Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I live in that camp for 3 weeks in November so comfort is a good thing. That green carpet is a thin outdoor carpet. Water and snow go right through into the ground. It also folds up to a nice small package for easy transport. We always have two in camp, wife and me, and up to six others. All of camp fits into our two pickup trucks. When we go west elk hunting we use just the one tent for everything, it is just the two of us.
huntsman22. wimmins work is why you have the wife along....GRIN
Actually clean up is about twice a week and takes about 10 min.

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
-10 in Wyoming Unit 100 two years ago and we got along fine. You can actually cook yourself out with a good stove stoked full-bore. A chunk or two of coal in my Cylinder Stove with the dampener pinched down will smolder pretty much all night and keep the edge off. And if it doesn't, me and my hunting buds are getting to the age where we're up at least a couple times a night anyway and can bank the stove if needed. A good sleeping bag is also key, as is having a good pad underneath you.

C
C
Huntsman22, I also like to have a little carpeting in my tent. It helps to keep things clean and dry. I think its worth the 2 minutes of trouble to unroll it to help keep pine needles out of my sleeping bag. I really dont like stepping on sticks on my way to stoke the fire at night either. Just felt like throwing in my two cents....grin

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Keep throwing two cents at 'clean' and purty soon you are talking real cash.....2 seconds to slip on yer bathroom slippers, also trumps two minutes for the rugging fug.....and less packing space.

You guys crack me up. This ain't the Ritz, it's hunting camp. If this is how you live in the woods, post some pics of how you live at home. I never much been into 'luxury'.......

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Don, you wear bathroom slippers in camp?

What happened to your crocs?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Keep throwing two cents at 'clean' and purty soon you are talking real cash.....2 seconds to slip on yer bathroom slippers, also trumps two minutes for the rugging fug.....and less packing space.

You guys crack me up. This ain't the Ritz, it's hunting camp. If this is how you live in the woods, post some pics of how you live at home. I never much been into 'luxury'.......

here are some thorofare hunting camp wall tents. everything is packed in by horses and mules 27 miles from the nearest dirt road. i worked for this outfit. you might notice the lack of frames for the tents and 0 floor. we put shoes on over 75 horses in 1 week before the sept. hunts started.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

mercy triumphs over judgement
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by smokepole
Don, you wear bathroom slippers in camp?

What happened to your crocs?

[Linked Image]

Smoke, my schlippers are under the cot, to the right. You can see 'em poking out, under there. But that ain't camp, that's where I live. Yup, in a floorless wall tent.......

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I do not like the Davis tents because you cannot get a true 5 foot wall height. What they call 5 feet finishes out about 4 1/2. Also, their roof pitch is shallower than some other brands, and their internal frames use 1 inch conduit, which tend to bend in the snow loads of 4th elk season here in Colorado. I have a 16 x 20 x 5 Davis that exhibits all these problems. I have a Montana Canvas 12 x 17 that has none of them-- Full 5 foot walls, 1 1/8 inch internal frame and cast angles, and steeper roof pitch. I have also used a Colorado
Tent in 16 x 20 x 5 over a lodgeple frame and found it good.
I would suggest you get at least a small square or trianular zippered/screened window in the upper back wall of the tent to allow cross ventilation when all the stoves and lanterns are on, especially if your ridgepole log fills up the opening. If you are not camping in snow, none of the above really matters. Good hunting!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Smoke, my schlippers are under the cot, to the right. You can see 'em poking out, under there. But that ain't camp, that's where I live. Yup, in a floorless wall tent.......

Well, it looks like you're keeping good company there.....

A wise man is frequently humbled.

zxc Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by whambasted

What happens if someone spills a drink or his bunk is not tight enough to bounce a quarter?

here are some thorofare hunting camp wall tents. everything is packed in by horses and mules 27 miles from the nearest dirt road. i worked for this outfit. you might notice the lack of frames for the tents and 0 floor. we put shoes on over 75 horses in 1 week before the sept. hunts started.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B3

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P

Having just spent most of a week in a place where we were experiencing gusts in excess of 60 mph at night, I'm a bit believer in heavy canvas duck a strong frame. There's a reason for these traditional designs. Our pipe was through the roof, but being rather an old pipe with loose joints, we had to guy wire it out to keep it stable, especially since we put the spark arrestor screen outside the tent. That prevents you from using a fly. I might experiment another time with the pipe out the back wall at a 60 degree angle, and a fly. But you want solid, strong, heavy if you're going to be in big winds.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by PeaEye

Having just spent most of a week in a place where we were experiencing gusts in excess of 60 mph at night, I'm a bit believer in heavy canvas duck a strong frame. There's a reason for these traditional designs. Our pipe was through the roof, but being rather an old pipe with loose joints, we had to guy wire it out to keep it stable, especially since we put the spark arrestor screen outside the tent. That prevents you from using a fly. I might experiment another time with the pipe out the back wall at a 60 degree angle, and a fly. But you want solid, strong, heavy if you're going to be in big winds.

Having your stove pipe run out of the roof doesn't exactly prevent you from using a full length fly, but definitely makes it a little harder. I have a laminated vinyl fly from Kirkham's here in Utah that has a stove-jack sewn into it just like my tent. I've only used it once so far, but it works great. Has grommets that attach over the same points as Davis's roof angles and has side guy ropes that run out to their own stakes. Dang near bullet proof, but also pretty heavy and bulky, which is why I've only used it once. If I were going on a Colorado 4th season or similar hunt, you can dang sure bet I'd have it along though.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Having a pre made fly with stove jack such as described kinda limits one of buying a $20 tarp every other year. And then when it gets a little battered, you use it as a floor

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Having a pre made fly with stove jack such as described kinda limits one of buying a $20 tarp every other year. And then when it gets a little battered, you use it as a floor

staple or pin a 2x2 ft. square of fiberglass cloth in the stovejack location on the cheapo tarp and cut the stovepipe circle out. cheap and easy.

mercy triumphs over judgement
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by saddlesore

Point taken, but the fly didn't cost me a dime. Had a buddy who was looking for a tent and I found him a screaming deal on a complete Kirkham's package (new 14x16 with aluminum internal frame, extended eves, two doors, screened side windows, and fly for $650.00) and he gifted me the fly for finding the deal and getting it bought.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (11point, 2500HD, 160user, 10ring1, 219 Wasp, 222Sako, 69 invisible), 2,837 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,334
Posts18,468,644
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.