Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Hammer1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

What is the opinion of the learned-group concerning the comparison of these semiautos ?

Remington 1100
Remington 11/87
Benelli M2

Is the Remington 1100 an ancient design that has outlived anything but nostalgic use ?

Or is the 1100 the most tried-and-true semiauto there is ?

Has the 11/87 overcome all the shortcomings of the 1100 ?

Or what shortcomings are you talking about ?

Is the Benelli semiauto so far advanced that considering other semiautos is foolish ?

What is the official opinion of those that know ?

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
good question...

i'll be interested to hear some knowledgeable answers...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I like the 1100.When they put all that plastic on shot guns they turned me off.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
But then again I use a 870 in 12 and 15 gauge.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I've had all 3,bought my 1100 mag at 15years old in 1970 30" full choke vent rib. Took awhile to learn how to maintain it for reliability.Clean chamber, mag tube and rings lightly lubed with the right lube(Hoppes spay MDL) and a clean recoil spring and housing would let it function with handicap trap loads pretty good but you have to stay right on top of it. The 2 3/4" 1100 barrel had 2 gas ports to function lighter loads but the Mag only has 1. My Mag was good with 1 1/4oz Express loads,short and long mags. I say again you need to keep on the maintenance hard especially in cold weather. No problem back then to pickup a 2 3/4" barrel with a mod choke and rib and put it on the Mag receiver either.NO LUBE DURING COLD WEATHER.As the use of steel came in they offered a barrel for the use of steel loads(different porting)

The 11-87 Light Contour model would function with 1 oz target loads to 2oz turkey loads no problem via the pressure compensating ring system they put in. The gun came in a green plastic case which needs to be put in a closet immediately(wears the finish) , was furnished with Rm chokes and would handle any and all steel loads I used in it. Again you need to stay on top of the maintenance end of the chamber,gas operating system with the right lube or none at all during real cold weather.The recoil spring and housing in the butt also needs a once a year clean out and light lube. The reg. model 11-87 weighed about 1 lb more and was a club compared to the 26" bareled Light- Contour model.

My first Beneli came in the winter of 94 a 24" Montefeltro model light and responsive but swung way to fast with the 24" barrel. Shot a lot of low gun skeet back then and 1500 rds of ammo thru it after buying it in Jan to the end of May. Struggled to slow up my swing with that short barrel. No reliabity problems what so ever. One day I walked into my favorite gunshop and they had just received the first wood stock M-1 Benelli Super 90's a 26" and 28" barreled models .I picked the 26" one out of the rack and only had to mount and swing it a couple of times before I asked the owner if he would consider a Montefeltro on trade he did and we did. I got the Monte on sale cheap and like new after paying boot to get the M-1 I was only into it for $675,normally then they ran$850.The M-1 had a shorter magazine and a high pitched rib supplied with 5 choke tubes. I cleaned the packing lube out of it and relubed where needed. Went 1200 rds before 1 failure to cycle. Couple drops of oil on the bolt rails and cleaned the chamber and lock lug recesses away it went. the Benelli system of course is a short spring recoil inertia system(inside the bolt) whereas the Remingtons were both gas operated.You keep a M-1 clean and it gives full service reliability. The Benellis also came with spacers to adjust the stock drop, never had to change mine as it fit great for me.I shot a lot of skeet ,sporting clays back then and have campaigned 4 different dogs with it in the field taking many grouse,pheasant waterfowl and other things with it. I think it has close to 20,000 rounds thru it and still shoots well for me.They need a cleaning ever now and then including the recoil spring ,recoil buffer,& recoil spring housing.

I also shoot M-11 rem and A-5's but you didn't ask bout them. Get either the 11-87 Light Contour or step up to a Benelli M-1 or M-2 Magnum Man

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I have roughly 50,000 rounds thru my Benelli M1 Super 90. I hunt it and shoot registered Sporting clays with it. Never a problem out of it. Clean it if it gets wet other wise just shoot the hell out of it. With that said all three will get the job done just more care needed for the Rem's.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Own all three but it's hard to beat the light weight and reliability of the Benelli. Like my 1100's better than the 11-87, for some reason they just feel better to me. You really can't go wrong with any of them.

`Bring Enough Gun`
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
i may be the only guy left in America who hasn't used a benelli...

if i went to an autoloader, it'd be for recoil reduction with slugs... does the benelli action have any recoil reduction attributes???

and does benelli offer a decent rifled barrel/ scope mounting system???

i have several friends who use the benelli for wingshooting but retain their 11-87s for slug guns...

i honestly have had no interest in shotguns since my last dog passed on... just bought an 870 last year for myself and one for my sons birthday this year, so that we could do more hunting close to home...
really want another dog...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
About the only Remingtons I DO like are their shotguns, keep them clean and they work well. I had an 1100 and an 11-87LC and loved them both, and never had a problem with either one, but I don't duck hunt or put them to really hard use, either. Some trap and sporting clays, plus some small game hunting is all I do.
Benellis don't fit me, so I've never owned one, but I've shot a few belonging to friends. I prefer the Remingtons.
I'm not rabid about it, though. The only shotgun I currently own is an 870................

Last edited by ratsmacker; 11/26/10.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've owned all 3. The Remington, especially the 11-87 are much better than they get credit for. A lot of guys swear the 1100 is much better. I never felt that way. For the money the 11-87, especially if you can find one with the "light contour" barrel is a good gun.

That said, I no longer own an 1100 or 11-87. I've got a couple of 870's and 2 Benelli M-1's. While I think the Remingtons are good autoloaders, I like the Benelli much better for my uses.

I never liked that the bolt release on the Remingtons was on the loading gate. When dove or ducks are coming in fast I have never been able to reload as fast as with the 870 or Benelli. Even with the light contour barrel the Remingtons are much heavier than the Benelli.

I duck hunt on small beaver ponds, usually located several miles from the road so walking long distances wearing hip boots and carrying all of my other gear is the norm. A lighter gun is appreciated. Same with Turkey hunting. My honey hole is a 5 mile walk from where I park. That is a 10 mile round trip every day I go turkey hunting.

If you plan to shoot a lot of clays and not carry your gun as far as I do the 11-87 may be a better choice. The added weight, and gas system will reduce felt recoil. The Benelli does kick more. But it still feels softer than my 870's and could certainly be no worse than any double. I don't hear the guys shooting doubles or pumps complain too much about their guns recoil.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
IC B3

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by plainsman456
But then again I use a 870 in 12 and 15 gauge.

You've got a real rarity there - I believe Remington only made 1 870 in 15 gauge! whistle

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can't compare, because I have only owned a 1100. I saw my first one in the prairie chicken fields in the 60's. It was love at first sight. I swore that I would have one before next season. I was clearing $42 per week and worked extra jobs. We had a new baby and were buying a little house. I sold my Mod 11 Rem 12ga, a Win Mod 06 .22 pump, and a Rem .22 pump for maybe $80 total, and bought the new 12ga 1100 Rem 26" plain mod barrel for $115. It served me well for 30-40 years and I still own it.

You are comparing Rems and Benelli. Now, my go to 12ga is a Win Super X2 26" that shoots everything from target loads to 3 1/2 Mags. It is a black, syn stocked, butt ugly shotgun, that shoots like a dream. They are same as a Browning Gold. Good luck.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I've owned all three of those mentioned as well as some Browning, Winchester, Franchi, and Beretta semi-autos. Of all the semi-auto shotguns I have a couple of old Browning A5's in the safe for class and nostalgia as that is what my Dad favored back in the day. I wouldn't feel terrible if a Beretta was the only choice I had, they're pretty fair guns. But my heart lies with my two Benelli M1S90's. For all around use the lightweight, handling, point ability, compactness, simplicity of maintenance and operation, and complete reliability of the Benelli M1�s has been unbeatable for me. In O/U guns the Beretta has the same No. 1 place for me in the field and gun safe.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by orion03
Own all three but it's hard to beat the light weight and reliability of the Benelli. Like my 1100's better than the 11-87, for some reason they just feel better to me. You really can't go wrong with any of them.

+1

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by johnw
if i went to an autoloader, it'd be for recoil reduction with slugs... does the benelli action have any recoil reduction attributes???

The action itself does not, however, the Comfortech stock system helps recoil reduction a good bit.

I used an 1100 for thirty some years (the same one). Then I got a Benelli M2. At first I thought it kicked just a hair more but after thousands of rounds I think it kicks just a bit less than the 1100.

I'll qualify that by saying all I shoot is the lightest field loads. Crank it up to slugs or waterfowl loads and I can't say for certain it would work the same.

Regarding the original question, after I got the M2 the 1100 went into the safe only to be taken out for nostalgia's sake. The M2 feels so much lighter I don't know how I humped that 1100 al those years.

As far as function, frankly I've had many more jams with the M2 but I'm pretty sure that comes down to the ammo I was using at the time.

People freak about the O-Ring on the 1100 but it seems like a non-issue to me. My 1100 (originally my Dad's) is from 1964 or '65 and the O-Ring has been changed once and that was only because I felt like it.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a new Remington anything today. I sincerely doubt they'll still be in business in ten years. Amongst their other screw-ups, they haven't been able to replace the 1100/11-87 design which has been shedding market share to the B-guns for years. The 105 Cti was a fiasco, and now the Versmax has been recalled before the guns were barely out of the factory.

Even people who want Big Green to succeed admit the quality has degraded in recent years.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have 4 of the Remingtons in the family. My 1100 was bought in the 70s when I was a teenager hunting doves and quail in Mississippi. My 1187 was bought in the late 80s and has been used hard hunting ducks and geese in the northeast. I have an 1187 supermag that is also used on waterfowl. When my daughter started waterfowl hunting I bought her an 1187 LC and had it cut down to fit her. All have been dependable and trouble free. I can't honestly say they've never malfunctioned but I don't remember one. I am however one who takes very good care on maintenance and I don't use light loads in the 1187s. My longtime hunting partner went with one of the Super Black Eagles when they first came out. I can tell you he had malfunctions when we shared blinds. He did in fact eventually sell it and went to an 1187 supermag and has not had any problems. I tried his SBE and didn't really like it, but that opinion may be shaded by a lifetime of using the Remingtons. As another post stated the shotguns are the only Remingtons I care to own. I know today's hunters are favoring the Benelli's and it's popular to bash the Remingtons but I prefer them and don't ever plan on buying a Benelli.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have had several of the 1100's ( still have 1) and a couple of different 11-87's. Never had a benelli. While I'm sure the benelli is a nice gun I certainly do not discount the remingtons as old technology. I have always had excellent service out of mine and maintenance is usually just a simple field strip and a wipe down of the magazine /gas assembly and swab out the bore. Oh and I have replaced the o ring a couple of time over the past 20 years just to be careful. Never had one fail me in the field.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
654 members (1234, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 17CalFan, 22magnut, 10gaugemag, 71 invisible), 2,760 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,648
Posts18,399,108
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.