago. It was by far the most complicated bedding job I have ever undertaken, and the most expensive given the cost of the titanium based epoxy. It came out pretty well, but probably missed my goal of keeping the weight down. I say "probably", because I stupidly forgot to weigh the stock before bedding it. It is about a half pound heavier than another Tikka 595 stock I have, but some of that may be due to differences in the wood, so I don't know how much weight the bedding added. Those 595s are great shooters, but no lightweights. I can't say that this bedding job improved the accuracy. Again, I neglected to do any real before-after testing. As the pic shows, I bedded the funky separate aluminum recoil lug right into the stock

Paul

[Linked Image]

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Wow, that is nice. Where did you get the titanium putty? Is it expensive?

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'd have to say wow too. Very nice job Paul39. Thanks for the nod too, bsa.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The absolute best and most durable bedding job I've ever experienced on a severe use rifle was Devcon Titanium with a skim bed of Marine-Tex performed by USMC 2112s. Quite a few 2112s were fired from this operation due to mastering the technique and the expense of the Titanium Devcon. When performed correctly, it is bomb proof.

Best:)

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
A bit of perspective. It's been a few years since I tackled this project. Like I mentioned, I was trying to keep it light and strong. It is a 7mm-08 used for hunter class silhouette at the time. It's also my nature to tinker and experiment, trying new things. Sometimes that works out well, sometimes not.

I had a fair amount of experience with epoxy and bedding before this job. The Devcon titanium putty seemed to be like other Devcon metallic putties in texture, but it seemed to have a relatively short working time, starting to stiffen up in the pot fairly quickly. Once hard, it wasn't difficult to cut and shape with conventional tools, end mills and Dremel bits. May be rough on the tooling, but I really don't know much about the technical details.

For me this is moot, a one-time event. I am feeling my age lately, and am less inclined to tackle new or complex tasks, and money is tight. Although I recall the Devcon titanium as being pricey a few years ago, a quick search showed it to now be from $75 to over $100 for a one pound kit. You can get it through various industrial suppliers, and possibly Brownell's. I can't envision a need that would lead me to spend that kind of money.

That said, what GaryVA reported about its use by the USMC says a lot. It probably makes for about as bomb proof a bedding job as is possible with any epoxy product. If I were building a DGR or some other rifle for heavy or critical use, and the cost of the epoxy was a minor part of the overall expense, I'd probably choose the titanium.

Hope y'all find this helpful.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

477 members (160user, 17CalFan, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 222ND, 1Longbow, 38 invisible), 1,735 guests, and 1,095 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,229
Posts18,447,718
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.